• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Had dinner with Lud tonight.

Looks like i'm right - my previous point #2. Nobody likes to pay.

I also think a pay-per-post is counterproductive for the reasons you guys have already listed. It would discourage help from guys like NSXTASY -- I'd hate to see his monthly bill. :eek:

...and the off-topic forum would most certainly die. :(

maybe a poll would be one way of roughly estimating who would be willing to pay.

man, i miss Miami...

MiamieNeSeX said:
. . .we also discussed many other things including... how some of the women in the restaurant managed to put on their pants without having them sewn on. . .

Armando

hmmm, did you guys draw a conclusion...? :D

*sigh* i miss Miami :(

MiamieNeSeX said:
Although the conversation regarding a pay site did come up, it was just a discussion over dinner and drinks, we also discussed many other things
I heard you guys were busy starring at headlights all night. :D

Jimbo said:

1. A "tax" on posting doesn't make sense. It would simply discourage participation. It reminds me of the saying... If a high tax on cigarettes is to discourage smoking, what is a high tax on income for?

Actually the tax on cigarettes is not only to discourage the consume, but also to pay for the cure and research for the many cigarette related diseases and ill people.

In my opinion it is quite arrogant to say that NSXPrime "should be free". Who decide what should be free? Is the work that Lud does "normal" in your book? I am sure I probably would not want to put a ot of work in somehing for free.

Many internet services used to be free and now you have to pay. You don't want them? Do not use them. Simple as this...

I do not say that NSXPrime should cost. But it does not sound to me as a very insane idea either.

Hell, the time I spend here is time where I do not have to go out clubbing, or renting/buying DVDs, ... so it also reduces expenses in my case! :p

Another (stupid) idea: I find that people with over 500 posts should be at least Gold contributor and those with over 1000 posts should be at least Platinum and so on... afterall hi posters also eat up resources (CPU and disk space...).

NetViper said:
Charging by post is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Maybe it is OK for people that have only "20" posts... :rolleyes:

Maybe only 20 posts but already "NSXPrime.com Hero" status ! :rolleyes:

I Vote for Annual Fee

i say charge a fee for annual membership. $9.99 or so.
i am pretty confident that most all nsx owners who use this site respect what Lud brings to the community via Prime. And a quarter tank of gas for an annual membership offering countless dollars in knowledge/advice is hardly asking much. This should not even be an issue with most Prime users.

IN ADDITION, the donation feature should remain implemented and those who donate should automatically get 'membership'. that will still allow those who really appreciate Luds efforts to continue to give what they feel is appropriate. (or whatever they can give). It takes a lot of effort to run a forum like this. and, with the added revenue, who knows, Lud may even be able to use some of the additional funds to improve the site. Maybe things like more news, more frequent updates, etc. things like that will appeal to more vendors which will lead to more ad space, which could lead to more Prime member discounts, which could.... alright, i'm getting carried away here. ;)

$9.99 a year is only .027 cents a day! wow.

gheba_nsx said:
Actually the tax on cigarettes is not only to discourage the consume, but also to pay for the cure and research for the many cigarette related diseases and ill people.

LOL... perhaps the money from NSXPrime could be used to find a cure from our additions to the NSX/NSXPrime? :D ROFL

Just thought I change my avatar in honor of Luds trip to South Beach..... oh yeah and the fact that he is out in the Caribbean for a week and cant check this :)

Armando

$50.00 donation by those who really use this site...like me.should help cover the costs, hell if you really own an NSX or are going to in the near future you should have 50.00 to donate. Let LUD take down the site for two days again and see how many of you would miss this site. You don't know how much you use and appreciate something ie: NSXPRIME until it's gone. LUD please pm me a direct mailing address and I will send you 100.00. and no I am not wealthy like some who post here, I have a wife and 3 kids. But I do enjoy this site and rarely miss a day to just check photos and stuff for sale....No I am not LUD's cousin just a NSXPRIME user who gets tired of people bitching about something not being free...Last note, how many of you have saved at least 50.00 on buying parts from a fellow member? Hell I wouldn't have my vinney side skirts, ww rear spats, HID headlights, spoilers, brake lever, carbon dash kit etc....Think about it.!!.......Thanks for listening.....Brent:)

supportfrosty.gif

If I think that only yesterady I "spared" 200+ $ only by "repairing" in 5 minutes the CD changer with the E-01 message.

Without Prime I would have bought a new changer... :(

If anyone would like to donate via PayPal.

The custom user titles are as follows:

$5 - Supporter
$10 - Silver Member
$25 - Gold Member
$50 - Platinum Member
$100 - Patron
$250 - Champion
$500 - Hero

These are cumulative life-time levels. Meaning if you send in $10 one year you'd be Silver, then if you sent another $15 next year you'd move up to Gold.

Lud has done an excellent job from day one and I will support anything Lud decides to do with HIS NSXPrime.

Thank you Lud for all the hard work.

I agree I think it's quite humorous that individualy we think this is "our" site.It is Luds' site,plain and simple.Prime is not about, or for, the most frequent or forceful posters(they may assume it is).It is what it is,and reflects the nsx owner/enthusiast demographic which makes for a good community.Luds great ability is to controll very lightly,sometimes too piano, but thats mho.

Good point.

I actually thought this thread was about a date with Lud, hehe.
Goss, tell alls and such were thought to be forthcoming.
:)

As for trolls getting out of hand, i haven't seen it.

:confused:

Lud could do what S2ki.com does. They ask you list to register your car's VIN. If it matches, then you are a Owner/Guest. If you are not an Owner then you are classified as Enthusiast/Guest. From there on, its:

1. Member-$20. It lets you post pics.
2. Gold member-$50(i think)which lets store all your pics on the site(ala ofoto).

Just a quick thought, if costs of running the site is the reason for ading a fee then maybe alternative ways to bring in funds should be looked at prior to a member fee. Other forums I've been to I would think probably turn a profit based on the ads they do. Most times all of them are from vendors for the car that they support. Granted the NSX has the NSXCA but I'm sure there's other vendors that wouldn't mind supporting and maybe not doing as big a discount than the NSXCA members do for a small advertising fee. Just my 2 cents.

IMO it appears NSX Prime has become the voice of the NSX owners and lovers. Being both I feel an obligation to the community to contribute and have. If additional contribution is needed please include me. But a pay to view site seems contrary to the Honda everyman theme. Thank you Lud (where ever your tanning) for the communication device you provide. Gil

If this does become a pay site or what have you, if you don't like it then there's plenty of other car forums out there or start your own. I agree with the others, this isn't our site, it belongs to the originator.

DocL said:
He is a great guy and deserves a lot of credit for keeping Prime alive and running.

Anyway, there was some interesting ideas about the future of NSX Prime. For the meantime we may have a new webmaster and possibly a registration fee.

I am obviously too much out of the loop... but what is happening to Lud? I credit Lud with introducing me to the NSX and he is directly responsible for me buying BOTH of the NSXs that I have had. I would hate to see Lud's contribution diminish, but I can only imagine what kind of time and dedication it must take to make this all happen.

With that said, we have servers, bandwidth and just about anything that Lud might need, including support staff, etc. If you need something Lud, just say the word buddy, you know you can count on the G-man to step up to the plate.

Okay guys, Armando and I wanted to see the reaction that some of your would have if there was an administrative fee to be paid to be part of this site. As it is, there are few people that contributed to this thread that haven't made a donation to the site as seen by looking at their avatar. There is obviously a cost required to maintain this site, but what they are I have no idea. Armando suggested a set fee every year, and I agreed with him. Look people, a lot of us that post here own an NSX, and some of us even belong to the NSXCA. How difficult would it be for us pay $10, $20, or even $30, to be a part of a club. That is what NSX Prime has developed into and because of NSX Prime I have meet some great people from coast-to-coast.

So, besides Armando having the ability to change his avatar while Lud is away, he brought up some very good points at dinner the other night.

Ultimately this is Lud's site, and whatever he wishes to do with it is his decision. As far as I know ther are not going to be any changes unless Armando becomes a moderator. :eek:

Back