• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GT-R?? What is Wrong With Me??

You may be able to put winter tires on it for Denver and drive it in the winter, but the paint will look like crap in 2 years. The paint is very poor on a GT-R. Even if you "Garage Queen" the car. It will not look as good as your NSX 20 years from now. I don't know what the real issue is with the paint, but the GT-R paint has been labeled "soft". I know of two local GT-Rs here that have the entire car with 3M protection on it. "The Entire Car"!

Cost: Your can buy 2 high end, low mileage NSXs for the price of 1 GT-R.

The GT-R is a great car, but with limitations.

Paul, I don't say this lightly with you but I think you need a supercharger on your NSX. It may quench your GTR thirst a bit.

I don't think its a power issue. Honcho just wants something new and modern. And maybe something that has expanded roles in his new location and familial changes.

Many of us make fun of the GT-R because it is so different from the NSX. But it has history, pedigree, and is competitive at the highest levels of car performance. I really think he would be happy with one. Would he love it like his NSX? Well, its good to experience other things... :biggrin:

I don't think its a power issue. Honcho just wants something new and modern. And maybe something that has expanded roles in his new location and familial changes.

Many of us make fun of the GT-R because it is so different from the NSX. But it has history, pedigree, and is competitive at the highest levels of car performance. I really think he would be happy with one. Would he love it like his NSX? Well, its good to experience other things... :biggrin:

Agreed. Very well said!!

For a "new and modern" NSX - I'd vote for the R8. Doesn't solve the backseat problem though. Might be worth taking a test drive.

exactly you non parents don't understand the day to day issues of sharing the fun.......that said on paper the lotus evora is kinda a 4 seat nsx.otoh I wish Lambo would do a modern version of the espada with awd.

Paul, I don't say this lightly with you but I think you need a supercharger on your NSX. It may quench your GTR thirst a bit.

Honestly Regan it isn't about the power. I LOVE the performance of my NSX and my recent refresh has it performing exactly they way I want it, especially at the track. It is more about the baby and wanting something that feels modern. I wish Honda offered a NSX interior refresh plan, where you could get your interior updated with stuff from the latest product line (gauges, A/V, HVAC, dash/panel covers, etc.) That would help immensely. But, the car still only has 2 seats. :(

The GT-R is also a legendary Japanese supercar, but it has 4 functional seats, a modern interior and AWD. I have to say it is appealing.

Warren I hear you about the paint, but here in Denver is mostly dry and sunny during the winter. We only have about 10 bad snow days each year. I daily drive my NSX in the winter and just take the RDX when it snows. Having the GT-R (on blizzaks) would mean I would never have to make my wife/baby drop me off in the RDX during a snowstorm. It also means I could take the baby in my car if my wife was not available. When I was 20, this meant nothing to me. Now, at 34, it seems to be a lot more relevant.

exactly you non parents don't understand the day to day issues of sharing the fun
Sure I do. That's precisely why I stated my post as I did.

While I was out for a run, the 2+2 Evora also came to mind. I know some people who have one and have been very happy with it. They are "reasonably" priced at the moment too.

Why not get a daily driver that would be a better family car than the NSX or the GT-R?

You can put a car seat in the back of a GT-R, but you would not want to have to put a child back there on a regular basis. Take a 25lbs turkey and try putting it in the back of a coupe.
Not a lot of fun.

I would suggest getting a new CR-V or Subura Forester to use as a daily driver and family car and keep the NSX.

The GT-R is a great car but not a great family car.

Honestly Regan it isn't about the power. I LOVE the performance of my NSX and my recent refresh has it performing exactly they way I want it, especially at the track. It is more about the baby and wanting something that feels modern. I wish Honda offered a NSX interior refresh plan, where you could get your interior updated with stuff from the latest product line (gauges, A/V, HVAC, dash/panel covers, etc.) That would help immensely. But, the car still only has 2 seats. :(

The GT-R is also a legendary Japanese supercar, but it has 4 functional seats, a modern interior and AWD. I have to say it is appealing.

Warren I hear you about the paint, but here in Denver is mostly dry and sunny during the winter. We only have about 10 bad snow days each year. I daily drive my NSX in the winter and just take the RDX when it snows. Having the GT-R (on blizzaks) would mean I would never have to make my wife/baby drop me off in the RDX during a snowstorm. It also means I could take the baby in my car if my wife was not available. When I was 20, this meant nothing to me. Now, at 34, it seems to be a lot more relevant.
Living in SoCal with no kids, I tend to get shortsighted about weather and family issues. If the GT-R is in the cards financially you should certainly give it a try. Especially if you can only have the RDX and one other car.

However, if you can add another car to the stable, here's another option I'd explore. Let's say you sell your NSX for perhaps $35k give or take. That will still leave you an incremental $30-45k or so before you can get into an GT-R (I haven't checked GT-R prices lately). I say spend that $30-45k on a STi wagon or another similar AWD car and keep the NSX. Granted, if you're dealing with other issues that will prevent you from owning 3 cars then this option is moot. If you're feeling an old 34 like me, speed isn't everything anymore. I can also understand that people get bored of the NSX. If that's the case get rid of it.

Tino is the only other person I know who has the luxury of currently owning both a supercharged NSX and a GT-R so I would defer to his opinions. I'm basing my opinion on personal experiences and given my recently acquired Subaru BRZ (Yes, it's certainly no GTR) I welcome the days when I can jump into my NSX. The NSX is special in so many ways... still.

I think the new NSX will drive used GTR prices down a little. It's going to affect demand for the GTR period new or used, as it presents another option. Even so, probably not more than a few thousand dollars, but it will have an effect.

Let me just say having kids puts a new perspective on everything you do, being a father of two now, I can tell you I certainly don't see cars the same way.

Been itching to go for a GTR but for about the same money, I can almost get a Panamera GTS which IMO is a far superior car for about 90% of the speed factor.

There was a bay area GTR meet that my buddy told me about 50% of the owners are younger dads with car seats in the back. It's a short term fix because once the kids get to about 5+ years old you will be trading it in for a bigger car anyways :)

Those without kids will never understand but as a future parent you will see the light soon enough!

P.S. In regards to warrenw statement, both the Nissan and Lexus have the same problems with thin/cheap paint. My IS-F developed chips from very very light weekend only drives around town. I put roughly 8k on the car in 2.5 years and it had chips on the roof, door handles, fender, etc. My 6 year old M3 at the time had 50k miles and rarely had any chips and I did at least 5 trips to Bimmerfest over the course of those years. The NSX seems to be pretty good in the paint thickness area so far.

Last edited:
Those without kids will never understand
Again, not to repeat myself - but those of us without kids can understand perfectly well.

Maybe YOU couldn't understand until you had kids, but making generalized statements is just a silly thing to do and quite frankly kinda annoys those of us without kids.

Incidentally, for the $$$ I would certainly consider the panamera or similar over a GTR as a more family oriented sports car.

^I had plenty of friends with kids prior and I understood the obligations but when you are put in this position yourself it just makes things clearer that's all. Just like how we all wish to be celebs as kids but none of us really know what's it like.

For example my co-worker traded his 997 in for a sport SUV since he told me he had no time to go home to switch cars prior to picking up his kids and teammates after school each day. For me, now it's daycare after work :)

Everyone understands in his own way so to each his own there.

my friend got a Cayenne Turbo which is an awesome compromise. had a customer that crammed his wife and two kids into an EVO. Most of my friends with kids go the AMG route, though.

If you like GT-R or any other then just buy it irrespective of kids. Buying something you don't really like is a compromise and if that makes you feel good then choice is obvious.

I would buy GT-R as I like it. Putting kid in fast car does not strike me like a great option...personal take.

honcho, have you considered 911 as well? i know fatherhood shouldn't be too far away for myself so definitely can see the practical benefits of having a rear seat; and thats regardless of the fact that ill be keeping both current cars even when the 3rd arrives; whatever it ends up being.

my 997/m3 friends with young kids LOVE the fact that they can still go out as a family in the sports car with baby seats in the back.

P.S. In regards to warrenw statement, both the Nissan and Lexus have the same problems with thin/cheap paint. My IS-F developed chips from very very light weekend only drives around town. I put roughly 8k on the car in 2.5 years and it had chips on the roof, door handles, fender, etc. My 6 year old M3 at the time had 50k miles and rarely had any chips and I did at least 5 trips to Bimmerfest over the course of those years. The NSX seems to be pretty good in the paint thickness area so far.

i'd have to agree, both my lexus chip like crazy (especially the front bumper of the suv) compared to honda/acura products ive owned in the past; with that said in my nsx search however i have also come across low milage 'mint' 2002+ nsx's with HORRIBLE front bumper chipping despite oem paint.

Last edited:
Back