• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got The Big Thumps Down

I certainly did consider doing "brake checks" while being tailgated. However, I've never done so simply because I don't trust the driver behind me. That means, I don't want him to ram into my A because of his lack of quick reaction.

I don't know about all this. I don't own a NSX but have made it my goal to do so within the next year. The "thumbs down" routine sounds like total ignorance to me or maybe it depends on where you live. I nor any person I know would show such disrespect to this car (or a M3, etc.) I can understand that you guys probably get the standard Mustand and F-body drivers wanting to race you constantly, but those who would show total disrespect simply don't realize that the car you are driving is ultimately a superior car in every way. When not driving, these types can be found feverishly searching for that one page in the auto mag that shows 0-60 times.

Please tell me that you get just as many thumbs up as thumbs down.

Dobie

Originally posted by Doberman8U:
I don't know about all this. I don't own a NSX but have made it my goal to do so within the next year. The "thumbs down" routine sounds like total ignorance to me or maybe it depends on where you live. I nor any person I know would show such disrespect to this car (or a M3, etc.) I can understand that you guys probably get the standard Mustand and F-body drivers wanting to race you constantly, but those who would show total disrespect simply don't realize that the car you are driving is ultimately a superior car in every way. When not driving, these types can be found feverishly searching for that one page in the auto mag that shows 0-60 times.

Please tell me that you get just as many thumbs up as thumbs down.

Dobie

I think people get way more thumbs up then down... it's just that they got too much thumbs up that one or few thumbs down throws them off...
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by NsxJoy:
I certainly did consider doing "brake checks" while being tailgated. However, I've never done so simply because I don't trust the driver behind me. That means, I don't want him to ram into my A because of his lack of quick reaction.

Do what I do. In those instances when you aren't sure of the reaction of the driver behind you, but they are irking you and ruining your drive...

Hit the spray. And no... I'm not talking about the bottle. Hit your windshield wipers and shower his windshield. ;P Guaranteed to let him know you're not happy.

Lmao!!

Never thought of that one, man, you're good.

However, this would then put me into a dilemma of whether if it's worth it to piss the guy (behind me) off and have water marks all over my windshield?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Darkcyd:
Do what I do. In those instances when you aren't sure of the reaction of the driver behind you, but they are irking you and ruining your drive...

Hit the spray. And no... I'm not talking about the bottle. Hit your windshield wipers and shower his windshield. ;P Guaranteed to let him know you're not happy.

LOL,
I try not to retaliate, but I've done that before.
Anyways, sometimes I get tailgated, but more often people will slowly merge into my lane, causing me to slow down and/or change lanes. Then, if we are at a traffic light next to each other, they will not pull up all the way next to me: they will stay about 6 feet behind.
As far as "thumbs down," last week, as my brother was approaching our NSX at a parking lot, he overheard some college kids comment that it was a "ripoff." They also criticized the design of the exterior! Everybody has their own preferences, I guess!
rolleyes.gif

-Thomas

------------------
'94 Brooklands Green Pearl/Black NSX
5-Speed

At a intersection with four lanes in each direction I'm stopped for the red and it turns green but two guys walk in front of me looking at the car and a big thumbs up. They continue across still staring at the car and I see a motorcycle coming fast in my left mirror. I thought this is going to be a disaster but the timing was a little off and the bike see them just in time. The pedestrians were smiling and continued like nothing happened.

Originally posted by Doberman8U:
I don't know about all this. I can understand that you guys probably get the standard Mustand and F-body drivers wanting to race you constantly
Dobie

You must be a profit. Last night was the first night that I went out with my wife in the NSX as I have only had it for a couple of weeks. Where going downtown for dinner on I-70 and as were talking a Roush Mustang pulls beside me in the center lane and he's given the car the look as he's a 1/2 a length in front of me. I could care less about trying to run with this fool on a interstate highway with traffic all over the place at 6 PM, but whats up with this. This jack still has the temp tags on his window and he drops it down a gear right beside me ! I'm not a drag racer, I use to race karts and some formula fords a while back, but what gives. Can I expect this more often than not....Does every idiot stick with a hp/car try us or what.

Signed, lets go to a road course.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Ya know, the idea of a seperate line off the windheild wiper pump is a novel idea. That way you could spray up and over the NSX while discharging directly behind you.

What an idea!!

Ya know, the idea of a seperate line off the windheild wiper pump is a novel idea. That way you could spray up and over the NSX while discharging directly behind you.

What an idea!![/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, that IS a blasted good idea! Hrm... wonder if anyone wants to take up the job of designing it. Maybe we can have 2 separate lines to the sides where the mirrors are to discharge at ppl giving us the thumbs down as well. ;P

While this is very seldom in Southern California.....I just hate those people. Hopefully when I get the NSX one day..i don't run into those ignorant people.

As for the spray nozzle....it has been done before. I knew friends that have done that before....they also angle the nozzle to the left and right to hit the car next to them...
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Tony Montoya:
Didn't someone once spray runway foam all over Chuck Yaeger's Acura?
Not sure if this is true, but I've driven this car (a 91 red/ivory 5-speed). A friend of mine purchased it in 1992 (?).

Originally posted by cojones:
Originally posted by Tony Montoya:
Didn't someone once spray runway foam all over Chuck Yaeger's Acura?
Not sure if this is true, but I've driven this car (a 91 red/ivory 5-speed). A friend of mine purchased it in 1992 (?).

My comment was in reference to a line from The Simpsons, "Good God man! Someone just sprayed runway foam all over Chuck Yaeger's Acura." Of course we diehards know which model Acura.

Well, the topic has changed a little but I wanted to comment about the thumbs down. I've had my '94 for about a year and a young guy I work with has his eyes on my '94 GSR so I'm probably going to be down to one car soon. People are asking if I'm going to stick with the NSX or get something more practical like the new G35 Coupe. As tempting as the G35 Coupe is, I tell everyone that the NSX just has that "little kid" factor.

Every kid I pass by in the NSX gives me some sort of positive response. It's not at all why I bought the car, but I have to admit that I really enjoy the fact that little kids recognize there is something special about the car. It happens all the time. I've never had anyone give me a thumbs down. All I ever hear is Sweeeet! Siiick! Kid stuff like that. Maybe I enjoy it so much because it is exactly the response I still give to nice cars.

Most people still don't know what it is though. I find that very strange. The car has been around for how long and people still don't know what it is. I live in Southern California too. I just tell them it's a Honda. That really freaks them out and usually causes another couple orbits around the car. I don't think I'll get that from the G35 Coupe.

------------------
Alan Peltier
Operations Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
[email protected]

'94 black/black NSX
HID - Autolamps
Wheels - HRE 448Rs - 18x8, 19x10
Tires - Pirelli PZero Rossos
Springs - Eibach ProKits
Shocks - Bilstein
Performance upgrades coming as soon as I can scrape up the cash! Donations much appreciated!!
http://geocities.com/nsxbyhre/Main.html

Check out our website at http://www.hrewheels.com

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
I should've bought a Ferrari as they get much more respect on the road because they are so much better cars and everyone knows it.
The Ferrari gets respect because its a REAL exotic. Many so-called purists scoffed at the NSX, claiming the car lacked the soul or character of its Italian and British counterparts. If you defined soul or character as idiosyncratic handling, spotty reliability or torso-wrenching ergonomics, then the purists had their point.

BTW, these are not my words -- they're from a recent Robb Report article on the 02 NSX

#############

The "oatmeal" crowd tends to respect large displacement, relatively inefficient output, a lumpy idle, and stump-puller torque.

The "sushi" crowd tends to favor overdone bodywork, oversized exhaust apertures, etc.

The "risotto" crowd tends to respect $$$ price tags (purchase price and ongoing maintenance/service).

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
I should've bought a Ferrari as they get much more respect on the road because they are so much better cars and everyone knows it.

No, the Ferraris get much more respect on the road because they are so much more expensive cars and everyone knows it. It has nothing to do with being better or not.

[/QUOTE]
The Ferrari gets respect because its a REAL exotic. Many so-called purists scoffed at the NSX, claiming the car lacked the soul or character of its Italian and British counterparts. If you defined soul or character as idiosyncratic handling, spotty reliability or torso-wrenching ergonomics, then the purists had their point.

BTW, these are not my words -- they're from a recent Robb Report article on the 02 NSX

#############

The "oatmeal" crowd tends to respect large displacement, relatively inefficient output, a lumpy idle, and stump-puller torque.

The "sushi" crowd tends to favor overdone bodywork, oversized exhaust apertures, etc.

The "risotto" crowd tends to respect $$$ price tags (purchase price and ongoing maintenance/service).[/B][/QUOTE]

I think Ken put it best in an earlier post when he said: "Soul" is often defined by those driving European cars based on their faults and design flaws, and "legend" based on all the stories owners accumulate of adventures experienced during mechanical breakdowns in out-of-the-way places. "

Classic quote.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by cojones:
it.

B][/QUOTE]

Well said, for the people that can afford to have a Ferrari, my hats off to you. I'd like one myself as they are as close to a purpose built race car in some models as you can get, but how many of us can afford one and/or make it a daily driver, and you gotta love those maintenance cost too. As for the purist, well if a purist means you have to have a Jackie Stewert hat and turn your nose up that anything that not made in Europe, well I guess I don't fit. These are the same people that wouldn't let the real Vette's in @ LeMans this year because they know they will wax the P-cars all over the place, and we can't have that now on French soil, These folks havn't been happy since Carol Shelby cleaned up on Enzo's boys in the 60's with the Shelby.

While driving to Modesto on Hwy 99, I noticed a low-rider mini truck coming up on my left rather quickly. He got up to where the front of his truck was equal to the back of my NSX. Then he just hung there, probably for about 1/2 mile. Then he slowly crept up to where our drives doors were equal. I turned my head to look at him and he gave me a big grin and nodded his head in approval. I smiled back and did the same. By the way, his truck was lower than the NSX. (roof was chopped)

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan Manual #0030

Originally posted by David Allen:
That's an easy one!

They thought you were driving a Corvette!

biggrin.gif

HAHAHAHAHA !!! HEHEHEHEHE !!! LOL !! That's a good one Dave!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
1999 Zanardi Edition NSX #50
2001 Silver/Red S2000

Back