• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gerry Johnson custom turbo kit and my 91

Well I guess this would be a good time to give an update to my Gerry Johnson Turbo kit installed on my 91 NSX. There are so many things that we have done to the car that I really don’t know where to start.

Construction: The piping is all very nicely designed and the welds are the best that I have ever seen in my life. The piping is very nice allowing you to still use headers instead of a manifold. The flanges that are bolted from the turbo piping to the headers are all laser cut. The intercooler is mounted in front of the new rear valence, with four 5.2 inch Spal puller fans mounted on the back to assist with air flow through the intercooler which is a custom 7x24 inch core. The turbo is a Garrett T-04 gravity fed back to the oil pan, With a Deltagate II wastegate. We have just installed (last week) a Aquamist 2d water injection system for additional cooling of the intake charge. So far it is pretty impressive it is a new system that learns and programs itself. It measure the injector duty cycle and boost, which allows it to adjust the amount of water that is sprayed into the intake pipe without the pain of building your own tables. I also have the sweet sound of an HKS racing blowoff valve mounted right before the throttle body. I love that swoooosh sound.

Electronics: Boost control is handled by a Blitz SBC-ID meter. With the complimentary Blitz power meter mounted next to it for Hp and speed measurements (somewhat accurate). Engine management is controlled by an Electromotive TEC II system mounted in the trunk. The TEC II gives you the ability to 100 percent tune all aspects of the motor, which is very nice. The turbo timer is also manufactured by Blitz.

Fuel delivery: Gerry installed a Denso racing fuel pump delivering all the fuel via steel braided lines to the fuel rails, With a nice NOS fuel regulator and filter. We also installed 680cc injectors, for my dream of one day scraping enough pennies to get the motor done with the darton sleaves and low compression pistons.

Driving impressions: The car is very amazing to drive and will leave you quite speechless. I find myself making excuse to go places, like intentionally forgetting things at the store so I can go for another ride. I have full boost (8-10 psi) between 2500 and 3500 rpms. I have no turbo lag that I can feel at all. The torque is unbelievable in the lower RPM range. The Vtec is setup to trigger at 4k and feels very nice when it does. I used to drive the car very hard (redline quite often), I now find myself shifting at a very modest 4-5k RPM’s because unless your racing there is no need to take it any higher, There is just so much torque down low. We will be taking the car to the dyno hopefully in the next two weeks for final tuning and I will post the results when we do. If anyone is in the CA area and would like to take it for a ride let me know. I live in northern ca, about 20 minutes from Gerry, but I often go down to the LA area.

Support: I find that Gerry is very easy to get a hold of and has no problem talking to me on the phone for hours answering any questions or helping me understand different things that we have done to the car. We have spent numerous times working on the car until 4 in the morning installing various items. He pays very close attention to detail and is very meticulous of his work. He cut absolutely no corners on any part of the install regardless of how long it took to do it correctly. I would recommend his turbo kit or engine work to anyone. I have had the Turbo kit on the car for almost five months now and it is my daily driver. I have had no problems whatsoever.

I have driven every flavor of forced induction (Gruppe M, Comptech high boost, and BBSC) and owned one of them. I do not think that they really even compare to the GJ Turbo. The Turbo has much more grunt and is almost limitless in what you can do with it, Probably the best option is you can adjust the boost on the fly (0-whatever) and you can adjust the spool rate (0-100%) all from the cockpit via the boost controller. TURBO is definitely the way to go. Period…If you think differently lets go for a ride.

Below is a link to see pictures of my car and turbo kit. Also below is a complete list of modifications done to the car. Keep in mind when viewing the pictures that the exhaust is still not ceramic coated and the intake pipe is not chromed yet. I was getting to impatient to drive it during the install, so I did not want to wait for the pipes to get done. Now it is hard to let it go for a few days to get the pipes coated. I am having too much fun driving it.

http://www.pansx.com/yellownsx/

ENGINE
Electromotive Total Engine Control II engine management system
Custom T-04 Turbo kit by Gerry Johnson at Performance Autoworx (Modesto)
Blitz SBC-ID boost controller
Blitz Power ID meter
Blitz Turbo timer
HKS racing blowoff valve
Deltagate II wastegate
Garrett T-04 Turbo
Custom intercooler
RC 680 cc injectors
Denso racing fuel pump w/braided fuel lines
Dali Racing coolant tank
Dali Racing Polished Injector cover
Dali Racing Polished coil covers
Dali Racing Strut Bar
Dali Racing Wire covers A+B
Polished Alternator
Dali Racing polished fuse box cover
Greddy Oil Catch can
K+N intake filter
DC Headers
Honda Type R intake cover
Centerforce Stage II clutch
Aquamist 2d water injection system
4 gallon RCI fuel cell for the water injection reservoir
4 Spal puller fans (5.2 inch) mounted to the intercooler.

AUDIO SYSTEM
Alpine 7996 DVD/CD player
Alpine M760 6.5 inch LCD
Highs: Kenwood tweaters
Mids: MB quartz 6.5 inch
Sub: JL Audio 10-W6
Custom fiber glass sub enclosure
PPI 160 4 channel amp for doors and center channel
Rockford Fosgate 250M amp for sub power
Honda Navigation pod for monitor

BODY
Custom Ferrari Giallo Modena yellow paint by Thai at T+T Autobody (San Jose)
Wings West Front nose
Wings West Side skirts
03 Rear Valence
NSX Type R door badge
NSX Type R door sill plates
Custom center console
White Gauges w/blue background
Stone shield AC screen
Stone shield radiator screen
03 Acura Badge
Dali Racing dual scoop hood
Custom Engine cover w/screen
Gruppe M short shifter knob
Custom Trunk inclusure with Fans
NSX Type R style side scoops
Eibach 1.25 inch lowering springs

BRAKES
Dali Racing Steel Braided brake lines (f+r)
Tar-ox 10 piston calipers and 13 inch rotors
Project U brake pads rear

Turbo NSX said:
I was getting to impatient to drive it during the install, so I did not want to wait for the pipes to get done. Now it is hard to let it go for a few days to get the pipes coated. I am having too much fun driving it.

LOL, D'ecosse predicted that would happen!!! Glad to hear you're having fun. Thanks for a great writeup.

Nice write up, I just spent over a hour on the phone with Gerry about the setup, try to do that with Mark Bash. I think this is the best setup's and with the most power around. I am going to get this installed on my car when he has some free time. I am going to get the motor done as well. Forget Mark and the BBSC, if I can not get a call back I sure would hate to have a problem or worse yet need something! Go ahead BBSC people you know the support is not there.

what a gorgeous set-up
i really like the place for the intercooler, defently say a big statement for the person you just beat in a race
i would really like to see dyno numbers
i'm using the nitrous now but defently like the look of this kit
i wonder how it compares to the Cybernation kit in Ft Lauderdale?

Awesome! Man, I can not wait. I have had my NSX for about 5 years and was waiting for someone to do a GOOD turbo and now they are starting to come out. No more underpowered car. :)

Oh Man ,

Compared to that I'm in the Dinasour age with my chincy little areodyne setup always on the verge of explosion.

Tell me,, have you upgraded the pistons?

and what is the clutch used? can't be stock.

Dave R

Turbo,

Great setup. Gerry is an artist, not to mention one hell of a mechanic. To reiterate a statement many of my friends have heard me utter, "Your forced induction car is only as good as your tuner."

Congrats!

Ben

Looks great, Nice and clean. How much did it cost and how long did it take to install? I might fly out just for a ride:D

Ryanmcd2 said:
I just spent over a hour on the phone with Gerry about the setup
hahaha... poor gerry. his phone must be ringing off the hook. i had him on the phone for about 20 minutes earlier today after i read chris' (black&tan97tblahblah) post.
the kit looks nice. can't wait for my ride!!

Does the intercooler catch a lot of heat coming off the muffler? Looks nice. If I could afford an NSX this package would be next on the shopping list.

The price for each kit would be based on what you have done. Gerry would probably be the best one to answer that question. I think that at this point all the kits are custom for each car based on the owners desires. The install time would also vary based on the kit that is installed, another Gerry question.

As far as the intercooler getting hot. We have a couple of solutions for that. We have already made a metal heat shield that mounts on the back side of the muffler(you can see it in the pics). This greatly reduces alot of the heat that would normally have gone through the intercooler. We are also going to wrap the muffler with another type of heatshield (I think its kinda like header wrap). That will eliminate a little more heat. Then we have the four fans mounted on the intercooler. At this point they are mounted on the back side of the intercooler pulling air from the front. I think I am going to experiment with mounting them on the front side and pull air from the back of the car. I will probably do that tomorrow. And I will post the results. We also have a "ramp" that is normally mounted on the bottom of the intercooler to direct air flow up through the intercooler, but I took it off for now to see what the effect of just the fans are by themselves. The overall temperature of the intercooler does not get that warm (it is slightly above ambient temperature after a good hard run).

We also have the water injection system to add just that much more cooling effect to the manifold air temp. Which really adds alot of cooling effect. The link to aquamist is http://www.aquamist.co.uk
Alot of people say that you do not even need a intercooler with water injection system.

Sorry spooler forgot to answer your questions. The block at this point is completely stock. The clutch is a centerforce and is supposed to handle 100% more HP.

Also when we go to the dyno I will post those plots. I also plan on turning up the boost to at least 10 psi and run it on a daily basis. I want to push the limits of the stock motor and see what it can handle. With the water injection we should be able to push it that much harder.

Gerry has said the initial cost including installation and intercooler was 6500. It might have gone up since then. Somewhere on this forum he has also listed exactly what you get for your 6500. Do a search, I'm too lazy.

Thx Turbo,

Be careful with that boost. But, you may be OK because your fueling will be precise and you are using the water injection. I'm adding that next also.

These car's are just incredible Boosted. It's like driving a little GT-1 car on the street, plus the fact that they are so specialized to begin with, It's just a whole other Level. My car is really quick, I can just imagine what your's is going to be like.

If your ever around L.A. , I will need a ride lol.

enjoy Dave R

could the muffler be positioned more flush with the underbody to allow more airflow through the intercooler?
do you have any better pics of the underside of the car?

supergreen125 said:
hahaha... poor gerry. his phone must be ringing off the hook. i had him on the phone for about 20 minutes earlier today after i read chris' (black&tan97tblahblah) post.
the kit looks nice. can't wait for my ride!!

Hehe, I've been emailing Gerry over the past few months as well, and he's always been excellent in answering my questions. I am still deciding, but his kit is the forerunner.

Thanks for the writeup, Turbo NSX!

-CiaoBoy

Back