• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Giving back: Cookbook/guide to help guide newbie NSX shoppers

I've been pretty much chained to a computer for the past 3 weeks while tending to an intense work project requiring many extra hours. Caused me to miss NSXPO this year... :( But an increase in NSXpriming during my "smoking breaks" at work has me wanting to post something I've been pondering for a while now. I was asked a question via PM this weekend by a newbie shopper, and I was able to answer by copy/pasting my similar response to another newbie shopper from a few weeks ago. Out of curiosity I did a search for "newbie question" and was entertained to see how many repeat questions popped up....

I remember officially starting my NSX search by joining NSXprime & NSXCA and spending hours on the Prime wiki as well as sorting thru posts in this sub-forum (which I think at one time a few years ago was called something like "new & prospective owners"). The more educated and self-sufficient I tried to get, the more questions I had, resulting in unavoidable PM's and bumping threads or creating new threads for questions that have been asked repeatedly over the past decade and keep getting asked by newbies now & then. Now that I can look back upon that phase with a more experienced viewpoint, I remember sifting thru the wealth of info in the forums & wiki to be like trying to learn a language by reading a book where the chapters weren't numbered and where I wasn't interacting with anyone; most everything was there in front of me but I had a hard time putting things into sequence and context and priority for a shopper... And occasionally I'd stumble upon a thread with some discussion of first-hand experience that really helped "flavor" the info in the wiki.

Once I owned one and posted a "new owner" story, the shoe was on the other foot and almost instantly I started receiving emails with the same type of questions was asking over the past year. Here are ones I remember asking myself and/or have been asked or keep seeing posted repeatedly now & then:

-what are NSX model differences & operating costs, what are the "best" years of nsx to own
-where are the best websites or resources to shop for NSX's
-"nsx regrets" (real-life lessons to learn from!)
-how have people financed theirs lately
-how much should I expect to spend, is this a good price to pay for this NSX, where's good to research market prices
-do mods increase or decrease nsx value or reliability
-how long can you really go between timing belt changes
-what should I do about a car being in snap ring range, how much should I negotiate down in price, should I proactively replace the case now, how can I tell the snap ring is going "bad," is there a registry for tracking which trans's in the snap ring range have failed, has anyone come up with a way to proactively predict or measure whether the groove (chamfer actually) is "bad" since a cover can be removed and the snap ring can be viewed (the answer to that last one is No).
-is buying a salvaged NSX ok, should I consider this salvaged NSX, is paint/bodywork a big deal
-who/where are known NSX gurus near me, should I just go to a dealership for service

These are all super fair questions even if some of them are subjective and ones only the buyer him/herself can answer. But I really enjoyed helping a half dozen or so shoppers who PM'd me with questions in the past 5 months after I was suddenly perceived as an "experienced NSX guy" and guiding them to resources to help them answer their own questions - in fact I feel personally responsible for helping connect two buyers with two sellers whom I was in contact with during my search, one of them being a 19k mile '92 GPW that I passed on only because the my '93 appeared just as I was getting ready to make a move on that '92, and that feels really gratifying.

But as an engineer with an insatiable urge to want to improve things and make them more efficient if possible, I see an opportunity to help newbies to use currently-existing resources better, almost in the form of a list of links in a "bedtime story book" fashion where they could efficiently answer questions they don't even know they have yet as a new shopper. This could also help the experienced owners here by giving them somewhere to point to when they're asked questions by a newbie shopper. As much as I enjoy seeing shawn110975 repeatedly point newbies to the honda tuning buyer's guide, or nsxtasy and other tire/wheel gurus generously help demystify newbie fitment questions in great detail in a new thread every 3 months, or Larry Bastanza occasionally chiming in with always helpful tidbits, or Coconut's trying to help shoppers locate good deals...I can't help but think that everyone might benefit from a "sequenced list" of typical newbie shopper links to existing Prime wiki articles and "popular" threads that turned into defacto wiki articles themselves.

So, whether this thread takes off or not, I'm going to start organizing a "sequenced new nsx shopper bedtime story list" of links to nsxprime wiki articles, nsxprime threads, and non-nsxprime weblinks in this thread. I've been a bit of a pack rat when it comes to subscribed threads - I have over 100 subscribed threads that I organized into various folders during my search that helped me immensely both during my search and when answering PM's by shoppers asking certain questions. I even refer back to them frequently for myself. So adding those here will be easy for me. I went for a long ride in my NSX last weekend and I'm still riding the buzz from that.... so this is also in response to the gratitude I still feel from the huge help I got during my search from Prime people, especially thedon67, Larry B, nsxtasy, alum04org, Teej, redbird92, shawn110975, pbassjo, Phoen$x, 99NCNCX, SOS & Source1, etc. What comes around should ideally go around...

Later in the week I'll start adding links here to the wiki & certain threads & weblinks in what seems to be a logical order/hierarchy for the newbie shopper. Feel free to post key links here that you think are valuable and I'll add them in, and feel free to chime in on suggestions for sequencing or whatever catches your eye - there are a lot of smarter people than me here on Prime and I feel I learn something new each week here - so don't be shy or think I have some personal agenda I want to display, lol.

Have a good week and I'm looking forward to having a thread I can point newbies to when they PM me for help, to give them the best help possible. I'm always super happy to read an exuberant post by a new NSX owner, so this is also my selfish way of speeding up the process of getting new "new owner" bedtime stories to read.

Later in the week I'll start adding links here to the wiki
I love the concept and your enthusiasm .. and I'm not trying to put a damper on it .. but I believe that Lud still has the Wiki locked down from any additions/changes. So for now you might just want to use a thread to capture your ideas/content and depending on how it goes, you could later move the text into a .doc (or other) format and then create a .pdf which could be uploaded and made available. Personally, I'm still a Wiki fan but until Lud takes the shackles off again, don't count on it as the vehicle for your idea.
Just to clarify .. you can point to the Wiki from a thread .. but you won't be able to put your answers and list of links into the Wiki as it exists today.

Last edited:
The beauty of it is that I'm suggesting to use existing resources by just listing links to areas of the wiki, links to existing threads, and links to other websites in a bit of of a sequence or organized fashion to help newbie shoppers who start out by being overwhelmed with the wiki and the forum. Not looking to edit the wiki nor rehash wiki info here. Just list links. I've read enough "newbie question" threads and I've received enough PM's from new members asking me certain questions during their hunt that I see a pattern and think I can help. I don't mind one bit helping newbies who ask me questions, but I'm finding more and more that I am able to respond by just pointing to a few links to help my response.

Example: most NSX purchase inspection lists include verifying certain things which results in repeated questions about windows, radio/HVAC, timing belt, snap ring etc. So in the list here might be something like:

SNAP RING:
-link to wiki page explaining what it is
-link to Mark Basch's article on the snap ring
-link to the TSB in the wiki
-link to a nsxprime thread discussing an owner's experience when his failed, including really good photos
-link to a nsxprime thread discussing attempts to design a test jig to proactively verify the snap ring groove chamfer w/o having to disassemble the trans case
-link #1 to what an experienced Nsx tech chose to do about his Nsx with a trans that's "in snap ring range"
-link #2

Etc...

Hang on for the ride and keep checking back here. You might think of some key links or subject matter to include!

How about advice on how to separate oneself from a beloved S2000 first? I've done months of research and looked at a couple of NSXs. I can't afford both (according to the wife), but so far I just have not been able to put the FOR SALE sign on the S2K. I really need an NSX test drive....

DSCN1075.jpg

A good tip: Do not be ashamed to PM people for advice or help! During the course of my search I've pestered countless members for advice, or history of a car, or information on issues on their car which were similar to one I was looking at. This is one of the most helpful communities I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of, and everyone has gone out of their way to be helpful.

How about advice on how to separate oneself from a beloved S2000 first? I've done months of research and looked at a couple of NSXs. I can't afford both (according to the wife), but so far I just have not been able to put the FOR SALE sign on the S2K. I really need an NSX test drive....

View attachment 106722

That is such a beautiful S that you will get zero advice here on how to separate yourself from something like that, my friend!!!

I won't put this on the shopper helper list either but you could search prime for a thread by nsxnick on how to buy an Nsx with cash and then have both....

A good tip: Do not be ashamed to PM people for advice or help! During the course of my search I've pestered countless members for advice, or history of a car, or information on issues on their car which were similar to one I was looking at. This is one of the most helpful communities I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of, and everyone has gone out of their way to be helpful.

Yep! And hopefully the list here helps shoppers with 80% of their questions, and then can handle the remaining 20% like you describe or with posts on prime, though I would not use the word "pestered." :)

Btw please remind me - have you ever driven one yet?

Vivan, we'll work on correcting that before the white stuff comes down.

Ok, here's my first entry while dinner is heating up. I literally copied/pasted these links from subscribed threads in my "snap ring info" mail folder and from an email I just shared with a new buyer last weekend so it took me longer to bold the text than copy/paste. If anyone can think of add'l or better links to include, please respond here. THX

SNAP RING
link to wiki explaining what it is, symptoms to look for, verifying transmission #, etc.
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Transmission

links to Mark Basch's article on the snap ring
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/37763-Snap-Ring-Information
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/info/article_read.cfm?articleID=157

link to the Acura TSB in the wiki (TSB_93-007)
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Technical_Service_Bulletins

link to a nsxprime thread discussing an owner's experience when his failed, including really good photos
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/126450-Think-I-had-a-snap-ring-failure-(

links to nsxprime threads discussing attempts to design a test jig to proactively verify the snap ring groove chamfer w/o having to disassemble the trans case
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-ring-repair?p=1569245&viewfull=1#post1569245
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ion-failures?p=1432089&viewfull=1#post1432089

links discussing options to consider when buying a car in snap ring range and what others chose to do about Nsx's with a trans that's in snap ring range (including Larry B!)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...trans-How-many?p=302014&viewfull=1#post302014
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ion-failures?p=1432089&viewfull=1#post1432089

- - - Updated - - -

not in real life, only in my dreams. Sometimes I'll kick my wife on a downshift :D

I forgot to also say - watch out for how you get in & out of bed past her. You don't want to unnecessarily accelerate bolster wear when it can easily be avoided.

In regards to the snap ring make sure you mention that just because your car is not in snap ring range that it can still fail. Mine failed and was about 100 numbers away from the snap ring range.

I personally think that is information overload for a NSX Shopper. I would keep it very simple and consumable in 30 seconds or less. Provide all that stuff that you have as a "in case you want to know more", but I know that I wouldn't bother clicking all those links if I was shopping. Something more along the lines of (copied from the Wiki):

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Snap Ring"
"Snap ring failure" refers to a small metal ring in the transmission that breaks (shatters) as a result of the stresses put on it by an improperly manufactured transmission case. The snap ring itself is not the cause of the problem, just the symptom. There is a groove in the case which is cut too wide on some transmission. This allows the snap ring to twist as the countershaft moves back and forth under load. The more load, the more twist. If the snap ring does twist (like rolling a rubber band inside-out) then it shatters in many pieces.

The snap ring failure is limited to transmission numbers J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978. These transmission numbers are limited to 1991 and 1992 model year vehicles. You cannot determine whether a car is in the range for possible failure by VIN number, you MUST check the TRANSMISSION NUMBER because the transmissions were not installed in sequential order by VIN number. See [Transmission_and_Engine_Numbers] for instructions on locating the transmission number.
It is important to note, however, that the problem does not exist on all transmissions in this range. The range simply identifies transmissions which may have the problem.

For more information, here are the full set of links on the problem
[insert your big list]

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That tells someone right away what the problem is and whether they care enough to read more about it. Quite honestly, the above information is all that 90% of all people need to know about Snap Ring.

I agree that a short summary of each topic/issue would be great, but it seems that could be added later.

I have a suggestion: collect all this information by editing your original post, so that the post would maintain all the information at the top.

In regards to the snap ring make sure you mention that just because your car is not in snap ring range that it can still fail. Mine failed and was about 100 numbers away from the snap ring range.

THANKS! I forgot that. I saw a comment about that by Larry and wanted to highlight that too. Thanks for the heads up!!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that a short summary of each topic/issue would be great, but it seems that could be added later.

I have a suggestion: collect all this information by editing your original post, so that the post would maintain all the information at the top.

Good idea but I have mixed feelings about that. I often thought similarly too in regards other people's threads where info or names kept being added/revised, but then I realized it's difficult to tell when something new is added or revised. I may just keep bumping, then when all is said and done, I'll go back up the 1st post and and edit/add.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally think that is information overload for a NSX Shopper. I would keep it very simple and consumable in 30 seconds or less. Provide all that stuff that you have as a "in case you want to know more", but I know that I wouldn't bother clicking all those links if I was shopping. Something more along the lines of (copied from the Wiki):

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That tells someone right away what the problem is and whether they care enough to read more about it. Quite honestly, the above information is all that 90% of all people need to know about Snap Ring.

Thanks for the thought! But I generally disagree 100%. :)

As a prior shopper myself and also one who's received numerous "mind if I ask you about" or "what do you think about" questions from current shoppers, where the questions keep having a similar theme of wanting to understand something better that they saw in a thread, I think some shoppers like digging in and understanding all the facts, especially ones from those who have been there. That's why IMHO that some of the discussions in threads about something with personal input from members (even if the wiki covers that subject in general terms) can be so helpful. What's tough though is that the discussions are spread out all over in various threads all over Prime. I'm just organizing links to discussion threads that I've come across that I think have been complementary to the wiki and super helpful to me personally!

As for adding text, that unfortunately is completely opposite of what I'm aiming for. :) I see no benefit to reinventing the wheel or re-summarize any text already in the wiki or in discussion threads. I just plan to point to currently existing wiki & thread links and let the reader/shopper take it from there. BUT please keep following along and inputting ideas as I grow my garden here, blue!! Thx for the input!

Last edited:
[QUOTE=Yinzer]I won't put this on the shopper helper list either but you could search prime for a thread by nsxnick on how to buy an Nsx with cash and then have both....[/QUOTE]

Lol, I'll give it a try

Btw please remind me - have you ever driven one yet?

Me neither. This is as close as I have come. Going nowhere fast as they say ('til the annoyed dealer shooed me out of the $74k/5k mi 2005 NSX).

DSCN0686.jpg

Last edited:
Today's update. New content in red. May not update daily. Enjoy/comment/feedback/suggest additions or revisions.

REAL-WORLD PRICING & VALUES
NEW
link to discussion where owners actually talk about their buy prices NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/177272-What-did-YOU-pay-for-your-NSX-%28and-when-%29

link to owner discussion on various values & pricing tools
NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...eck-book-values-lately?highlight=appreciation

DO I REALLY WANT AN NSX??? (JUSTIFICATION / SELF-DOUBT / PRE-PURCHASE QUESTIONING)
NEW
link to the "NSX regret thread"
NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/150914-The-NSX-Regret-thread

link to good real-word discussion over NSX mojo and its power or "lack thereof"
NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/176214-So-why-is-290hp-not-enough-nowadays?highlight=290+HP

SNAP RING
link to wiki explaining what it is, symptoms to look for, verifying transmission #, etc.

link to a nsxprime thread discussing an owner's experience when his failed, including really good photos
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/126450-Think-I-had-a-snap-ring-failure-(

links documenting that snap rings out of "the range" can and do fail NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ng-failure-(?p=1213285&viewfull=1#post1213285
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Transmission#Are_all_transmission_outside_the_range_OK.3F

links to nsxprime threads discussing attempts to design a test jig to proactively verify the snap ring groove chamfer w/o having to disassemble the trans case
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-ring-repair?p=1569245&viewfull=1#post1569245

links discussing options to consider when buying a car in snap ring range and what others chose to do about Nsx's with a trans that's in snap ring range (including Larry B!)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...trans-How-many?p=302014&viewfull=1#post302014

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Mug
Great idea! Thanks for your time and effort.
Glad to help. So far has just been a matter of cutting/pasting links from my subscribed folders and from a few emails sent to fervent shoppers...

- - - Updated - - -

Today's update. New content in red. I've already heard from a shopper for whom this helped him find info he hadn't come across yet but was going to start looking. So that's cool.

Key NSX shopping links

REAL-WORLD PRICING & VALUES

link to discussion where owners actually talk about their buy prices
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/177272-What-did-YOU-pay-for-your-NSX-%28and-when-%29

link to owner discussion on various values & pricing tools

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...t=appreciation

SHOPPING TOOLS (financing, carfax/autocheck)
NEW
link to essentially a "free Carfax" essentially ("AutoCheck - see post #4) NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/175387-Carfax-alternative-Free

links to popular financing options (Penfed)
NEW
tbd

links for where to look for NSXs for sale
NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...-besides-Primehttp://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...SX-I-can-help!

PICKING AND LIVING WITH AN NSX - DO I REALLY WANT AN NSX???
(JUSTIFICATION/INSPIRATION/SELF-DOUBT/SETTLING/PRE-PURCHASE QUESTIONING)

link to the "settling for a color" thread NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...ng-for-a-color

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/176214-So-why-is-290hp-not-enough-nowadays?highlight=290+HP
links about daily/frequent driving and/or living with an NSX NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/153392-Owner-who-drives-their-NSX-alot!!
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...ly-driving-NSX

(WARNING: DON'T GO INTO THE FOLLOWING 3 IF YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO BE TEMPTED)
link to Motor Trend NSX/LFA video NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/164147-Lexus-LFA-vs-Acura-NSX!-Head-2-Head-Episode-13-Motor-Trend
link to "You Need To Buy An Acura NSX Now" NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...he-classic-NSX
link to GPW joy (I'm smelling what he's cooking and picking up what he's laying down) NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...hanged-my-life

NSX Achilles' heel #1 to understand while shopping: SNAP RING

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...ng-Information
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/info/ar...?articleID=157

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Technic...vice_Bulletins

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...ng-failure-%28

links documenting that snap rings out of "the range" can and do fail
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...=1#post1213285
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Transmi...he_range_OK.3F

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...=1#post1569245
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...=1#post1432089

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...l=1#post302014
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...=1#post1432089

NSX Achilles' heel #2 to understand while shopping: WINDOWS NEW
link to the NSXPRime wiki on window issues & solutions NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Categor...ur_NSX#Windows

links regarding the Hugabuga updgrade kits
(there are more thru the wiki link above) NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...r-upgrade-kits
tbd to come

links regarding the Dali window fix-it thingies (there are more thru the wiki link above) NEW
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog...g.cfm?focus=57

NSX Achilles' heel #3 to understand while shopping: HVAC/RADIO GREMLINS NEW
tbd to come

Last edited:
Today's update:

Note: new buyers are still going to have to dig & ask questions & get a feel for things in general. This isn't proposing to be a "this is all you need" list. But these links are key to helping you get a feel for what to look for while you're reading up & researching, and to point out certain forum discussion threads that I personally felt were helpful to me and still are to this day.

Once these iterations & updates are over, I'll edit/add the list to post #1 in this thread.

Feel free to add/suggest/propose and point out key discussions that have helped you.

This venture is helping remind me of some great threads I enjoyed reading last year and am now caught back up with.

KEY LINKS FOR NEW SHOPPERS

MUST-HAVE: NSXPRIME.COM WIKI/FAQ!!
NSXPRIME.com WIKI (originally was NSX FAQ): NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/NSXPrime:Wiki_Project

PICKING AN NSX, LIVING WITH AN NSX IN GENERAL - DO I REALLY WANT AN NSX???

links about daily/frequent driving and/or living with an NSX
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/153392-Owner-who-drives-their-NSX-alot!!
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/150963-Daily-driving-NSX

link to the "settling for a color" threadhttp://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/115258-settleing-for-a-color

link to Motor Trend NSX/LFA video
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/164147-Lexus-LFA-vs-Acura-NSX!-Head-2-Head-Episode-13-Motor-Trend

link to "You Need To Buy An Acura NSX Now"
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/174880-Drive-highly-praising-the-classic-NSX

link to GPW joy (I'm smelling what he's cooking and picking up what he's laying down)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/152877-How-the-NSX-has-changed-my-life

NSXPRIME.com wiki covering all kinds of "Purchasing an NSX" info (covers many subjects; some content may be a little dated but few things have changed over the past decade, including NSX values) NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:purchasing_an_NSX

link to very good forum discussion by member "Coconut" that covers many bases for where to start!!
NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/165179-Need-help-finding-your-dream-NSX-I-can-help!

link to essentially a "free Carfax" essentially
("AutoCheck - see post #4)

links to popular financing options discussed by NSXPrime members

tbd (Penfed)

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/159340-Places-to-look-for-NSX-for-sale-besides-Prime
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/165179-Need-help-finding-your-dream-NSX-I-can-help!

HOW MUCH SHOULD I EXPECT TO SPEND:
wiki link to NSX pricing/values (is dated but - NSX values have not declined much in the last decade, on average)NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Pricing

wiki link to likely maintenance costs NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:purchasing_an_NSX NEW

link to forum discussion where owners actually talk about their buy prices (REAL-WORLD PRICING & VALUES DISCUSSION)

link to forum discussion by NSX owners regarding various online pricing tools (and NSX values)

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...eck-book-values-lately?highlight=appreciation

link to owner discussion on various recent maintenance/service costs/mods NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/177551-How-Much-Did-You-Spend-Immediately-on-Maintenance-Mods

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ng-failure-(?p=1213285&viewfull=1#post1213285
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Transmission#Are_all_transmission_outside_the_range_OK.3F

link to the NSXPRime wiki on window issues & solutionshttp://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Repairing_Your_NSX#Windows

(there are more thru the wiki link above)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/136481-Window-regulator-upgrade-kits
tbd to come

links regarding the Dali window fix-it thingies (there are more thru the wiki link above)
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/gotta_have/gotta_wind_reg.cfm?focus=57

NSX Achilles' heel #3 to understand while shopping: HVAC/RADIO GREMLINS NEWtbd to come

Last edited:
Some morning updates over coffee.

BEDTIME STORY LINKS FOR SHOPPERS

Based on my experience at least, these are the types of threads you're going to be looking for as a new NSX shopper. So here are most of them right in front of you.
Why? Because anytime someone helped my shopping experience, I appreciated it to no end. Just hoping to return the favor. Also owning an NSX has been one of the most fulfilling "material" experiences ever and I'd like to help others seeking the same car.

NSXPRIME.com WIKI (originally was NSX FAQ):

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/176214-So-why-is-290hp-not-enough-nowadays

NSXPrime disucssions that I thought were very insightful and entertaining
link to the "settling for a color" thread
link to the "Frustrated in my NSX Search" thread
NEW

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/174880-Drive-highly-praising-the-classic-NSX

link to NSX zendom
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/152877-How-the-NSX-has-changed-my-life

NSXPRIME.com wiki covering all kinds of "Purchasing an NSX" info (covers many subjects; some content may be a little dated but few things have changed over the past decade, including NSX values)
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Purchasing_an_NSX

link to very good forum discussion by member "Coconut" that covers many bases for where to start!!

Penfed financing process NEW
Financing older than 10 yr old cars NEW
Discussion on financing a 20yr old, 100k mile car NEW

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/159340-Places-to-look-for-NSX-for-sale-besides-Prime

HOW MUCH SHOULD I EXPECT TO SPEND:
wiki link to NSX pricing/values (is dated but - NSX values have not declined much in the last decade, on average)

wiki link to likely maintenance costs

link to forum discussion where owners actually talk about their buy prices
(REAL-WORLD PRICING & VALUES DISCUSSION)

link to forum discussion by NSX owners regarding various online pricing tools (and NSX values)

link to owner discussion on various recent maintenance/service costs/mods http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/177551-How-Much-Did-You-Spend-Immediately-on-Maintenance-Mods

link to the NSXPRime wiki on window issues & possible solutions
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Repairing_Your_NSX#Windows

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/136481-Window-regulator-upgrade-kits
tbd to come

links regarding the Dali window fix-it thingies (there are more thru the wiki link above)

NSX Achilles' heel #3 to understand while shopping: HVAC/RADIO/electrical GREMLINS
linksto NSXPrime wiki: NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Catego...e_Control_and_A.2FC_-_may_want_to_consolidate
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Repairing_Your_NSX#Sound_System_-_may_want_to_consolidate

links to discussions on typical stereo / HVAC issues: NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/159527-what-s-wrong-woth-my-stereo-please
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/161681-help!-climate-control

link to discussion on SRS issue: NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/160961-SRS-Failure

link to a popular HVAC repair solution (I don't mean to favor one person but I understand him to be one of the main contacts for this) NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/154386-NSX-climate-control-repair-NSXe-repair-com

Now go ride your NSX, just don't ride the clutch or the curb. :)

I'm not sure where you want to put it .. but once someone finds an NSX for sale, the first thing they should do is run the VIN through Ojas' VIN checker to see if it's a valid VIN. Ojas' checker isn't always 100% correct but it's way better than anything else we have. Then, assuming the VIN is good, do a Google search with the VIN. With any luck, NSXPrime may be in the results list in one of two ways. First, it might be in the NSX Registry part of the Wiki and there may be previous records about previous sales. Unfortunately, the Registry project was suspended due to the effort of keeping it up to date .. but fortunately, if the VIN was ever discussed in a thread or was in the For Sale section, you should get a hit.
...Ian

I'm not sure where you want to put it .. but once someone finds an NSX for sale, the first thing they should do is run the VIN through Ojas' VIN checker to see if it's a valid VIN. Ojas' checker isn't always 100% correct but it's way better than anything else we have. Then, assuming the VIN is good, do a Google search with the VIN. With any luck, NSXPrime may be in the results list in one of two ways. First, it might be in the NSX Registry part of the Wiki and there may be previous records about previous sales. Unfortunately, the Registry project was suspended due to the effort of keeping it up to date .. but fortunately, if the VIN was ever discussed in a thread or was in the For Sale section, you should get a hit.
...Ian

That's a great suggestion, thanks! I had thought about adding it but I initially (likely erroneously) thought it wasn't necessary to add this link, since I didn't use it much during my search as I was only looking at NSX's that were "known" or from Prime owners. This is a good reminder that clearly, shoppers have widely different preferences. Also I no longer think I'm providing a start-to-finish cookbook of typical steps to follow while searching for an NSX. Actually, Coconut started a good link here that I also have referenced below. If I could restart this thread, I wouldn't call it a cookbook and maybe I would call it a "list of favorite & helpful threads that I kept reading over and over while shopping." And honestly, some of these threads are still fun to keep up with now.

So please feel free to suggest recommended threads that perhaps you found really helpful during your search and/or which you might keep visiting over and over again after you bought yours. Thanks!

(edited to add link to Hagerty's valuator)

BEDTIME STORY LINKS FOR SHOPPERS

Based on my experience at least, these are the types of threads you're going to be looking for and referencing over and over as a new NSX shopper and subsequent new owner. So here are most of them right in front of you.
Why? Because anytime someone helped my shopping experience, I appreciated it to no end. Just hoping to return the favor. Also owning an NSX has been one of the most fulfilling "material" experiences ever and I'd like to help others seeking the same car.

NSXPRIME.com WIKI (originally was NSX FAQ):

link to very good forum discussion by member "Coconut" that covers many bases for where to start!
(since the thread that I've started here is more a reference list of helpful Prime discussions for the shopper & new owner rather than a "where to start" list)

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/176214-So-why-is-290hp-not-enough-nowadays

NSXPrime disucssions that I thought were very insightful and entertaining
link to the "settling for a color" thread
link to the "Frustrated in my NSX Search" thread

link to NSX zendom

NSXPRIME.com wiki covering all kinds of "Purchasing an NSX" info (covers many subjects; some content may be a little dated but few things have changed over the past decade, including NSX values)
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Purchasing_an_NSX

link to verify whether a VIN is true or not NEW
http://ojas.net/nsx/vin NEW

Some helpful VIN references & discussion NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Decoding_an_NSX_VIN NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/95289-Decoding-an-NSX-VIN NEW
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/8652-NSX-VIN-Decoder NEW

Penfed financing process
Financing older than 10 yr old cars
Discussion on financing a 20yr old, 100k mile car

HOW MUCH SHOULD I EXPECT TO SPEND ON AN NSX:
wiki link to NSX pricing/values (is dated but - NSX values have not declined much in the last decade, on average)

link to forum discussion by NSX owners where they actually talk about their buy prices
(REAL-WORLD PRICING & VALUES DISCUSSION)

link to Hagerty's valuator, which is based on actual recent sale prices and what I used quite a bit - was always spot-on IMHO NEW
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch NEW

HOW MUCH SHOULD I EXPECT TO SPEND ON REQUIRED MAINTENANCE OR OTHER SERVICE COSTS:
wiki link to likely maintenance costs

link to owner discussion on various recent maintenance/service costs/mods
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...Did-You-Spend-Immediately-on-Maintenance-Mods

link to the NSXPRime wiki on window issues & possible solutions
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Repairing_Your_NSX#Windows

tbd to come

NSX Achilles' heel #3 to understand while shopping: HVAC/RADIO/electrical GREMLINS
linksto NSXPrime wiki:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Catego...e_Control_and_A.2FC_-_may_want_to_consolidate
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Repairing_Your_NSX#Sound_System_-_may_want_to_consolidate

links to discussions on typical stereo / HVAC issues:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/159527-what-s-wrong-woth-my-stereo-please
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/161681-help!-climate-control

link to discussion on SRS issue:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/160961-SRS-Failure

link to a popular HVAC repair solution (I don't mean to favor one person but I understand him to be one of the main contacts for this)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/154386-NSX-climate-control-repair-NSXe-repair-com

Now go ride your NSX, just don't ride the clutch or the curb. :)

Last edited:
Great idea .. has this been assembled yet ?

Post 21 is the latest and greatest! Glad it's of use to to some. I used these links a lot during my hunt and still pull many up occasionally for reference or fun.

Got inspired by Coconut's shopper-helper thread during my hunt. Thanks C!

Back