• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Cabin Technology Refresh Project (picture intensive!)

Hi,

This is an amazing piece of work - exactly what I have been looking for. It maintains the original layout but updates it to the 21st century in terms of ICE. A specific question - I too have the USA Spec iPod adaptor installed How does this better facilitate installation given that I am not the best skilled at this sort of installation? Are there any equivalent descriptions of how to combine this pod / Nexus with this adaptor?

I am in the US frequently on business (Houston) so can easily pick up the various bits at Fry's on I45 for example

Thanks

You can plug the Nexus 7 audio output directly into the Grom Aux input. The only thin that you might need from Frys is a 3.5mm male to male extension cable. For some reason, the Grom has to be set to "iPod" to hear the audio in this manner - took me a few tense moments to figure that one out!

I'm really inspired so I bought 16GB 1st generation Nexus 7 for $80 in craigslist just now and Navpod is coming in a few weeks.. Thank you clean_green for posting this and great job everyone who has finished theirs. I hope that I can finish mine too. I already have a double-din installed so I will just run the AUX into that, and as for power, I'm thinking of just installing a USB charger and tap into the cigarette lighter.
20140618_151449.jpg

I'm really inspired so I bought 16GB 1st generation Nexus 7 for $80 in craigslist just now and Navpod is coming in a few weeks.. Thank you clean_green for posting this and great job everyone who has finished theirs. I hope that I can finish mine too. I already have a double-din installed so I will just run the AUX into that, and as for power, I'm thinking of just installing a USB charger and tap into the cigarette lighter.
View attachment 113697

Best of luck on this worthy project! I love mine :biggrin:

Thanks for the write up and updates Clean Green. This is 100x better than my Garmin RV 7" in the pod idea lol. If anyone wants to tackle this in the PacNW area, hit me up. I don't have any components yet and would be great if someone that knows software do that part while I do the install part (minus the soldering). Need to scratch this ICE project off my list.

Last edited:
I need to finish off my install this week for a NSX meet this weekend. Still have to figure out a good way to secure the Nexus in the NAVPod though. I think I am going to have to cut up some MDF and make a brace. Anyone have a good idea for bracing it in the NAVPod that does not require a machine shop?

Very good information here. I have been looking for information on doing this with the Nexus 7 2nd gen into a different car. Rooting will actually allow split screen multi-tasking. I plan on split screening waze and spotify normally, as well as running dash command, torque, and tasker.

any video of this split screen in action? are you using xposed framework + xmultiwindow?

Last edited:
any video of this split screen in action? are you using xposed framework + xmultiwindow?

I never ended up doing this. The unit is in my car now and has been running well for about a month. Tasker is doing what it should be doing with only a handful of glitches where the unit does not set the screen timer correctly and the battery dies (this is a pain because then I have to partially remove the stereo cluster to turn the unit back on again - not a problem in my Volvo since it takes ~ 2 minutes, but could be a pain in other cars). My plan was root my Nexus 7 and use XMultiWindow but I found switching between the apps to be simple enough. I am not even running a front end splash screen, just the standard Android home screen with no icons.

photo1_zps10234b53.jpg

And more for those on here interested in Dash Command, it is a pretty good App with a few more features than Torque Pro. This is just the standard home screen. You can customize it completely like many are doing now with SoS's VGA screen output for the AEM systems. There is also a built in G-meter, acceleration/performance meters, gps lap tracking, etc.

photo2_zps9fd02bff.jpg

Last edited:
A great app for switching apps quickly is GMD Gesture control. You can set it to use custom gestures to switch to the nextprevious app.

I have a N7 crappily mounted in my civic, and I use 3 finger swipes left/right for next/previous app, and 2 finger swipes left/right for next/previous track. can also bring up the native task switcher etc. with other gestures. much easier than hitting the small nav bar or music control buttons while driving.

there's also a guy on the xda forums who used a JoyCon to interface with the built in steering wheel controls on his car, and installed a backup camera using the N7 as well. here's the thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2113259

and lastly, for those with battery drain issues, you can look into Timur's USB Rom. It adds nice things like usb host + charging simultaneously as well as limiting battery drain when the screen is off. It does require rooting/unlocking the bootloader though, and it's based on an older version of android.
http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

Last edited:
I've had a request for more pics of the pod build up to show more detail. This is the plastic block that the aluminum tablet bracket screws to. It's 1/2" thick ABS, about 3" x 2". The three brass inserts are #10-32 thread
http://
dpz2mw.jpg

Hey clean_green,
I finished my modification to the tablet, just waiting for the NAV Pod which is coming next week. Where did you get the block?

Hey clean_green,
I finished my modification to the tablet, just waiting for the NAV Pod which is coming next week. Where did you get the block?

Actually, it was a piece of scrap from our model shop at work. Your best bet is to find a plastics outlet/mfg'er in your area. They will probably have small pieces of scrap that you can buy for cheap. If not, some place like www.onlinemetals.com or www.mcmastercarr.com will have it. It doesn't even really have to be plastic.
MDF would work fine too.

Clean_green, this is an AMAZING mod. I am tempted to perform it but I don't want to make any mods to my car just yet. Excellent work!

wake up N7

Finished mine too. Repainted the original console to match the nav pod (besides it had a couple scrapes from the old vent).

I found the volume matched the radio/ipod volume if I maximized it on the Nexus.

Does anybody know a way of turning off the display without disabling the touch feature? I'd like to black out the screen but still be able to wake it up by touching it. Perhaps there's an app for that.

View attachment 112118

There is a little secret with a magnet on the N7s 1st and 2nd gen.... it you swipe a magnet by the screen left to right on the bottom area, it will wake up from sleep.
i use a little magnet to do this. it works on both versions. i have the 2nd gen

I'm glad i found this thread. it is indeed a very nice write up.:biggrin:

There is a little secret with a magnet on the N7s 1st and 2nd gen.... it you swipe a magnet by the screen left to right on the bottom area, it will wake up from sleep.

Glad to be of service :biggrin: The magnet trick is cool for sure, but I wanted the screen to turn on in the accessory I position automatically so that is why I chose the route that I went.

Kool to know but the magnet trick didn't work for me. Is your's rooted or does it matter rooted or not & how big is the magnet you're using?

Kool to know but the magnet trick didn't work for me. Is your's rooted or does it matter rooted or not & how big is the magnet you're using?

The magnet trick works even on a non-rooted device. The one that I used was fairly powerful. With the N7 in landscape orientation, I swiped the magnet slowly, left to right and right to left on the bottom side. Give it another try.

Also, I found an absolutly screaming on a 32Gb Nexus 7 WiFi/4G for only $129 including shipping! I just ordered a second one :biggrin: Here's the link: http://altatac.shop.rakuten.com/p/a...?scid=em_Promotional_20140725DAILY&adid=17992

These are short term deals so act fast if you want one!

Last edited:
Alright finally got mine to work, it is rooted but not sure if that has something to do with it. Had to do a hard reboot & sure enough the magnet trick now works, glitch in N7 maybe.. HelllllllYeaaaaahh!!! :smile:
Best Trick/secret to wake up the N7 i have to say!!!... Great find Valenzul...

Finished mine!!!

20140731_092100.jpg

20140731_052621.jpg

Next stop is to paint the center console to look like new.

Thanks for the pics and instructions, couldn't do this without this thread.

Nim

There is now a skin available for the N7 audio player that pretty closely resembles the OEM orange back lighting scheme of the NSX. It actually looks closer in person than in this pic:
s2ti8k.jpg

****UPDATE - Now with WiFi Backup Camera!****

We all are familiar with how difficult it can be to back up in an NSX so I decided to integrate a backup camera into my tablet setup:

1zx9xtx.jpg

I didn't want to route wiring from the license plate to the tablet so I went with a WiFi setup from 4uCam. It displays on the tablet thru a free app:

y1j83.jpg

The camera mounting bracket that comes with the kit is designed to pick up on the upper 2 license plate mounting screws but that covers up a large portion of the state name and in Texas, that is a ticketable offense so it was back to the 3D printer to make a custom bracket:

1zvfl8m.jpg

The image doesn't automatically display when in reverse but the touch of a large icon on the tablet does the trick. I tried having the WiFi transmitter power up only when the reverse lights are on but there is about a 5 second delay before it starts outputting video. It's a very cool, easy and useful addition :biggrin:

Last edited:
Very cool setup clean_green. I only want gps so this will work minus everything else.. Might need to look into this..

Back