• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Header installation - doing it myself

For those of you thinking of installing headers yourself, you might be interested in the following exploits of installing headers with no lift. I work at a very moderate pace and I'm doing the work myself because I find it very enjoyable, a hobby if you will. I was an auto mechanic for about 6 years and a jet engine (TF-33 and TF-39) mechanic for 5 years. I'm an Information Systems Tech now but still love turning wrenches.

I jacked up the car enough to work comfortably. I also purchased some thick foam mats from Home Depot to lay on. The mats are sold in 4's, and are put together like a puzzle in any configuration you like. Much nicer than laying on concrete.

Night 1: Got started late (7:30pm) but did manage to remove the exhaust and cats. One cat was stuck to the muffler pipe but with a little finesse, came loose. Looking forward to replacing the exhaust (muffler) as the stock unit is pretty heavy. The Taitec lightweight exhaust should be here next Friday I hope. Anyway, no problems so far. Finished for the night at 10pm. Note: I removed the muffler assembly by my self. I laid under the muffler and removed the unit from the hangers. (Total work time for tonight: 2.5 hrs)

Night 2: Removed the rear exhaust manifold. Ran into a little trouble with figuring out how to get the box end wrench over the Oxygen sensor. At first I tried removing the sensor with a crows foot but the foot just expanded to the point where it would slip over the nut part of the sensor. I was thinking I could just cut the wires and then solder them back when finished, but I decided to call my neighbor for a second opinion.

He showed me how to remove the connector without damaging the wires (easy when you know how!). With the connector removed, and using a box end, the sensor didn't put up much of a fight.

Started removal of some of the items to get the front manifold off. Should have everything removed by tomorrow. I'm glad the heat shields aren't going back on as they are the biggest pain of the project so far. Oh yeah, not a glitch with removing the manifold nuts. Easy as pie. I'll leave instructions on how to remove the connector from the sensor later. I'm beat....long day at work. (Total work time for tonight: 3 hrs)

Night 3: All is removed. The only problem I had was removing the front engine mount center bolt. I ended up removing all bolts/nuts from the cross member. In doing so, the cross member dropped an inch or two, giving me more room to get to the engine mount center bolt. There is just not very much room to move a wrench/rachet, but dropping the cross member helps just enough. The front manifold was much more of a pain than the rear for sure.

Don't forget to remove the A/C compressor connector before removal of the compressor. Also, removing the cross member takes some finesse. I removed it on the drivers side. Again, as mentioned above, I'm sure glad the heat shields aren't going back on
smile.gif

Installation of new headers starts tomorrow. I have to work in the morning so won't get started until some time after noon. I have taken some pictures and will post them when project is finished. (Total work time for tonight: 3 hrs)

Night 4: Worked today then did lawn work before it started to rain. What I'm trying to say is I got started late today.

Both headers are on and all of the Front motor mount, front beam, Rod A, and Center rod assemblies are in place.

I used a different technic to put the Front Beam on. I read on someone else's post that they removed the plastic cover for the transmission shift levers, and then loosened the three bolts that hold the lever assembly to the transmission. Loosening the three bolts makes it much easier to reinstall the front beam for sure.

Next, installed the front motor mount to the beam while the front beam is still loose and hanging. Had no problems with holding the nut in place while I torqued the front motor mount bolt. I then pushed the front beam into place and used the two nuts (one at each end) to hold it in place loosely. I had just enough room to put the three bolts that hold the motor mount to the engine block. All went well but the bolt next to the header went very slowly, about an eighth of a turn at a time. Smaller hands would have allowed me to turn the bolt snug, then torque it down...oh well, it's done.

Didn't have to remove the rear engine center bolt and lift the engine as the instruction suggested I might have to do. Will install the oxygen sensors and route the wire tomorrow. The only thing next is the installation of the muffler assembly. I might drag my feet on that task as the Taitec Lightweight exhaust from SOS hopefully will arrive soon. Then again, it's really not much trouble to remove the exhaust once you've done it. (Total work time for tonight: 4 hrs)

Day 5: IT IS ALIVE! Installed both Oxygen sensors and routed the lines. As suggested, ran the front sensor line to the back and followed the other sensor path. The extensions supplied with the kit were just the right length. Secured in place with tie-wraps.

Installed the cats. Had to use the old O-ring seals since the new seals were not in the kit as the instructions would have you belive. I'll order some from Honda/Acura and install them when I do the new exhaust.

Installed the muffler system. Checked my work and fired it up. Nice header sound. Checked for leaks and found none. Lowered the car and test drove it. I was raining very lightly and the roads were slick so I couldn't really check WOT, but I do like the sound. Can't wait for the Taitec exhaust to come in and for dryer weather. (Total work time for today: 2 hrs)

For me, this was a fairly easy job. I will remove the headers in a year and send them to Jet-Hot for ceramic coating. Probably could do the same job in half the time now that I know were everything is. Was it worth saving the $200-300 to have someone else do it, you bet. But for me, it's not the money, it's the fact that I get to know the car better and personal satisfaction.
biggrin.gif

Pictures of the project can be found <title>New Page 1</title><base target="_blank"></head><body><a href="http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291005761">here</a></p>

biggrin.gif
fcec95e3.jpg

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

[This message has been edited by Litesokneecough (edited 16 December 2002).]

You are doing awesome! I have done this twice with hand tools and a floor jack.

First time took me over 20 hours!!! Second time was done in less then 5. The right tools and experiance make all the difference.

Good luck - let me know if you need any help.

Also - make sure you really tighten that engine mount back to factory torque specs. Even a 1/4 turn off will feel like slop in your drivetrain (ask me how I know)

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Congrats Greg, glad to hear you & the car are all in one piece at the culmination!
biggrin.gif

Like you, haven't really had a chance to test them out - it was late on Thursday & I didn't want to open up on the way home. Fortunately I resisted temptation when I saw a car bearing down at incredible rate when I was doing ~ 75mph - turned out to be state trooper, must have been doing well over 100 when he passed me on the right side! In the right (or should that be wrong?) frame of mind I could easily have taken him on before he caught up - a rush of common sense at that time of night prevailed!
Anyway, I digress - I have noticed a different sound to the exhaust, hard to describe, but it's positive. The throttle feels more responsive & I would swear the 1400 rpm rough spot (which seemed particularly horrible on mine) is much less pronounced.
Again like you, looking forward to clearing this horrendous weather we've been getting to give it a real test.

p.s. Just checked out your pics - great record of events & commend you on your car, looks very clean under there.

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 16 December 2002).]

Finally got a chance to test the headers as the weather has cleared.

Very nice sound for sure. Smoother idle, even when cold on startup. Harder pull from about 4500 rpm. Very happy with the setup. Taitec lightweight exhaust is next and soon I hope. Chip may be next after the exhaust.

NSX may not be the fastest, best handling, nicest riding, best looking, best braking car on the planet, but as a package, IT IS THE BEST! Man, I love this car....
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Litesokneecough (edited 21 December 2002).]

Greg, you're awesome. You're going to love the header/exhaust combo. When I got mine done (by someone else) it proved to be the best seat-of-the-pants upgrade I'd ever done.

Greg,

Nice Job, great write up. You have been offically added to "unofficial" NSX repair advisor list now!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats
smile.gif

I think most of us have found that writing about things takes just as long, if not longer then doing them, though!!

Glad it all worked out for you.

LarryB

Added the Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust tonight. I added pics at the link above. Easy install, just over an hour. Like the sound very much. Nice deep sound with just the right amount of "Snarl".

Maybe it's just my imagination, but the car feels faster. Technically, I'm sure it is since it is 30 pounds lighter, but I don't think anyone could feel the difference of 30 pounds. Maybe the exhaust flows better. ??

Inside, at idle, the Taitec is noisier, but not intrusive. It's funny too because at idle, it sounds like the engine is up front. Under acceleration, the exhaust can definitely be heard! At low rpm (2000), under acceleration, the sound is VERY DEEP, like a 454 CID Chevy. As the rpm's come up, the headers are very prominent and the exhaust sounds incredibly sweet. At cruising speed, the interior is noisier, but not by much, kind of like driving on a rough road. I don't think my wife is going to like the new setup as I won't let her listen to music in the car any more
biggrin.gif

A couple of notes about the exhaust:

1. The hanger posts on the Taitec exhaust are a bit smaller in diameter than the stock exhaust, making the rubber(?) hanger pieces a bit loose. The exhaust doesn't move though, just an observation.

2. The Taitec exhaust is a bit off center. Needs to be moved to the left (driver's side). Not sure how to center it but will try to adjust tomorrow.

3. If you change the exhaust from stock, expect more people wanting to race you. Just driving to Costco for gas, had two different guys (Prelude and a Celica) revving their engines and wanting to race. That doesn't happen to me very often, and to have it happen twice in one night, crazy. Maybe it's because it's New Year's Eve.

Thanks to Chris at SOS. Sorry to bug you so many times about the status of the exhaust. I know Christmas is a crazy time to order anything. Hope you have a good new year.

------------------

Hey, that's the same exhaust combination I have! It does sound nice and deep, very much like a V8. Here's my review:

Comptech Headers

[This message has been edited by Ponyboy (edited 01 January 2003).]

Originally posted by Ponyboy:
Hey, that's the same exhaust combination I have! It does sound nice and deep, very much like a V8. Here's my review:

Comptech Headers

[This message has been edited by Ponyboy (edited 01 January 2003).]

Hi,
If you don't mind, could you tell me about the header discount that you received? I try to keep up with this forum, but I seemed to have missed out on the header deal/special. Is it still going on? Please let me know who to contact or what to do.
Thanks in advance.
-Thomas
PS. I've got the Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust as well! :^)

------------------
'94 Brooklands Green Pearl/Black NSX
5-Speed

Originally posted by whs520:
... I seemed to have missed out on the header deal/special. Is it still going on? Please let me know who to contact or what to do...

See this thread for the original offer:
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000337.html

Contact Goodson Acura per the info listed in the opening post of the thread. You need to check with them to see if it is still available at that price.

I Grok NSX said:
Night 2: Removed the rear exhaust manifold. Ran into a little trouble with figuring out how to get the box end wrench over the Oxygen sensor. At first I tried removing the sensor with a crows foot but the foot just expanded to the point where it would slip over the nut part of the sensor. I was thinking I could just cut the wires and then solder them back when finished, but I decided to call my neighbor for a second opinion.

He showed me how to remove the connector without damaging the wires (easy when you know how!). With the connector removed, and using a box end, the sensor didn't put up much of a fight.

Started removal of some of the items to get the front manifold off. Should have everything removed by tomorrow. I'm glad the heat shields aren't going back on as they are the biggest pain of the project so far. Oh yeah, not a glitch with removing the manifold nuts. Easy as pie. I'll leave instructions on how to remove the connector from the sensor later.

I realize this post is quite old, but can someone give me the quick & dirty version of how to remove this connector?

Edit: Nevermind, I found another way.

Last edited:
White94 said:
I realize this post is quite old, but can someone give me the quick & dirty version of how to remove this connector?

Edit: Nevermind, I found another way.

Hi White94,

I am about to replace the headers too. Can you share with us the other way you found to remove the connectors? That would be very useful.
Thanks
Mike

classic cars said:
Hi White94,

I am about to replace the headers too. Can you share with us the other way you found to remove the connectors? That would be very useful.
Thanks
Mike

I used a standard oxygen sensor removal 6pt socket on the rear manifold. I used a 22mm open ended wrench on the forward manifold. I did not remove the connectors from either side.

Back to the garage, install in still in process.

As an aside, a sheared a bolt on one of the catalytic converters. Anyone have any easy way to fix this?

White94 said:
As an aside, a sheared a bolt on one of the catalytic converters. Anyone have any easy way to fix this?

The bolts are 'carriage bolts' which are held in place with a spline under the head. They can be pounded out with a punch and new ones can be pulled in using the threads of the bolt. Make sure to support the flange when the old bolt is being knocked out, a little penetrating oil soak before you start might help too as will removing the heat shields. Take the heat shield off before you go and get parts, on mine those bolts disintegrated when I took them off and needed to be replaced too.

Done!

FYI the part number for the bolt is 18176-P08-003
The nut that matches is 90212-SA5-003

I used PBBlaster a torch and a hammer and it popped right out! New bolts shoudl be here tomorrow, so all I have to do it bolt the cats and exhaust back on. Lots of changes since I put the car on stands last week, I can't wait to drive it!

NSX may not be the fastest, best handling, nicest riding, best looking, best braking car on the planet, but as a package, IT IS THE BEST! Man, I love this car....

Agreed!

classic cars said:
Hi White94,

Thanks
Mike

Heeheee...

Wow...forgot all about this in my post about header installation and the removal of the O2 probes. The "secret" to removing the O2 sensors is to remove the wire and use a box end or socket. And the real "secret" to removing the wire from the O2 sensor is .........remove the plastic divider where the wires run into the connector (sensor). Use a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the plastic divider and pull it straight out. Once the divider is out, you'll see how the wires are attached and, if I remember correctly, using a small flat screw driver, you can release the wires from the sensor.

Wish I had pictures of when I did it, but it was so easy, I didn't think to take any. Actually, I need to give all the credit to my next door neighbor (at that time) who taught me how to do that. By the way, he was a Honda Mechanic for 14 years and worked at Hayward Honda in the Bay Area. Thanks Dean!

Hope this helps out all you mechanics.

Color me stupid, but couldn't you disconnect the connector at the end away from the sensor, feed the wire thru a box end wrench, and drop the wrench over the O2 sensor? What am I missing?

TyraNSX said:
Color me stupid, but couldn't you disconnect the connector at the end away from the sensor, feed the wire thru a box end wrench, and drop the wrench over the O2 sensor? What am I missing?

A lot of times, the connector on O2 sensors are bigger than the size of box end wrench needed for the sensor. You can use a flare nut wrench or a O2 sensor removal specialty tool though. Or, if you know you're not going to use the O2 sensor again, just snip the wires and use a standard box end wrench.

J

(Beavis voice) Ooooooh. I see. Yeah.

Are all O2 sensors the same size nut so 1 of the special sockets fits all?

I guess so... never thought of it. I have one and when I bought it I just grabbed it off the shelf and it worked on every O2 sensor I've ever worked on.

(butthead voice) uuuhhhhh.... hehehhehheeh... you said nut

J

02#154 said:
A lot of times, the connector on O2 sensors are bigger than the size of box end wrench needed for the sensor. You can use a flare nut wrench or a O2 sensor removal specialty tool though. Or, if you know you're not going to use the O2 sensor again, just snip the wires and use a standard box end wrench.

J

Think twice about snipping the wires :) .. you will need to find heat resistant connectors/wire or splices to prevent melting....

Back