• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Google Maps (Street view) - Too Much time

Hey,

For those with too much time; go and have a look at Google Maps (Street view).
Go to Parramatta Rd, Burwood, outside the Burwood Bus depot (just before Shaftesbury Rd). West-bound is Frog (Red '99), stuck in the weekday morning traffic (about 6-9 months ago). It's amazing how you can pan all around, from front to back. My 15,000,000 years of fame, or until google decide to update the photo's!! :biggrin:

I must be the only one who thinks this could be used for burglaries (being a victim of three!) freaky! dont feel to comfortable with this but it is cool.:redface::smile:

That is too cool! Did you remember seeing the Google vehicle... or do you really have WAY too much time?!

As far as burglaries go, wouldn't it still be easier to pick targets in person? Streetview is pretty slow and doesn't show much detail. I do think the top-down stuff is a bit of an invasion of privacy -- I mean you can see things that aren't visible from public areas -- but I also use it almost daily to help verify addresses for my work.

Anyone know how often they update it? I've been working hard putting in a garden for nearly 2 years but my house still looks like a building site on Streetview... maybe if I spend more on Google Adwords they'll stop by? :)

Last edited:
That is too cool! Did you remember seeing the Google vehicle... or do you really have WAY too much time?!

As far as burglaries go, wouldn't it still be easier to pick targets in person? Streetview is pretty slow and doesn't show much detail. I do think the top-down stuff is a bit of an invasion of privacy -- I mean you can see things that aren't visible from public areas -- but I also use it almost daily to help verify addresses for my work.

Anyone know how often they update it? I've been working hard putting in a garden for nearly 2 years but my house still looks like a building site on Streetview... maybe if I spend more on Google Adwords they'll stop by? :)

I was talking to my daughter about how Street view is made. She jogged my memory about when I'd seen the black Google car (PT Cruiser or Nissan Tiida or the like, I think) with Camera array mounted on the roof. Just thought I'd check & presto. Time poor, I am, except for my NSX indulgence.
BTW, I think the invasion of privacy thing is a little over-cooked; It's only what you can see from the street, and dated at that; the aerial view is possibly a little more nosey, but it'll just encourage you to get rid of all those rusty old car parts in the back yard! I too, use it every day for work; saves a lot of time to see if someone is legit.

AHHH!!! You beat me. How long did it take for your NSX to show up on street view? About 9 months ago I was driving behind this, the camera car for socal. Except it was a silver one.
immersive1%201.jpg

I followed it for about 10 blocks just to ensure I would be on google streetview in the NSX. but no... I've been checking atleast once a month and the street I was on still hasn't been added!

Congrats!

t'was just a fluke. Can't remember, but several buildings have changed since; there is a new Caltex/Woolworths Gas station; a car dealership has been levelled & across the road, what was Strathfield Car radio HQ is having a major makeover. Anyone else got any ideas how to date it more accurately? Or any other Google experiences?

nice!
I use to work on that stretch of road 3 to 4 years ago and use to see your car regularly!

Back