• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Heads up for future primers considering dealing with Angus.

JRZ

Contributing Member
So it's been over a month with my last dealings with Wil. I was going to just forget this whole ordeal but, I feel it's better to inform others just as I would wanted myself. To start, I've seen and heard great reviews of Angus. That's why I decided to buy his turbo system and have him install it since he would know best.
When I was putting together the kit with him picking out the components to upgrade, I decided on upgrading to a Precision. After quite a few exchanges, he talked me out of it and told me to get "his brand" turbo. I reluctantly went along with him boasting about how it's what he's using on his car and that it had a better warranty.
All was well until I took it to Richtuned for my tune. Just to clarify, I have asked Wil to tune it after the install but, he refused. I figured it was probably because I have a J series engine and he didn't have the skills to install an aftermarket computer to it. No biggie. So when Rich had the car on the dyno doing some light pulls, the exhaust started spilling out quite a bit of white smoke. We aborted the tune and Rich said that the turbo seals are most likely shot. I contacted Wil about an warranty exchange. He said no problem. Just send him the turbo and $350 for the exchange. He also said he had to send out the bad one before getting a new one about 3 weeks wait and suggest I buy another if I can't leave the car at the shop that long. I went ahead and told Rich to find me another turbo. New turbo came and Rich installed it and started the tune again. He couldn't get the turbo to spool any more than about 2psi??? He was stumped for a while as he had basically checked everything. Even installed the old turbo just to check. After a few days, I stopped by and in our chats, suggested that the intercooler might be clogged from the oil out of the bad turbo. He said that he doubt it but, there's nothing left to check and that he'll do it the next day.
Early the next day I get a text from Rich with a couple of pictures attached of the intercooler. One picture had a wad of cloth inside the intercooler! Needless to say, that was the cause of all my problems. I reach out to Wil to tell him our findings. He denied any chance of it being his mistake. I replied that he was the only one to touch that intercooler since he's the one who installed it. He kept on denying and said someone was playing games.
I would expect a good vendor to own up to a mistake that only they could of done and maybe waive my original warranty fee for my troubles or something. Nope. I ended up paying for a new turbo and more than that price to get a new bracket to fit it. He even called Richtune to see if all was true. Still nothing. Not even a sorry. I ended up telling him that I'm done deally with such a unprofessional business man that won't back up their work. He replied, "sounds good". That's the end.
Take my venting here for what it is. I gain nothing from Angus by writing this. This is my first bad review for any vendor. Originally bought his "spring clearance" kit for a bit over $6k. Spent more than double that from his nickle and diming tactics. And still had to buy another turbo and much more. His crappy turbo is a great paper weight. I haven't even yelled at him or anything yet. Been courteous and respectful the whole time. Can't say that I was treated the same. This is just looking out for my fellow Primers.

I’ve known mark(JRZ) for a while now. This guy is a humble individual who would always bite his tongue and never knock on other people. But I guess angus got to him this time. Don’t know angus, never worked with them but I’ve seen there products upfront and personally not WOW’d by their prices for what it is. That’s my own personal opinion which is irrelevant. But I can tell you guys what is relevant and you would be pissed off if you spent double $6k(I believe JRZ posted) and got this. You can decide from the picture. Sorry mark, I’m keeping this 946C8A9C-54C0-430B-81AD-BF4D28410E6D.jpg

Ok hang on, I gotta ask this question even though I am in no disagreement of the issue. But how the hell did you not see the bright teal colored babies shirt stuffed in there while installing the charge pipes?

I think he said Angus installed everything. And I presume that he took it straight to Rich to tune it without driving it since that would be the best thing to do (rather than trying to let the stock fuel maps try to manage all that new air).

Ok ,the plot thickens. How the fuck did Angus not see a teal colored baby shirt stuffed in there prior to installing the charge pipes?:eek:

So when Rich had the car on the dyno doing some light pulls, the exhaust started spilling out quite a bit of white smoke. We aborted the tune and Rich said that the turbo seals are most likely shot. .... New turbo came and Rich installed it and started the tune again. He couldn't get the turbo to spool any more than about 2psi???

Um, I think a plugged intercooler would have been immediately noticeable on the first dyno pull even doing light pulls.

Whoever Rich is, it sounds like when he removed the old turbo, he stuffed a special foreign material exclusion device (teal colored baby shirt as Jinks put it) in the intercooler to keep the intake clean just as any good mechanic would do. The problem is, it sounds like someone forgot to remove it when installing the replacement turbo.

Besides a defective turbo that was replaced, it doesn't sound like the blocked intercooler and wasted labor/tuning time is Angus' fault.

Having been through the install on this turbo kit, you would have to blind not to see something on the intercooler tip when putting the charge pipe on and installing it. Considering Wil has installed hundrerds of his own kits, doubt he would not notice a tshirt in his product, AND theoretically, what purpose would it serve him to put something in the intercooler on a brand new install? I agree with Mac Attack, the tuner would have noticed a clog like that instantly and think the shirt was stuffed in there during downtime waiting for the new turbo like most shop mechanics do.

Mac and Italian makes a lot of since. What I’m thinking is that the tuner (Rich) might of just loosened the pipes to get the turbo off and replace it with a new one. What gets me is, what’s in it for the tuner to take pictures of a t-shirt in the intercooler and send it to the owner or even let the owner know about it if it was his fault. The tuner gets paid regardless. It doesn’t make since if he gains nothing from this

I have no idea other than to save face perhaps. I see so many times that people are not accountable for their actions or flat out lie about it in order to appear as if they weren't wrong.

I'm not implying this is the case here, but I see so much of this that its just sad.

hmm I have heard some glowing reviews of Colonel Angus.... :biggrin:

So a brand new turbo kit just installed by Angus has a bad turbo and he charges $350 for an exchange. Not much of a warranty.

I have no idea other than to save face perhaps. I see so many times that people are not accountable for their actions or flat out lie about it in order to appear as if they weren't wrong.

I'm not implying this is the case here, but I see so much of this that its just sad.

i believe the shop and the tuner (Rich) are the same. But I’m quoting you because it’s funny you say that , I feel like that’s exactly what the Op (JRZ) is saying about Angus. Personally my thoughts on who is at fault is now a big confusion but still leaning towards angus. If he had just own up to the warranty of the turbo and take care of the $350 fee, I think we would have all respected the situation better and said “ look, angus backed his word on warranty. He sounds legit and took care of a bad situation not blaming anyone else and tried his best to make an irate customer happy. It can’t be him” .

Wait a second... The tuner said he did some "light pulls", and saw some smoke. Then after the tuner took apart the charge pipe and turbo, reinstalled everything, he couldn't get above 2psi???

So during the initial light pulls he got above 2psi to tune the car, but after he worked on the car, installed new turbo, something (t-shirt) blocked him from going higher in psi than the first pulls with a bad turbo? Seems to me the issue and cause of problem happened after the initial install...

Wait a second... The tuner said he did some "light pulls", and saw some smoke. Then after the tuner took apart the charge pipe and turbo, reinstalled everything, he couldn't get above 2psi???

So during the initial light pulls he got above 2psi to tune the car, but after he worked on the car, installed new turbo, something (t-shirt) blocked him from going higher in psi than the first pulls with a bad turbo? Seems to me the issue and cause of problem happened after the initial install...

Maybe but the shirt could have also got lodged during the first pull, making subsequent attempts not get above 2psi.

I can see where you are going at here if the story was exactly how you are describing. JRZ never mentioned the tuner (Rich) taking off the charge pipe, and did say that he couldn’t find out why the new turbo wasn’t spooling over 2psi and checking the intercooler for oil clogg might be the reason and was the last place they checked. So that’s the only reason why I’m giving the tuner the benefit of the doubt. I’m no turbo mechanic pro so that’s why going through this story I would have imagined the tuner loosening up the pipe just to replace the turbo knowing that the turbo was shot.

you might get a match with Clinton:tongue:

Back