• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Had dinner with Lud tonight.

DocL said:
As it is, there are few people that contributed to this thread that haven't made a donation to the site as seen by looking at their avatar.

Oh yeah! You wanna make something of it! :)

Honestly, I would have contributed whatever was needed along the way. I did buy one of the really small crystal NSXs. :)

I have an idea... why not have NSXCA front some bucks to support this vital resource. We pay our dues to NSXCA and this would be a great way to see our money go to something that we can all use. (of course this is also a way to get Ken riled up again too). :)

G-man said:
Oh yeah! You wanna make something of it! :)

Honestly, I would have contributed whatever was needed along the way. I did buy one of the really small crystal NSXs. :)

I have an idea... why not have NSXCA front some bucks to support this vital resource. We pay our dues to NSXCA and this would be a great way to see our money go to something that we can all use. (of course this is also a way to get Ken riled up again too). :)

It costs time and money to keep this playground of ours up and running , your membership to NSXCA although a good thing has nothing to do with picking up any part of the bill for this site. If it costs the members 30,40 or even $100.00 a year then so be it, consider all the money people have saved by being able to ask for tips on our cars. If the money is an issue then reconsider the car you are driving, or ask Lud how many hours he spends keeping us in and on line and see how many are willing to make the effort oh and dont forget to pay the bill................

Armando

Armando,

Some clarification here would be helpful.

If Prime needs more money to keep functioning, that's one thing. But, if the reason to charge a fee is to dissuade the riff-raff (as was mentioned earlier), well that's another thing altogether.

-Jim

Jimbo said:
Armando,

If Prime needs more money to keep functioning, that's one thing. But, if the reason to charge a fee is to dissuade the riff-raff (as was mentioned earlier), well that's another thing altogether.

-Jim

Jim

Although most of us work to turn a profit, I dont feel that is Luds thinking,the reason behind the conversation the other evening (in between eye candy watching) was for Lud if anything to break even, and to do that a fee would have to be implemented, a by product of that would be to weed out the people that dont belong here, and if he turns a profit , good for him, he has a product most of us want and are willing to pay for the convinience of this site. just my .02 or maybe .04 worth.

Armando

Jimbo said:
Armando,

-Jim

Keeping the riff-raff away doesn't seem to be the important factor here, and Lud doesn't seem to be having a problem funding the site. But, the growing membership and cost of keeping NSX Prime as good as it is does cost something. I did ask Lud about sponsership with the NSXCA and he wants to keep this site private and seperate from the national club. And he has every right to do so as this will keep him in control.

Anway, all of this was a brainstorm at dinner. Lud is a terrific guy and he truly enjoys seeing us involved with NSX Prime.

You guys know where I stand. However, this is his decision, (just like all of the other cars' forum owners,) and not ours. NOT OURS!

Jimbo said:

Jimbo, I think you have hit the nail on the head for sure. Let me elaborate and perhaps offer some insights...

First off, I don't know that Lud has asked for, wants or needs any "help", perhaps all he wants is to just not have this be a drain on time and resources. If that is the case, then I will gladly pay anything and Lud can continue as he alway has.

But, if money alone won't solve the problem, then may I suggest:

1) BANDWIDTH:
Where I am now we have access to a DS-3 line (T3) and have more than enough bandwidth to handle NSXPRIME.COM traffic for free.

2) SERVERS:
We currently have 2 dozen servers of varying capabilities and can easily pull one off the shelf if a server upgrade is required.

3) SUPPORT STAFF:
We have a team of highly trained award winning personnel standing by to assist Lud in whatever way possible.

4) COMMUNITY:
This is what we do. We already run the Porsche Clubs and Miata Club websites and forums and even host the forums for Las Vegas Ferrari Club.

So, Lud (if you are listening - and I know you always are) if you want or need anything, I am literally a phone call away.

As to the "riff raff", keep in mind that I lurked around this forum for a year before I owned my first NSX and now I have owned 2... and I owe it all to Lud. I am not sure I would have paid in the beginning and look at all I would have missed. :)

Armando - Thanks for a GREAT time in Miami. You are an amazing host. Now fix your avatar or you're suspended! (I told you the ship had a web connection ;) )

NSX Prime said:
Armando - Thanks for a GREAT time in Miami. You are an amazing host. Now fix your avatar or you're suspended! (I told you the ship had a web connection ;) )

You are welcome here anytime, now go back to watching the sites around the pool. Ill go stand in the corner with AndyV for a while.

Armando

G-man said:
why not have NSXCA front some bucks to support this vital resource. We pay our dues to NSXCA and this would be a great way to see our money go to something that we can all use.
DocL said:
I did ask Lud about sponsership with the NSXCA and he wants to keep this site private and seperate from the national club. And he has every right to do so as this will keep him in control.
The NSX Club of America and Lud/NSXprime have a very positive relationship and history with each other. Each serves a distinct role in serving the NSX community.

FWIW, I have told Lud on several occasions that the Board of the NSXCA would be happy to consider any proposals he might have for arrangements in which the club might support NSXprime, financially and otherwise, while still leaving him with the ownership and control of NSXprime. That offer still stands.

nsxtasy said:
The NSX Club of America and Lud/NSXprime have a very positive relationship and history with each other. Each serves a distinct role in serving the NSX community.

FWIW, I have told Lud on several occasions that the Board of the NSXCA would be happy to consider any proposals he might have for arrangements in which the club might support NSXprime, financially and otherwise, while still leaving him with the ownership and control of NSXprime. That offer still stands.

Lud!!! Stay away from the light!!!! Dont go into the light!!!!

Ps let me put my avatar back

Armando

nsxtasy said:

See Ken, I knew I was feeling the love. :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think we all have benefited from PRIME and would do anything legal to continue to support Lud in whatever way he wanted. I would still be driving Porsche 911s if it weren't for Lud. :)

I am surprised that this Thread is still visible. I think that Lud should try a fee of $25 per year for 1 year a see what happens. I certainly have gotten my $25 per year out of this site in many different ways and I hope that I have given some helpful information as well. But I am for a $25 annual fee for 2006.

I was under the impression that this site (as with most similar sites) operates in a business model similar to network television. Its free to members with the resources to view/participate and it makes the majority of it's money from advertisements. Don't people pay to advertise here? Isn't it more attractive to advertise on a site with a very high membership and/or is part of your targeted demographic? Wouldn't charging a membership fee dramatically lower the member count and make the site less attractive to people/companies who would like to advertise here? Am I way off on this?

I would pay to be here.

It might be worth it to look at the model used by the forums at my favorite tech site, Ars Technica. The technical forums are free and open to registered users. The Off-Topic forums are not free. Staying on-topic in each forum is rigidly enforced.

One might think the off-topic forums would die but they are very active. The people who need tech information come to the site and get it for free but if you like the community and want to stay around and socialize, you pay. That's what I do and seemingly many hundreds or thousands of others as well. It works quite well I think.

If there is a problem funding the site that is one thing ...I Personally am willing to pay a membership fee........but if the site needs to loose some of the trolls that's a whole different ball of wax.....maybe I am one of the Trolls for all I know...but It would seem to me that Lud and the moderators could get rid of whoever they want....I have noticed that one very argumentative poster from the DC area seems to have disappeared....if that was Luds doing I say thank you....

zahntech said:
If there is a problem funding the site that is one thing ...I Personally am willing to pay a membership fee........but if the site needs to loose some of the trolls that's a whole different ball of wax.....maybe I am one of the Trolls for all I know...but It would seem to me that Lud and the moderators could get rid of whoever they want....I have noticed that one very argumentative poster from the DC area seems to have disappeared....if that was Luds doing I say thank you....
i'll say again that i would be willing to pay for a prime membership as a matter of routine; until then, i'll donate.

Back