• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HDMI monitor in navpod, with iPhone5s mirroring

71hZt0jd1AL._SL1000_.jpg

I found the HDMI monitor above here:
http://amzn.to/17ebcsY

It is full HD resolution, plus has several other video inputs and an audio output.

and this iPhone holder here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929767-REG/velocity_clip_100_clip_gear_mount.html
929767.jpg

and installed the very high-res (and bright!) monitor in my navpod (it fits fully, perfectly, with some modifications to the pod)
and hooked it up to my iPhone5s. Pure digital music, full web access, full mirroring of anything I can do with my iPhone.

HDMIsetup.jpg

Attachments

• 929767.jpg
    929767.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 154
  • HDMIsetup.jpg
    HDMIsetup.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 159
Wow, amazing. I was wondering when they were going to release something with an HDMI in!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you describe the wiring to the iPhone HDMI adapter?

Wow, amazing. I was wondering when they were going to release something with an HDMI in!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you describe the wiring to the iPhone HDMI adapter?

The monitor has an HDMI input... so, it's just an iPhone HDMI adapter, which has an HDMI output.

cheers,
--bruce

ps I bought this cable:

http://amzn.to/1bBC2DT

which is the lower cable in my iPhone in the photo above... so that I could
put the iPhone HDMI adapter up behind the monitor, just so it looks nice...
the iPhone HDMI adapter for the iPhone5s is ugly and white...
this cord and the HDMI adapter also recharges the phone, as well as functioning
as an HD output and audio output if you choose to do audio that way (i did not)

Last edited:
Confused, you linked an HDMI cable. Did you find a lightning cable extension?

nothing fill up the nav pod like OEM TL screen/ navi touch screen with control stick and OEM buttons where the ashtray use to be. LOL

I need to paint it but its as close as OEM you will ever see.

2013-10-07_09-13-55_562.jpg

Also confused, picture looks like an HDMI cable is plugged directly into iPhone?
Sorry, I did use the above cable also... but here is the lightning extender:

http://bit.ly/1hwD2GL

cheers,
--bruce

- - - Updated - - -

nothing fill up the nav pod like OEM TL screen/ navi touch screen with control stick and OEM buttons where the ashtray use to be. LOL

I need to paint it but its as close as OEM you will ever see.

View attachment 106208

That will be very nice when it is done... but I am guessing it is not full HD, with full iPhone mirroring and Internet/Web access...

:cool:

I always do this w/ my Pioneer AVIC F500BT & iPhone 5. Do you have your iPhone 5S connected to the OEM Bose head-unit w/ an aux-input converter (USA Spec, Blitzsafe, LogJam, PIE, etc) so you can get your iPhone audio over the stock speakers?

I always do this w/ my Pioneer AVIC F500BT & iPhone 5. Do you have your iPhone 5S connected to the OEM Bose head-unit w/ an aux-input converter (USA Spec, Blitzsafe, LogJam, PIE, etc) so you can get your iPhone audio over the stock speakers?

From what I understand about the Pioneer unit, or any other commercial unit that displays a video representation of the iPhone...
it's not a full mirror of the iPhone. such units display a very limited subset of apps. There is an informal collection of safety regulations
under google searches about "mirror link."

I have a full mirror of what's on the iPhone..everything.

To answer your question...the audio in my system is an FM broadcast from a previous Cartoys installation...
i know so many people would be turned off by that... but the system Cartoys put in is more than decently powerful.
sorry i cannot be more specific about it,
but it's way more powerful than any USB FM broadcast units widely available now.

...also... ihaven't modified any of the original system... this is like a secondary system running on top of the original.

cheers and thanks,

--bruce

What is the actual resolution? is it in the spec?

From what I understand about the Pioneer unit, or any other commercial unit that displays a video representation of the iPhone...
it's not a full mirror of the iPhone. such units display a very limited subset of apps.."
I beleive the pioneer app radio with slight modifications will do full mirrioring including fully controlling the iphone from the pioneer touch screen. However it couldn't be mounted in the navpod and don't think it's HD

it's not a full mirror of the iPhone. such units display a very limited subset of apps. There is an informal collection of safety regulations
under google searches about "mirror link."

I have a full mirror of what's on the iPhone..everything.

To answer your question...the audio in my system is an FM broadcast from a previous Cartoys installation...
i know so many people would be turned off by that... but the system Cartoys put in is more than decently powerful.
sorry i cannot be more specific about it,
but it's way more powerful than any USB FM broadcast units widely available now.

...also... ihaven't modified any of the original system... this is like a secondary system running on top of the original.

cheers and thanks,

--bruce
The full-mirror of an iPhone (pre-4S) was possible via a jail-break, and then via mirror/airplay (post-4S) on a given LCD. I believe there was a Prime member (or two) who did such w/ the AVIC F500BT.

I could've sworn the AVIC F500BT had an HDMI input. I know there are 3.5mm, USB, mini-USB, and component inputs (along w/ Bluetooth). This is something I seriously want to do soon'ish, I've just been putting it off for years. I guess I'll start w/ getting all the parts/components I don't already have (ground-loop isolator, proprietary Apple iPhone mirror/airplay adapter, {Pioneer iPhone cable, etc).

I beleive the pioneer app radio with slight modifications will do full mirrioring including fully controlling the iphone from the pioneer touch screen. However it couldn't be mounted in the navpod and don't think it's HD
Yups - that's the case w/ some of the (newer) Pioneer AVIC in-dash double-din units which have App Radio capability. The AVIC F500BT was in-essence a hand-held LCD which had sat-nav, A/V, and other media capabilities - while being able to be integrated w/ an existing OEM sound-system (via an aux input converter). It just offered a clean, (relatively) simple solution to adding sat-nav & mp3/mp4 capability via JDM nav-pod, to an existing OEM Bose head-unit.

Last edited:
Back