• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

got into an car accident... again...

Last year shortly after Thanksgiving, I was involved in an accident. Someone pulled out of their driveway without looking for on-coming traffic.

Today, a car was waiting to make a left turn ahead. So there were a line of cars waiting behind this car. I was also waiting for a good 30-40 seconds, when a car plowed into me. The impact was so hard that my eye glasses flew off my face and my radio detachable faceplate popped off. I was literally in shock for about five minutes. The impact sent my car into the car in front of me, but because I had my foot on the brake, her car had minimal damage (dimples on her bumper from the license plate bolts). She was ok. She got out of her car, and I was so dazed that I asked her what happened? She told me that some girl hit me from the back. I pulled off to the side of the road and looked for my glasses. An off-duty cop came by and made sure everyone was ok. The town police came a few minutes later and got statements from everyone.

Still in shock, I stood outside my car with the lady who was in the car in front of me. The girl who hit us called her mother who came right away. She began arguing with the police officer - I think the officer wrote her a citation. I'm not sure what they argued about, but I heard the mother say something like, 'it can't be my daughter's fault' as if her daughter was all innocent, although she probably does ass to mouth.

Anyway, I have some soreness in the back of my neck. I told my neighbor what happened and he told me that I should see a doctor immediately to cover myself in case there are serious injuries.

The back of my car is in bad shape. I don't want them to total it out, although the likelihood seems high since it's a 1996 Civic with 317k miles. It's still in very good condition.. was in very good condition. The rear quarter panel is crumped, rear tail light smashed, and bumper is out of alignment (and scraped).

Should I see a doctor? I'm going to sleep on it and see if it hurts tomorrow morning.

Can I insist that they fix my car instead of writing it off?

Thanks,
-Brian.

Last edited:
Sorry about your accident. Your car is totaled, I'm afraid. You can probably buy it back from them and fix it, but that certainly won't be worth it. Time to look for a new one. But go to the doctor first.

My brother was in a accident about 4 years ago, got rear-ended. He didn't think much of it immediatelly after the accident, he felt ok. Just some stiffness in his neck. The cop that investigated the accident advised him to see his doctor. Good thing as his doctor sent him to have an MRI. The results were he had a hearniated disk. It took about 2 weeks for him to feel it. He still isn't the same 4 years later.

See a doctor. Accidents place very high stresses on the body. If there is nothing wrong, thats fine. But, if you have an injury, you will want to have your ducks in a row.

See a doctor IMMEDIATELY! GO TO THE ER IF YOU HAVE TO. I was in a major accident a number of years ago. After it happened I was walking around asking people how bad the lacerations were on my face. A nurse came along and spoke with me. I told her I was OK but I didn't have any feeling in my hand, had some facial lacerations, and that I knew all of my ribs were broken. Long story short, I felt OK but went to the hospital in an ambulance. Sure enough, all of my ribs were broken, not too bad on the facial lacerations, plus MY NECK WAS BROKEN. That evening I felt as if I was hit by a train.

Please get some medical attention. I was "fine" shortly after the accident. That evening I was in a world of hurt.

The last thing you need to be concerned at this point is your car.

Good luck.

although she probably does ass to mouth.

LOL, I'm glad you still have a sense of humor. That cracked me up.:biggrin:

although she probably does ass to mouth.

LOL, I'm glad you still have a sense of humor. That cracked me up.:biggrin:

+1. This cracked me up too, though I don't know if it was a joke:

The back of my car is in bad shape. I don't want them to total it out, although the likelihood seems high since it's a 1996 Civic with 317k miles.

I'm certain it's totaled. The blue book on it can't possibly justify a repair. Oh yeah, definitely see a Dr. You will be in a lot more pain tomorrow. I guarantee it.

+1. This cracked me up too, though I don't know if it was a joke:

I'm certain it's totaled. The blue book on it can't possibly justify a repair. Oh yeah, definitely see a Dr. You will be in a lot more pain tomorrow. I guarantee it.

Yeah, I was joking about the ass to mouth comment. She did seem a little ditzy so it wouldn't surprise me if she did.

I saw a doctor today and he referred me to a place to get x-rays done. They told me they don't do auto accidents, so it looks like I'll talk with the claims rep and see what they recommend. I'm still a little sore, but it's not affecting my everyday activities. Thanks all for your concern.

I hope the car isn't totaled. It was definitely a good car. Looks like I have a fight ahead of me.

Is this comment really necessary? I've been of the impression that Primers are a little above this type of posting.

I think Brian is just a bit bitter that his car is totaled due to no fault of his own. I personally laughed out loud as I know Brian, and I can't imagine him making the comment. :eek: It actually makes it even more funny. :biggrin:

Brian, I hope the x-rays turn out ok. It makes the most sense to get fully checked out as not much you can do months later. Looks like you will be car shopping soon. Make sure to fight with the insurance company to get as much as you can as they always low ball.

I had the same thing happen back in 2006. Definitely get yourself checked out by a doctor and do not dismiss a SINGLE problem. I tried to tough it out and I paid for it with a lot of sleepless nights. The very thing you think is a "coincidence" or "no big deal" could be the very symptom that points to an injury that would not otherwise be known.

Beware of numbness, tingling, poor posture, and general soreness. Obviously, sharp pain and limitation of movement are no-brainers to get yourself checked out thoroughly.

This girl's insurance will pay for it either way so don't worry about cost. Be sure that you and your doctor are totally satisfied as to your health before you sign off on anything.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I had one that was similar years ago in my 93 Rx-7. I had stopped in traffic and got hit by a F-250 towing a grater doing about 15 or so. He popped my car under the bumber of a van in front of me.

I felt pretty ok right afterwards but the next day I went to the hospital where they said my spine had been stretched. Over the next 3-4 months I had the worst pain I'd ever felt in my back. You could literally just touch my upper back and I would be in horrible pain and have to sit down for several minutes.

I would go see a doctor now.

Thanks guys.

Thankfully, the soreness didn't get much worse. Here are some pictures of the damage. Looks like they're going to total the car. I'm going to be really upset if they offer me $500.00 because of the high mileage. Does anyone know how they determine the actual cash value?

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

Aaron, are you planning on attending the holiday dinner?

It depends on the insurance carrier, but they usually try to get some kind of comps in your area. The good news is they usually don't ding you too badly for high mileage. (I'm not sure why that is - maybe harder to get comps.) You'll probably get decent money for it, maybe $1500-2000. Don't worry about it until there's something to worry about.

You should also get a rental from them if you haven't already.

It depends on the insurance carrier, but they usually try to get some kind of comps in your area. The good news is they usually don't ding you too badly for high mileage. (I'm not sure why that is - maybe harder to get comps.) You'll probably get decent money for it, maybe $1500-2000. Don't worry about it until there's something to worry about.

You should also get a rental from them if you haven't already.

Thanks.

Insurance decided to total it. Estimated that I would get about $1500. Definitely not what it was worth to me. I'm going to request a rental from them today since they won't make a settlement offer until the end of this week.

-Brian.

Back