• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Had some fun w/ an SL55 yesterday

Had some nice weather yesterday, decided to go for a drive and clear my noggin. I drive pretty reasonably (don't even hit VTEC very often, I short shift) but do have some fun now and then. Older guy in a nice blue SL55 pulls up next to me and does a kickdown. Man those things have some exhaust volume, and makes a blat-blat sound almost like a boxer. We go at it from a 3rd gear roll, feeling confident I give him the go...but he takes me by about a car length. We go again from a 2nd gear roll, this time I take him more seriously and launch it, and take him by about a car and a half. We exchange a friendly wave and part ways, happy to have each taken one. It's only when I get home and hit up google that I realize those cars run high 12's and better. I've had a few ppl tell me my car is a very healthy example considering the limited amount of work done so far, seems to be true.
- Jon

Do you have a LARGE Turbo or SUPER supercharger on your car?
If not, either the SL was in Limp mode or not being driven.
Those cars have massive power and will clean a well boosted NSX's clock. :confused:

My best buddy has one and he and I were dead even with my BBSC at 405 rwhp, he would slightly pull on me when I shifted. I agree with Len, no stock or non boosted nsx can touch one!

Some road tests show SL55's running 12.9's in the quarter so that's within the realm. BTW there's at least two members on Prime running mid 12's with basic weight reduction and I/H/E on their NSX's, not hard to believe when the 3.2 cars run 12.9-13.3 stock. Woody, if you're making 405 rwhp and a stock SL55 pulls on you when you shift...that's just rediculous. I assure you he wasn't in limp home mode.

Not to be a buzz-kill here, but..... after owning 2 NSX's as well as an SL55, I'd have to say the SL55 wasn't trying as hard as it could. Love the NSX, but the SL55 is just a BEAST.

TurboLexus said:
Some road tests show SL55's running 12.9's in the quarter so that's within the realm. BTW there's at least two members on Prime running mid 12's with basic weight reduction and I/H/E on their NSX's, not hard to believe when the 3.2 cars run 12.9-13.3 stock. Woody, if you're making 405 rwhp and a stock SL55 pulls on you when you shift...that's just rediculous. I assure you he wasn't in limp home mode.

If you are racing from a roll, the only thing that matters when comparing 1/4 mile time is the trap speed. NSX's can achieve better 1/4 mile times with much less trap speed because of the mid engine configuration allowing strong launches.

From Motor Trend, the SL55 AMG traps at 116.1 mph. A bolt on NA NSX may trap as high as 109-110. SC'd NSX's typically trap in the 115-120mph range but would probably initially fall behind the SL55 due to the torque deficiency.

I was smoked by an SL55:frown: and a woman driving as well. Im also supercharged and let her get the jump on me but that thing was lightning quick.

Wheelman said:
But was she hot?:tongue:

like a skanky milf:tongue: The best kind. We call them cougars around here.

The Kid said:
I was smoked by an SL55:frown: and a woman driving as well. Im also supercharged and let her get the jump on me but that thing was lightning quick.

Smoked??? I would figure with the SC and the short gears it would have at least been close.....was it??

jadkar said:
Smoked??? I would figure with the SC and the short gears it would have at least been close.....was it??

I was kind of laid back and chillin' and this chick just floors it straight from the light, it was tough to catch her.:frown: Far from a "fair race":wink:

The Kid said:
I was kind of laid back and chillin' and this chick just floors it straight from the light, it was tough to catch her.:frown: Far from a "fair race":wink:

God, I hate when people get the jump on me :( I usually lay back at the lights too because I feel stupid if I pounce on it and the other guy does nothing :) You probably had no idea she was gonna do that....... something Karen would do :D

Mike...your car runs mid-12's, an SL55 isn't going to do better than that, I think if it was a fair race you'd be close to each other. I give you credit for being man enough to admit you got beat by a chick in a convertible, who got the jump on you no less :smile:

Last edited:
Back