• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

hardtop to t-top? could it be done?

hi, i am seraching for an nsx and i really want to get a t top. but it cost like 10k more. i was wondering if i can cut the hardtop to make it t top? anybody member in here done it before? how about cost, windnosie and will anybody notice the different?

I bet it's possible since few converted their hardtop into vert...
but I think it might be more expensive and time consuming to make it into coupe to targa. Why not consider 95? I don't think 95 will be that expensive compare to 91 coupe...:redface:

lollolboy said:
I bet it's possible since few converted their hardtop into vert...
but I think it might be more expensive and time consuming to make it into coupe to targa. Why not consider 95? I don't think 95 will be that expensive compare to 91 coupe...:redface:

i couple find a 91 for $22-23k coupe if i look very hard. but the targa from 95/96 are about $32-36k. i tought if i convert a coupe to targa would be somewhere around 1-3k.

Ojas said:
Don't do it. You're better off getting the NSX-T. It's 2006 and the incremental cost to go from 1991-1994 NSX to 1995-1996 NSX-T is much smaller than the cost to do the hackjob + depreciation of an otherwise fine hardtop. The hacked NSX won't have the structural reinforcements a real NSX-T has, either.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74527
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27735
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18470

oh, i didn't thought of that, you are right. but had anybody in here that done it? i want to hear some opinion from them. again, thanks for all the reply!

Please don't mess up a coupe by doing that.....buy a t-top if you really want one......if you don't have the money now just keep saving until you have it for the t-top.

ediddynsx said:
Please don't mess up a coupe by doing that.....buy a t-top if you really want one......if you don't have the money now just keep saving until you have it for the t-top.
Absolutely.

ediddynsx said:

thank you, i will take your advice. but i think targa looks like a totally different car. i am not sure if $10 is worthy tho.

There is advantage to having hardtop than targa. Don't mess with the car. :smile:

Not only will you ruin the structural integrity of a coupe by converting it into a targa, you'll kill the resale value. It would probably cost more to do the conversion than the difference in price anyway. At least to get a job that was factory quality.

Hugh said:
Not only will you ruin the structural integrity of a coupe by converting it into a targa, you'll kill the resale value. It would probably cost more to do the conversion than the difference in price anyway. At least to get a job that was factory quality.

i guess that's not a very too idea after all. thanks your all

topgearnsx said:
i couple find a 91 for $22-23k coupe if i look very hard. but the targa from 95/96 are about $32-36k. i tought if i convert a coupe to targa would be somewhere around 1-3k.

$1,000 - $3,000??

yea, sure. Maybe for the repaint of the top alone. To do it correctly, you should remove the entire top structure and replace it with the parts from a targa... sort of the reverse procedure that a member did a while back (02+ Targa --> Coupe). You can't just take a hacksaw and cut the roof off.

Also, $22,000 NSX's might not even be worth buying. A worthy 91-94 should be atleast $28K, with most good examples nicking the low 30's. The 95-96 is not much more than that, because alot of people who want a targa just move to the 97+ cars. The 95-6 is a nice year to buy if you want the targa but don't have $40,000.

Save your money... buy a targa... or else you'll put $35,000 (car+the work) into a car that you can resell for $17000 (because it's butchered). I'd rather spend $32,000 on a 95 and have a car worth $32,000.

Back