• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has anyone looked into getting a Mini Cooper?

Got real close to getting a Subaru WRX this weekend, but decided to keep looking around for a little while longer. I had almost forgotten about the Mini Cooper. For those of you who have checked into them, how long is the wait if you order one? Has anyone taken one out on a test drive? Are there even any around to test drive? Are they going to be so hard to get that the price will be higher than sticker?

Edit....

I forgot to mention, I am not in a big hurry for a 2nd car. So, waiting several months for a car is no big deal. Don't really want to pay way above sticker, though.

Thanks,

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
11,000 miles
No Mods

[This message has been edited by NSXForEver (edited 07 April 2002).]

i saw in a couple at the auto show really nice cars they even have dynamic stability ala bmw. very solid cars for like 17k although from what i've read there's gonna be a waiting list a lot of people are going after them. personally although it's a nice car i'd spend a few more bucks and get the wrx cause it's quick with the awd and u can even tune it for cheap to be a really fun daily driver.

I would want to test drive one before I make a decision. The WRX is pretty tempting since it is easier to get and my wife really likes it (it's really her decision anyway
smile.gif
). The AWD is a big plus too since I plan to drive it when the weather is not nice enough for my NSX.

Matt

To my surprise, I was out this evening waiting at a stop light and one of the new Mini's drove by. It was dark out, and it did drive right past my driver's door going in the opposite direction. I believe the color was black with a silver or white top. I spoke to a former Acura salesperson the other day, now at BMW, and I was told they are available here in Honolulu. I haven't made the time to stop by the "BMW of Honolulu" to see them. I couldn't find anything on their web page yet. I was told they are priced around $20-22M. And, I see e-Bay has some available already. See web/forum with 3 listed at http://newmini.weblogs.com/ ...Aloha...
cool.gif

There's a sattelite BMW dealership devoted solely to the Mini that just opened here in town. I haven't been there yet, but there was a story in the paper last week that they're getting swamped. Most people are wanting the Type-S ? and this is going for almost 25K, with a wait that may end up till next January.

I'm 1st on the list at MINI of Nashville for a new Cooper S. I placed my deposit in January 2001. Should be spec'ing out my car soon, and expect delivery in July.

Should be a fun little car. I'd certainly get it instead of the Subaru if I were you if only for the fact it's a better looking car. The Cooper S goes to 60 mph in 6.9 seconds, but better yet, goes through the slalom at nearly 69 mph (faster than an NSX, and most if not all Ferraris and Porsches).

Waiting lists vary, as do what dealers are charging. MINI of Nashville is only charging me MSRP, while I've heard of many dealers adding mandatory extras (such as purchase of $1000-2000 of MINI accessories), or even worse, adding $2000+ to the sticker and not giving you anything (except the opportunity to buy the car).

My son wants me to order a red Mini with the black roof to match my red '91 NSX, but I'm still undecided on the color I'll choose.

Hey Mike - hadn't talked to you in awhile.

I agree that the MINI is a better looking car.

I don't mind paying for mandatory extras. Padding the MSRP would annoy me though. Is the dealer down in Nashville pretty good to work with? Do they have a demo car available for test drives? I am trying to decide between Cincinnati (where I have family and visit frequently) or Nashville (the closest dealer). Guess I'll call them both and see what they say. I don't think Evansville's BMW dealership is going to start a MINI dealership.

Matt

[This message has been edited by NSXForEver (edited 08 April 2002).]

Matt,

The worst thing about the BMW (MINI) of Nashville dealership is that they have just broken ground in the past week or so on their separate MINI showroom, which means that they will not get any demos until the MINI building is completed. That should be in 60-90 days or so.

I believe that they are sold out for the first 3-4 months (at least) of their MINI's, but I'm guessing you might be able to get one by the fall or the end of the year.

Call and talk with Nancy Allen and tell her you know me. I'm getting MSRP (since my wife and I have bought 5 new and 2 used BMW's from them over the years). Nancy's # is 615-850-4002. She's a BMW salesperson, so she'll probably put you in touch with Larry Barbro, who's the MINI sales manager.

BMW of Nashville has always treated us fairly and I would recommend buying from them.

Heres a couple of MINI sites to go to which are similar to this site:
www.mini2.com
www.roadfly.com

Is anyone surprised at the weight of the 'S'? The website (www.miniusa.com --> very cool) listed 2678 lbs. This makes it
only 100 lbs. lighter than a 6-spd RSX type-S and about 175 pounds heavier than a 6-spd Celica GT-S. And I was unable to find the exterior dimensions on the Mini.

Originally posted by NSXForEver:
I agree that the MINI is a better looking car.

Compared with the Subaru WRX - yes. Compared with anything else on the road - no.
biggrin.gif

Is anyone surprised at the weight of the 'S'?

Yes... until I realized who makes it. BMW is known for over-heavy cars.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Compared with the Subaru WRX - yes. Compared with anything else on the road - no.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I guess both of the cars I am looking at are an acquired taste. I like the MINI, though. The WRX, on the other hand, isn't all that great looking.

Before you hang "ugliest car" on the WRX, though, let's not forget about the Pontiac Aztec and the Toyota Echo. Those are certainly strong candidates for the award.
biggrin.gif

Matt

[This message has been edited by NSXForEver (edited 09 April 2002).]

Originally posted by NSXForEver:
Yeah, I guess both of the cars I am looking at are an acquired taste. I like the MINI, though. The WRX, on the other hand, isn't all that great looking.

Before you hang "ugliest car" on the WRX, though, let's not forget about the Pontiac Aztec and the Toyota Echo. Those are certainly strong candidates for the award.
biggrin.gif

Matt

[This message has been edited by NSXForEver (edited 09 April 2002).]

Don't forget the new Cadillac Roadster!

Took a quick stop at the new local Mini dealership today. Didn't have time to really check things out, but it was fun and interesting. Whole store devoted to the Mini, with accessories and apparel as well. Reminded me of a motorcycle shop.Sales guys seemed nice and offered help. Could have taken a test drive if I had had the time. Would have been the basic model though. Nice looking cars up close, but only with the optional trim/body kits and wheels. Seem to be well built, comfortable interior with lots of room inside. I would expect major damage even in a minimal impact, as the engine is literally inches from the front of the car.As I had read in the paper, the top of the line model was going for around 25k.I expect this car will be a big hit with the younger crowd who want something other than an Asian import. Sales guy kept touting that it's built by bmw, but the engine is made in Brazil, and most of the parts are from UK, so who knows how much German input is actually in the car. I think I'd rather have the subaru for the all-wheel drive.

I went to the BMW dealer today and they had a mini in the showroom. It is a fairly big car, it was on a two inch high platform and it looked as tall and almost as wide as the 300CIC it was beside.
I didn't ask the price or look at any details but it was no worse looking than the Z8, horrible looking hardtop, or the 745i.
The mini had nice leather seats and a big sunroof.

You're right - how could I forget about the Aztek? My bad.

I went to the BMW dealer today and they had a mini in the showroom. It is a fairly big car, it was on a two inch high platform and it looked as tall and almost as wide as the 300CIC it was beside.

The MINI is indeed fairly tall (56 inches). However, it is short in LENGTH, only 12 feet long. For its size, it's also not particularly light in weight; at 2500 pounds it's about the same as a Celica.

A very good friend of mine just got his Cooper this week. Yellow with a checkered flag on the roof. I think they look great, especially compared to all the other look-a-likes out there right now. I am a little surprised about the weight, but with the wheels at just about the true geometric corners of the rectangle, it has to have a fabulous center of gravity. I think it does a 68-70mph slalom. Plenty of room inside, has six airbags, ABS, TCS, DSC, 16" or 17" wheels and nice brakes. Dunlop 3000 series tires? A trunk almost as big as the NSX. A non supercharged version less than 20 grand. His is still in the break in period so no galant test drives. 6800 RPM redline. Tach mounted on the steering column. Speedometer in the center of the dash (and it is huge!). Overall, a neat little track car.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Back