• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

got me a new towing vehicle... YEAHHHH!

This is my new towing vehicle:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

it's a brand new 2007 RAM 3500 Quad CAB SWB from the local dealership at the unbelieveable price of $26,999.50 Out The Door (MSRP = +$41K). Before I bought it, I had the opportunity to test drive 3 vehicles back to back on a small loop (~15 minutes) around the dealership. The first truck was a 2500 5.9L CTD with the 4 spd auto and I got 15.3 mpg. The second one is the one I ended up getting is the 3500 w/ the 5.9 CTD and the G36 gearbox (4x2) which gave me 16.8 mpg. Then I decided to try a 2500 with the new 6.7L and the 6 spd auto and got only 11.7 mpg This last truck was a worktruck version (no power anything) but I thought it would have had the best mileage of the 3 trucks. I really wanted a manual anyway so the choice was really obvious. I could have chosen any of the 3 for that price.

So far I am averaging 23.4 mpg :eek: which is completely unbeleivable considering this truck weights 3 tons (6,600 lbs). Considering the 34 gallons tank and the 20 mile commute I do every day I will be filling up once a month... :smile:

It is a definite upgrade from the 1999 Tahoe I traded in for this. I bought the Tahoe used for $6,300 three years ago and traded it in for $4,000. I could have done better by selling it myself but oh well... :rolleyes:

Cant wait to break-it-in to load the NSX on the trailer and tow !!!!

Last edited:
Are you hand calculating the mpg or using the computer? They are known to be very optimistic.

Plenty to read here

23.4 is a bit optimistic:wink: BTW, why do you need 13000 lbs towing capacity for a NSX:biggrin: - J/K my tow vehicle is my friend's F250 TD with reflashed ECU.:eek: The best part is that it is my friend's:wink:

Are you hand calculating the mpg or using the computer? They are known to be very optimistic.

Plenty to read here

I'm calculating. The computer shows indeed more. But I also have to say that I'm mainly driving it now back and forth to work which is almost constant 45 mph drive with 2 red lights and 2 stops over 10 miles. On the highway I get more like 20 mpg. Still very respectable IMHO.

23.4 is a bit optimistic:wink: BTW, why do you need 13000 lbs towing capacity for a NSX:biggrin: - J/K my tow vehicle is my friend's F250 TD with reflashed ECU.:eek: The best part is that it is my friend's:wink:

"Need" ? It's more about "want" :biggrin: As a matter of fact I wanted a Diesel truck (I'm making my own Biodiesel) which could tow at least 7,500 lbs. My father in law has a 3500 manual and said he would routinely get 20+ mpg when not towing (I did not believe him at the time). Plus, there was a deal going on the 2007 RAMs at my local stealership for memorial day and took the plunge. Finally, the day I decide to upgrade to a fully-enclosed, 5th wheel type of trailer with living quarters, I'll be glad I have 23,000 lbs GVWC :rolleyes:

Just messing with you. TD's are so much fun. My friend's F250 has the "Crazy Larry/Bully Dog" ECU reflash which brings TQ up to ~750 IIRC. That thing peels out in 1st and somtimes in 2nd.:biggrin: :biggrin: Between my NSX, his miata, and our 2 car alum trailer the total weight is around ~8000lbs. The F250 TD does it easily and we usually avg. 14.5 MPG with the cars/trailer.:smile:

BTW, I can't see the pics. All I see is Red X's.

Back