• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Grasshopper" noise from engine/exhaust

Lately I've noticed a "grasshopper"-like sound coming from my engine or exhaust.

It's there both on idle and higher rpms.

I've recently had headers installed. Could it be some gasket leak here, or ??

Trond.

------------------
92 Honda NSX, Style Auto body kit (fully repainted incl. roof), Bilstein/Comptech suspension, RH AL 8x18/10x19'' rims with 225/40 & 275/30 Yokohama AVS Sport, RM Racing air inlet/exhaust/gearknob, Comptech cat. pipes, Cantrell CF engine cover, Taitec CF mirrors, AP Racing 330mm brake kit (f&r), SoS sway bars, Taitec hub, SoS CF brake air ducts, Momo steering wheel, DC Sports headers.

Perhaps your installer reused the engine gaskets and torqued them incompletly or incorrectly (outside in).

See if you can tell if the sound is closer to the engine, which side, or further downstream.

I had my Honda dealer order new gaskets for the install.
But, they have never performed this install before...

I will check again, but I think the noise is most noticeable on the lower rear right side (by the wheel).

They charged me A LOT of hours to do the job, and I would not be surprised if they did something incorrectly
frown.gif

Thanks for replying !

Trond.

If it's a "chirping" noise, it may likely be an exhaust leak. With the car running, look for exhaust smoke emiting from the block of the engine. I've used a strip of paper before to note air leaks, and it has worked out great. If it's a leak from the headers, the sound will likely differ through the different engine speeds.

The headers will leak even if just one bolt is not torqued down properly.

-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

"Chirping" seems more to describe metal-to-metal contact to me. I'd bet that one/some of the bolts connecting the headers to the cats may be loose, so we might be hearing some rubbing on the flanges, perhaps in addition to the exhaust leak sound. Either way, you gotta get someone under your car to see what's going on...

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
If it's a "chirping" noise, it may likely be an exhaust leak. With the car running, look for exhaust smoke emiting from the block of the engine. I've used a strip of paper before to note air leaks, and it has worked out great. If it's a leak from the headers, the sound will likely differ through the different engine speeds.

The headers will leak even if just one bolt is not torqued down properly.

-- Chris

I get the 'chirp' on launch in first and sometimes when shifting to second gear.it is driving me nuts and I cannot diagnois it on my own so far.neither can my tech for that matter and he is good.I know it is not the same issue as descibed above and all my exhaust is tight.stumped! I fear I may need to go into the tranny or open up the clutch again and am dreading it.any insight on this chirp type problem?I DID post on it before and received several replys stating they had experienced the same problem but never had it resolved or sold the car with it still chirping.I am thinking it may be my thrust washer is out of whack or not shimmed correctly.if you have this problem or had and resolved it by all means please share.thanks in advance!
David

Back