• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GTR... Can't do it

If someone says they don't like something and you feel the need to respond, instead of throwing insults why not respond by outlining what you like about the car that made you want to spend your hard earned money to buy it. At the end you buy a car cause you like it not because other people think it's cool. I get people asking me from time to time why I didn't get the M3, STi and etc for what I paid (mid 50s almost 2 years ago taxes in) for the NSX. I just say I like the styling, rarity and can overall driving feel of the NSX not to mention the years I spent when younger yearning for it. It's one of the vehicles on my "bucket" list for ownership. Most people respect and understand that. The GTR is a solid car but not everyone wants the go without the show... And that goes vice versa as well... Some people find the GTR's lines appealing.. It's a matter of Personal Preference. My two cents as I've been noticing a lot of what I noticed on my Z forum and Prelude forum in the past... I was hoping this didn't happen on Prime.

I just bumped into the "should I buy a GTR this time" and walked away with a Porsche... again.

I honestly really think its come down to two things that bug me... the lack of a 6spd and the lack of a sunroof. :wink:

I was so close this time to getting a '13, but I just couldn't do it. Something in my soul is preventing me. I really think I'd just get bored with the car... it's too damn good at what it does.

I'll probably have a another NSX before I have a GTR.

I just bumped into the "should I buy a GTR this time" and walked away with a Porsche... again.

I honestly really think its come down to two things that bug me... the lack of a 6spd and the lack of a sunroof. :wink:

I was so close this time to getting a '13, but I just couldn't do it. Something in my soul is preventing me. I really think I'd just get bored with the car... it's too damn good at what it does.

I'll probably have a another NSX before I have a GTR.

I have your old NSX in the shop right now!

Neat thread.

Speaking as a dyed in the wool Skyline GTR guy (I've owned both the R32 and the R33, now awaiting the R34 to become legal in Canada in 2014), I also can't seem to pull the trigger on the R35. Its looks is subjective, and as a GTR guy I "get it". I'm also awed by its performance, and have driven the 2009 and 2012 (both times when I was at the dealership test driving it and serious about purchase). Heck I even had a deposit on the very first one to enter Canada, and gave up my spot when I got cold feet after watching the live Tokyo Auto Show debut one early morning on the web.

Having said all that I too just can't seem to do it. It makes perfect logical sense (to me) to own one: I have the space, I have the means. I just don't have the desire. I love the comments here about how it's NOT just about absolute speed and performance. The R35 has it in spades, but it just doesn't stir my soul like these 20-something aged outdated NSXs. Being an NSX forum you'd expect to hear stuff like that, but Prime is unique in that it has a lot of ex-owners like myself who are active participants here, long after their NSX ownership has ended. Perhaps that says the most about the inherent goodness of these cars.

Last edited:
Good read so far.

Before I bought my NSX I knew I'd spend ~$75-80k on it when it was finished. For that kinda money I could have gotten a new C63 Coupe or used GTR, both of which I seriously considered. Both those cars annihilate the NSX performance wise and are special in their own way, yet I still chose the NSX.

Long story short, the NSX will still make me happy in 10 years. Just looking at in the garage makes me happy :redface:.

Last edited:
Man, some GT-R owners are pretty insecure. :rolleyes: Performancewise, there's no comparison so why do they feel the need to get all defensive?

Like many on here, I would have considered purchasing a GT-R if it looked more exotic, had better seating position/visibility, and was a two-seater. Different strokes for different folks. If getting the biggest performance bang for the buck was the only concern for every car enthusiast, no one would even own an NSX today.

The NSX has plenty of poor characteristics as well.

Glad someone finally realize this fact.

Just curious: do you own an NSX? I don't think the NSX is perfect. Far from it. But some of your posts are just weird.

I dunno why you feel the need to do it, but I see you post on and on (and on and on and on) about how the later model NSXs aren't worth it. Or how it's overpriced, and how you would never pay that much for one.

I mean, good for you. It was fine when you said it the first time, and the second. The third was just starting to get weird.

But this is the 5th or 6th post I've seen from you, in different threads.

Sometimes it's just not tactful, especially when it's in regards to someone else's vehicle. If someone posts that they just bought a 2004/5, there is no need to post that it isn't worth it.

Are you looking for validation or something?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The NSX has plenty of poor characteristics as well.QUOTE]

Glad someone finally realize this fact.

Headroom is not the greatest. The stereo kinda sucks. It's a bit on the anemic side, NA. Slightly wiggly if a targa. Interior a hair dated looking now.

That's all I can think of now. If I were to list the pluses, it's going to be a LONG LIST. First and foremost being, I just LOVE IT.

Actually as an NSX owner I can tell you this car is far from perfect - my biggest gripe is lack of power and exhaust note. I would love to my my IS-F V8 motor sound in this car!

here's my negatives:

- Not wide enough, car looks so sleek and low it puts most exotics to shame but put it side by side and the narrow body makes it look weak.

- The stock motor is too slow by today's standards when Altima's have more hp but amazingly the car has pretty good "Scoot" due to it's lightweight design. I'm jealous of you guys with superchargers....!

- Interior is a bit dated but nothing some custom work can't fix

Well I think I am going to chime in and do an updated review after 4 months of ownership. My clutch went out on the NSX a little more than a month ago. It's been sitting in the garage because I'm debating whether I should go the
SOS Supercharged/Intercooled route, or the SOS twin turbo. So I have been driving the GTR EVERYDAY. Its very livable, just like an accord coupe. Gas and go. I have no problems yet (knock on wood). The car feels like a normal car under normal driving. Nothing special about the seating position, driver's view, etc.. I swear I'm driving an Accord Coupe(but with much tighter steering feel).
But mash the pedal in the GTR, the chassis tightens up and your in triple speeds.

The NSX, even though you're just cruising at slow speeds, you FEEL your in something special.

I have NEVER tracked the car before (including my NSX), NO DRAG RACING EXPERIENCE, so I decided to give it a try. As a reminder my GTR is a completely bone stock 2013 Deep Blue Pearl.
I went to New Hampshire Speedway in Epping, NH. First run, 1/4 tank of gas, RCR(Race Comfort Race Launch mode), borrowed friends helmet:
11.3 @127mph 1.7 60ft. Was told I couldn't run anymore without cage because they said I would have run faster but I got on the brakes before the marker!
If I can achieve this without any drag experience, imagine what my GTR can do with the seasoned guys on here behind the wheels.

When driving the GTR you feel like you OWN the road. It is just beastly. You feel like you control the power instantly where the NSX you are waiting for the power to come on. I feel like the NSX is a Camry when I jump back into it. No torque. The plus for the GTR is its mash and go, the NSX point and go. The GTR is definitely a car like the NSX as for personal appeal AFTER you own one. I was going to trade in the NSX for the GTR but in the end I couldn't do it so I forked up the cash instead. I would have regretted the decision if I let it go. The GTR is not perfect, but I would never get rid of it also.

I think before anyone discredits the GTR, they should live with it for a day, if possible :biggrin:. Test driving a GTR will not give you a true experience. The first week I had the GTR I had buyers remorse. After a month, I LOVED IT. Its the same as the NSX, unless you experienced it, its hard to understand. (Don't knock it till you tried it).

The GTR is NOT a Japanese Mustang or Camaro. I've driven co-worker's 2011 Mustang Shelby GT500, 2010 Camaro SS, and 2011 Challenger SRT and they all handle less favorably. You can feel the GTR chassis is put together very tightly. The domestics feel "loose". And even though they were the top trim they still felt "cheap".

The GTR is an NSX with high seats, motor placed in the front, minus the racing position, and covered in a Rosie O'Donell suit.

As for the NSX, I think I'm leaning more towards the SOS Twin Turbo (non built motor). Revert back to stock if need be. Hopefully I can run +/-11.7 :biggrin: . The GTR gave me torque addiction. I think an NSX that can run these times are in the sweet spot for street performance.

As for the GTR, I plan on Turbo outlets, Mid pipe, Catback, Intake, and COBB tune. Capable of 10.5 and calling it a day. Its actually a car when I jumped in, I said I don't need any more power, but it's a little quiet in stock form :wink:.

Hopefully this helps any of the guys who are on the fence.

No one questions the GTR's performance. If they do they are just in denial.

The GTR is an NSX with high seats, motor placed in the front, minus the racing position, and covered in a Rosie O'Donell suit.

Its the look that I believe most people have a problem with. I love the R32, 33, and 34. Great looking cars without necessarily having the prototypical sports car look. And each revision looked better than the last. But the R35 is just too much of a departure for me. If it was a little more evolutionary of the R34, I would be happier with the look.

Last edited:
I think before anyone discredits the GTR, they should live with it for a day, if possible :biggrin:. Test driving a GTR will not give you a true experience. The first week I had the GTR I had buyers remorse. After a month, I LOVED IT. .

Thats very interesting because the test drive didn't do it for me. Mind you I have a CTSC. So the huge power gap wasn't there, but the GTR felt TOO normal. Boring I might say.. it was fast but I felt so uninvolved.

You have to give me a ride in the GTR. We live in the same town!

No one questions the GTR's performance. If they do they are just in denial.

Its the look that I believe most people have a problem with. I love the R32, 33, and 34. Great looking cars without necessarily having the prototypical sports car look. And each revision looked better than the last. But the R35 is just too much of a departure for me. If it was a little more evolutionary of the R34, I would be happier with the look.

I agree the R34 was a very good looking car. The R35 isn't.

I like the unique look of the GTR. It can't be confused for anything else. Or a lesser model unlike a corvette or mustang.

Took this while cleaning the garage.

garagecleaning07.jpg

Last edited:
I agree... One of the thing about the GTR is that there is no doubt its a GTR....unlike a 911 Where u wonder if the car is a base 911 or a GT2RS!

I think the GT-R looks tuff. I like it. I don't think it looks exotic though.

I think the GTR is more a Japanese muscle car then a super car. Although it does have super car abilities lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I had my buddies GTR (2013) model for a weekend while we helped him install the Valentine1 and some stereo upgrades.

So after a full weekend with the car, I got a bit of real world feel and amazingly this Nissan does not feel like a Nissan. Inside it's quite luxurious for sports car standards and the ergonomics was very well laid out. It didn't take me long to figure out how to operate the radio, climate control and on-board computer.

Just driving the car gets you stares no matter how slow or fast you are going. It's a beast that says don't mess with me and gets respect from even the usual ricers who don't dare challenge the car in a street race which is kind of nice.

Gas mileage isn't too great but for packing 540+ hp this car sure does sound sedate. On the road the car feels BIG and rides much higher than the NSX or other exotics.

From the back end, it just has the presence of a muscle car and very unique. I think in pictures like what PUREVIL posted, from the front end, it "could" be mistaken for a G37 :)

No matter what the GT-R can't be a supercar bc the engine isn't mounted in the right place. It's a fast, capable GT car or front engined sports car which cannot be considered an "exotic" due to its fundamental design philosophy, IMO. It has the rarity going... Sort of. Plus just look at the cars it evolved from, it really is more of a high tech muscle car / hotrodding philosophy with the addition of attention paid to how it turns. Very capable indeed but front engine cars just don't float my boat and a lot of other primers are the same way. It is the essential characteristic of the NSX and probably why most of us own one. :). There have been other mid engine cars which are not exotic of course (boxster/mr2/lotus), but without F1 pedigree, rarity, and quality they don't really have the whole package. The NSX is still one of the very few that have it all.

lol the gtr is so polarizing because it is a 2+2 sport coupe...but with super car performance.....don't hate nissan for that.The real comparison cars should be the Porsche turbos,ferrari front engine cars,masseratis,M 6,ect ect......why you guys are talking nsx and gtr in the same sentance is quizical.........If Dodge makes a new viper with back seats then we will have another option.........

I'm seriously eyeing this one: 2013 white GTR with a few thousand miles:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index...-gt-r-premium-white-with-black-interior-935k/

Cars are a passion so I love them all really - every car has flaws and good points - we can sit here till we die talking about them which is great but I prefer to sample every car possible. I still want an R8 spyder V10 in my future but with kids right now the GTR 2+2 is looking mighty tempting. I think Nissan really hit the nail on the head with this car as most younger daddy's like myself need a car like this. The NSX is a great car but really useless to me at this point in my life. I have no problem keeping it but it's not a great fit for a family car.

I'm seriously eyeing this one: 2013 white GTR with a few thousand miles:Quote]

Go for it. I had a chance to drive the 13 and compare it to the 09 and 12 back to back at Laguna Seca and the 13 felt really better in drivability and performance.
One thing: this guy is asking $93.5K but i have read on Nagtroc, about new cars going for a small discount below MSRP in the midwest and the southeast. Perhaps you can still pickup a new 13 for just a couple of thousands more.
And by the way, keep the NSX , it is always good to have a refined dinosaur in the garage. I am keeping mine:smile::smile:

Last edited:
You know the gtr is only a 2+2 on paper right? Just like the 911? The rear seats are completely useless, except maybe for small and medium dogs lol. I know password jdm makes a carbon fiber rear seat delete if it really bothers you guys.

If the new NSX had the v10 they were developing a few years ago and kept it as light and compact as possible I would own one of those too. But this hybrid bs isn't really doing anything for me. I'm sure it's the proper way to go but I'm a car guy and i want proper sports cars. I'll daily drive a hybrid all day long, but on the nights I wanna rip. I want gas gas and more gas!!!!

Back