• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GT-One Front End Conversion

Is the 02+ conversion with the GT-Rom headlights any different than the conversion with just OEM parts. Do you need any more parts than just the front bumper, the lights and the hood.

If you happen to have an after-market FRP/CF Type-R hood on your 1991-1996 car, could it be changed to the 2002 model?

Do the parts of the old bumper just retrofit onto the new GT-Rom bumper or you do need just the same conversion parts as with the OEM bumpers.

You will need to replace your hood and front bumper with any 2002+ conversion, whether you use the OEM headlights or the GTrom headlights - these GTrom headlights are the same size as OEM lights.

Some parts can be transferred between the two bumpers, but other parts cannot; at a minimum you will need the OEM 2002+ bumper support, bumper beam brackets, and 2 headlight brackets per side, as well as a custom headlight bracket for the third support on the headlights. After this you need to wire the headlights into your current harnesses, and have some cash set aside for paint and minor body work/fitting.

Hoods from cars equipped with flip up headlights will not work with 2002+ headlights; they can be cut and molded to fit around the new headlights, but it is a difficult procedure to 'get right', and involves a great deal of body work, a steady hand, and a bit of luck to produce an acceptable result.

You will need to replace your hood and front bumper with any 2002+ conversion, whether you use the OEM headlights or the GTrom headlights - these GTrom headlights are the same size as OEM lights.

Some parts can be transferred between the two bumpers, but other parts cannot; at a minimum you will need the OEM 2002+ bumper support, bumper beam brackets, and 2 headlight brackets per side, as well as a custom headlight bracket for the third support on the headlights. After this you need to wire the headlights into your current harnesses, and have some cash set aside for paint and minor body work/fitting.

Hoods from cars equipped with flip up headlights will not work with 2002+ headlights; they can be cut and molded to fit around the new headlights, but it is a difficult procedure to 'get right', and involves a great deal of body work, a steady hand, and a bit of luck to produce an acceptable result.

Thank you very much for your explanation. This sure is something I have to thinkg about a great deal more I guess.
I am also wondering how much weight is saved with the 2002 conversion.

Man, those headlight look hot! but dame its SUX at night.....
my old setup:
11473new.jpg

I am also wondering how much weight is saved with the 2002 conversion.

91-01 pop-up headlights assemblies = 45lbs ~> 5gallon sparklets water jug.
02+ headlights = 10lbs

91-01 bumpers have extra parts/extra weight:
turn signals aluminum support + turn signals. 10lbs right there.

going with Downforce FRP 02+ bumpers you save half the weight over OEM.

you save about a pound or 2 or 3 with a Downforce NSX-R CF/FRP hood.

But this is'nt your typical 02 conversion is it? Is'nt the GT-one kit just hood/bumper/headlights? What else is required for this kit?:confused:

Out of curiosity, why did you put the front end on before painting it? Is better to put it on before paint?

I was not aware of any local installations that used the gtrom hood, gtrom bumper, etc. - we installed the parts to get an idea as to the fit, and, despite some minor issues, the parts fit quite well. There was also a slight concern about how the bumper would fit around the front mounted heat exchanger, but this ended up not being an issue. The parts will be painted off of the car, to allow for coating the reverse, and to avoid overspray, etc.

The car goes in for paint the weekend before Halloween, and is scheduled to be picked up on Oct. 31st; color will stay formula red with a black roof.

But this is'nt your typical 02 conversion is it? Is'nt the GT-one kit just hood/bumper/headlights? What else is required for this kit?:confused:

You also need a new bumper support, for '02+ headlights, new bumper support brackets, wiring harness, 4 headlight brackets, and 2 custom headlight brackets from gtrom. Also, 2 headlight seals, the front hood gasket, and some assorted bolts/fasteners/washers.

Gtrom offers this conversion as a package, with all required OEM parts included.

Man, those headlight look hot! but dame its SUX at night.....
my old setup:

a dame that sux at night???:eek: my kinda girl!!!:biggrin: :tongue:

but seriously, what do you mean??? the lighting was shitty??? do tell....

much better, john....wasn't much of a fan of your last headlight set up:redface:

can't wait to see end result.:cool:

The car was painted, but the match on the front bumper was off, so it's going to be resprayed. The lights are also undergoing some modification, so unfortunately there won't be much in the way of updates for perhaps 3 weeks.

This is what the car looks like now:

DSC04075mini.JPG

(but stashed away, hidden in the garage)

John, so far so good. The car is simply gorgeous!
:cool:

hey when u change to this bumper, did u keep the bumper beam and the radiator duct?

also what headlight mounting kit did u use?

hey when u change to this bumper, did u keep the bumper beam and the radiator duct?

also what headlight mounting kit did u use?

The radiator duct was removed to allow for my turbocharger's heat exchanger; the steel bumper is being replaced with an aluminum beam.

All parts, with the exception of OEM Honda parts, are GTrom/GTone; two of the brackets per light are OEM, the rest are custom from GTrom.

i want to get a light weigh beam too, do u know the weight for the OEM one and the one that u have now?
and where to get them?

The radiator duct was removed to allow for my turbocharger's heat exchanger; the steel bumper is being replaced with an aluminum beam.

All parts, with the exception of OEM Honda parts, are GTrom/GTone; two of the brackets per light are OEM, the rest are custom from GTrom.

How did they manage to keep the dust away from the paint when it's drying?

I think they mixed a hardener with the paint, so it was only 'wet' for a short span of time. Also, they had infared lamps setup to dry the paint... they were color sanding it perhaps 10 minutes after spraying, so there was, I assume, little concern over dust, etc. - also, there was very minimal wind today.

dude they painted your street !!!

This is dust from the color sanding, it hosed right off; when they were spraying, they had rubber mats under the car.

That's what I was thinking. All the contaminates floating in the atmosphere. Why not do it indoor? But the result looks outstanding :cool: Hats off to you man!

The last time it was painted was last Friday; I picked it up on Saturday, but during the drive home a large number of chips formed. The shop made the decision to repair the paint here, with their mobile truck, rather than risk similar damage during my drive home.

The paint does look pretty good; I was told to not use a car cover for 2 days, and I intend to have it clear bra'd in 3 weeks.

Back