• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got accepted into College.

Given the highly competitive process of getting into any graduate school your undergrad will count for or against you. As between a grad of an Unranked college and someone with similar grades in a ranked school "size does matter".

My law school was ranked 25th and the acceptance rate was only 9 percent of applicants. When only 1 out of every 11 get accepted you will need the pedigree to distinguish yourself. I dont know any students in my class who attended any college ranked outside the top 75 in the country and everyone was top 5 percent on the lsats and pretty much top 10 percent in their college class. Medical school is even tougher to get into.

that may be true for your school, but you're misleading him, making it sound like only 1 of 11 who applied to your law school went to law school. Unless they are too cheap, or too stupid, and only apply to your school, i'm reasonably sure the "other 10" of your 11 applied, and a good chunk matriculated, to other schools. So it's more likely 40% or 50% got in somewhere.

Hell.. i applied to 52 med schools. BFD. It's a numbers game, and you have to play to win. I also applied to 25 anesthesiology programs. The only time i applied to 1 program, was when i sent in my app for University of Arizona, because i knew by state law they had to accept me.

You still haven't answered the question about what happened to your full scholarships to harvard and princeton.......

But I guess a public university charging $6000/yr tuition to Georgia residents and that has a graduation after 4yrs rate of a whopping 18% is a much better alternative than one of the Ivys........:rolleyes:

I know no harm done,
He never talks about his military experience with me or my mom. Just tells us he got out because they was gonna send him on a lot of missions in Africa alone.

Going to a state school would definitely be a good choice right now. Funding for state colleges are going up and are even better since the new lottery was introduced in GA which takes a load off on a lot of students. I figure if I do summer courses to get ahead as well I could MAYBE have all my loans all paid off by the age of 40 max!

last time I checked, a FULL SCHOLARSHIP is a FULL SCHOLARSHIP. No load on the students.

Go back to your hole, or school, or whatever.

And if you ever decide to off yourself, I have some great tips for you. Heck, I'll even give you class on it, free of charge.

that may be true for your school, but you're misleading him, making it sound like only 1 of 11 who applied to your law school went to law school......

Hell.. i applied to 52 med schools. BFD. It's a numbers game, and you have to play to win.

I used that example to illustrate the need to distinguish yourself as an applicant and have the best credentials possible to increase your chances of getting accepted. And, yes, many of those rejected got accepted into other law schools but when relegated to third and lower tiered law schools the chances of landing a good job upon graduation decreases dramatically.

It may be a numbers game to a certain extent but the odds increase with having a better school on your "resume". And you can't presume he will ace the mcats because presumably he didn't ace the sats (contrary to his statements in other posts) or else he would be talking about being accepted into a better school as his first choice.

It is a long process and you need to succeed at each level to have the best shot.

I used that example to illustrate the need to distinguish yourself as an applicant and have the best credentials possible to increase your chances of getting accepted. And, yes, many of those rejected got accepted into other law schools but when relegated to third and lower tiered law schools the chances of landing a good job upon graduation decreases dramatically.

It may be a numbers game to a certain extent but the odds increase with having a better school on your "resume". And you can't presume he will ace the mcats because presumably he didn't ace the sats (contrary to his statements in other posts) or else he would be talking about being accepted into a better school as his first choice.

It is a long process and you need to succeed at each level to have the best shot.

what may hold true for law school does not for medical school. There's not really "tiering" of medical schools. virtually 100% of med school grads get jobs. Granted, not everyone is getting into neurosurgery. But then, not everyone wants to be a neurosurgeon. I'd say there is much more of a "tier" system to the residency programs... and most of them just look at your board scores and letters, rather than med school, unless you went to the mexican or caribbean schools (that assumes you aren't an ahole during the interview of course)

Most med schools content and faculty are about the same. While graduating from harvard med may may it easier to get into whatever your chosen residency, it very rarely translates into how good of a doctor you are/are not. And while i'm assuming someone who goes to harvard medical is smarter than me, the true training of becoming a competent physician is really held by the residency program... the med school has about 0.3% to do with it.

And, of course.. you DO need to work hard to get INTO medical school... that might even be the hardest part of the whole enchilada.

and either way... my computer must not be working right, since i still can't download the pic of him holding his acceptance letter..

Last edited:
The only thing I have to add between you two arguing about Med School and Law School is....

lawyers practice law, doctors practice medicine but pilots don't practice aviation, we have to get right the first time. :biggrin: We screw up and everyone dies including yourself. :cool:

doctors and lawyers, cats and dogs ,peas and carrots ,chocolate and peanut butter, duck season,rabbit season........:biggrin:

The only thing I have to add between you two arguing about Med School and Law School is....

lawyers practice law, doctors practice medicine but pilots don't practice aviation, we have to get right the first time. :biggrin: We screw up and everyone dies including yourself. :cool:

you gotta let this doctor/lawyer jealousy because you did'nt listen to your mother thing go man.....:tongue:

Actually, I should have been an Orthodontist. Who would have known that the hot Stewardesses when I was a boy would actually still be there but are now 70 & 170. Gays and Grays.

Actually, I should have been an Orthodontist. Who would have known that the hot Stewardesses when I was a boy would actually still be there but are now 70 & 170. Gays and Grays.

Does the landing strip match I wonder? Que rim shot (not job). Hay-oh!

I feel like I added a lot to the discussion.

Can we go back to heckling the kid. This thread and the spring break rental one are kinda drying up. Its a long work day...

Edit - Wait. Wait. just discovered the NSX rental thread...

Last edited:
I dont want to be a cyber bully.

so this is my last post on this thread.

I just dont wanna see on the news

" today a teenager holding a 1/18 model NSX jumped from the top of a 15 story building and landed on a real NSX "

I cuz dont want another NSX off the road OK guys.I would end up rebuilding it

actually, "pre-med" is not a major since no degree is conferred in it.

I wish more people actually understood this. I heard a million times this response when in college when people were asked what there major was, that they were pre-med. I would say this was more typical of the liberal arts students English, Psychology etc (not picking on those fields but just the trend I noticed) as those in the hard science would say for example Mechanical Engineering with pre-med. Now that's impressive...

As Oyagi said, it sounds impressive to your friends...and even parents who want to brag about their kids in college, but anyone can be pre-med with the right additional classes...

I wish more people actually understood this. I heard a million times this response when in college when people were asked what there major was, that they were pre-med. I would say this was more typical of the liberal arts students English, Psychology etc (not picking on those fields but just the trend I noticed) as those in the hard science would say for example Mechanical Engineering with pre-med. Now that's impressive...

As Oyagi said, it sounds impressive to your friends...and even parents who want to brag about their kids in college, but anyone can be pre-med with the right additional classes...

+1. After his other thread inquiring about med school and to be more diverse and reading his selected Majors of choice (nothing wrong with them). He just made it that much harder on himself. Ask me how I know.

My son is Mech. Eng. (Binghamton Univ. grad in 08) I seem to remember one of his friends was in pre med and he told me the science classes my son takes are harder than his pre med . Did I misunderstand him ?

My son is Mech. Eng. (Binghamton Univ. grad in 08) I seem to remember one of his friends was in pre med and he told me the science classes my son takes are harder than his pre med . Did I misunderstand him ?

Depends on the school, curriculum, and preference. Difficult to compare a curriculum at one school with a different curriculum at an entirely different school

I studied mechanical engineering...I would need only a few other classes to meet my pre-med requirements based on the course I had already taken...I just don't like blood...just bleeding machines.

Anyway yes your sons classes are typically harder than the pre-med requirements. Two of my friends are doctors now, I studied with them...I use to tutor them in Calc and Chemistry...I could do their work...they couldn't do mine, Organic might of sucked, anyway I had no desire to cut animals up or people...deal breaker for me.

I should add that my friends are both good doctors and I like the passion about their jobs when they talk, or at least their medical knowledge. As I think Doc Jon said, the hard part is getting in.

Last edited:
there is a basic knowledge set one needs for med school which is satisfied by the pre med concentration, but the major could be anything.Imho the most important tool for med school is a strong memory.

there is a basic knowledge set one needs for med school which is satisfied by the pre med concentration, but the major could be anything.Imho the most important tool for med school is a strong memory.
The most important tool for medical school is being a beautiful woman with nice figure.
Steve

lol on the last two posts.....a fitting end to another fantasy thread ....

My son is at Georgia Southern and loves it there, he is on spring break now. If you need to ask someone up there for advice you can give him a call. PM me f you want to talk with him. he is not premed he is majoring in IT something called SAP (computer stuff).

I suppose you guys wouldn't believe me if I said I got into Clark Atlanta University either.

I suppose you guys wouldn't believe me if I said I got into Clark Atlanta University either.

I see you like egging the NSX primers on. Not sure why:cool:

As you can tell by the post, most of them do not respect you (reasons given) so I do not know why you keep sticking your neck out there trying to prove something.

As my late father said, less talk, more action. People will then see what you are doing and give you respect as necessary!

Back