• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gear shift notchiness

I used that stuff in my b-series trans, rebuilt with carbon synchros, a clutch-type LSD, and a shorter final drive. I actually used one part RTF and a bottle of Torco F-type friction modifier with the remainder the Synchrotech-blend MTF (2.3 qt total for the trans). The Synchrotech people told me that RTF would be worse shifting performance and that the Synchrotech MTF would be smoother. (I just ordered the RTF before I knew that so I figured I would use some.)

It was amazingly butter smooth. I will definitely try it in my NSX. I’m currently on the GM blend.

Edit: the Synchrotech-blend MTF by Torco is not the same as Torco MTF. You can order the blend from Synchrotech with free shipping and they send it super quickly. Great company.

Last edited:
Gear shift fights

my 92 is kind of tough getting from 3rd to 4th when shifting at a higher RPM. I have to use some force to get it in gear. Pausing between gears seem to help a bit.

Hi friends,new hear but been using the site for infotainment for a while & finally registered! I have a 91 base cpe,5 sp &for the last 2 years I've averaged 10k miles/year with not a whimper of gears 1-4 while sometimes 5th was a little difficult maybe 30% of the time. Now, I can only manage 2nd & 4th & that's with force and repetition & I have to shut the engine off to get in & out of reverse! I've changed the slave cylinder,clutch master cylinder, trans.fluid(atf with friction modifier) and all of this is how I can even have 2 & 4 as I didn't have anything before parts swap! I've checked shifter linkage,adjusted cable linkage....Running out of ideas & I'm pretty sure the trans is good as it went from before to after all at once.....any advice?

Is the clutch dragging? There are other items besides problems with the hydraulics (bent release fork, worn release bearing ......) that can cause a clutch to drag. With the car stopped and engine running, is the clutch noisy when you press the clutch pedal to the floor? The tell tale for dragging is typically grinding / balking going into reverse or first. If you are getting a clean release on the clutch, I think that puts the problem 'south' of the clutch.

How many miles do you have on your clutch and transmission. Your problem does not seem to fit the symptoms of a snap ring problem, more like good old synchro wear. However, since it is a 1991 is the gearbox serial number in the snap ring range?

Sounds like you have a dragging clutch if you can shift them with the engine off but not easily while driving. Clutch hydraulics is a good hint. But if it's new only the clutch remains.

my shifting issue was very minor comparing to yours. Everything was fine after changing the transmission (Honda) and clutch fluid.

Hi friends,new hear but been using the site for infotainment for a while & finally registered! I have a 91 base cpe,5 sp &for the last 2 years I've averaged 10k miles/year with not a whimper of gears 1-4 while sometimes 5th was a little difficult maybe 30% of the time. Now, I can only manage 2nd & 4th & that's with force and repetition & I have to shut the engine off to get in & out of reverse! I've changed the slave cylinder,clutch master cylinder, trans.fluid(atf with friction modifier) and all of this is how I can even have 2 & 4 as I didn't have anything before parts swap! I've checked shifter linkage,adjusted cable linkage....Running out of ideas & I'm pretty sure the trans is good as it went from before to after all at once.....any advice?

I'm going to see if I can get the local dealership to use this at my next service. How much should I order? https://www.ebay.com/itm/201588280571
I used that stuff in my b-series trans, rebuilt with carbon synchros, a clutch-type LSD, and a shorter final drive. I actually used one part RTF and a bottle of Torco F-type friction modifier with the remainder the Synchrotech-blend MTF (2.3 qt total for the trans). The Synchrotech people told me that RTF would be worse shifting performance and that the Synchrotech MTF would be smoother. (I just ordered the RTF before I knew that so I figured I would use some.)

It was amazingly butter smooth. I will definitely try it in my NSX. I’m currently on the GM blend.

Edit: the Synchrotech-blend MTF by Torco is not the same as Torco MTF. You can order the blend from Synchrotech with free shipping and they send it super quickly. Great company.

@ BATMANs
user-offline.png
Unfortunately not available in / to Germany.
All dealers deny to sent to Germany -(

Could be an option.
Will revert to you in about 2 weeks - If still valid, sending to Germany would be perfect from your side.
Would sent paypal payment to you prior dispatch for sure

Need me to ship some to there? before the tariffs? LOL

After 2k miles of driving it's just amazing.

Smoother shifting than anything I've tried. Even Amsoil Syncromesh and Honda white cap.

I would do again in my 500RWHP setup.

Anymore updates with Synchrotech MTF?

Did get it shipped to Germany via one of my US colleagues, stored 2 bottles each in my house.Did not use it up till now as I am changing my trans to a used but perfect shape 15k miles trans during a major service this month.
Service: New coupling, new timing belt & water pump, new LMA's, new crank shaft pulley, new cooling tank, new cooling hoses complete + trans -> $$$$$$

Last edited:
After 2k miles of driving it's just amazing.

Smoother shifting than anything I've tried. Even Amsoil Syncromesh and Honda white cap.

I would do again in my 500RWHP setup.

Hi Batman,

I have a turbo 1991 JDM 600 rwhp with os giken sports clutch and ATS LSD. My gear shift is notchy at times. would you recommend this the Tarco synchrotech mtf ? i have tried buying from ebay but they dont ship to Malaysia. Can I trouble you to ship it to me ? I can do paypal.

TIA

Back