• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Heads Up

Looks great Don!

If you were to modify the enclosure (smaller aperture) to cut off more of the surrounding area, would it be possible to reduce the projected image to this component as indicated below?

Attachments

• hud.jpg
    hud.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 3,732
Along the same line as Len's question, is it possible to adapt the Valentine 1 readout through this unit?

Thanks,
Charles

Can the display color be altered to match the OEM amber?

I am also interested due to the fact that i messed up the speedometer(10 mph faster than actual speed) during my indiglo gauge install. How will this unit be wired, to the OEM tackomter/spdter unit or the OEM harness wires? I'm asking because i don't want to get this unit if it reads 10 mph faster like my OEM does atm.

-Garrett

Lets see, Ill answer these the best I can ...... Im hoping Chuck will chime in as he really knows better.

As far as the simple install, I'm assuming this requires cutting or atleast splicing into factory wiring. How hard is it to get at the factory wires needed? (for example, can you do it by just going under the dash upside down or do you need to remove some of the under-dash leather panels?)

Instructions say to splice into the wires at the ECU. Chuck spliced into the wires inside the guage cluster so that tampering with the ecu or removing the rear panels was not necessary.

From the pics, it looks like it projects a large dark box that is on the windshield and much larger than the HUD reading. How visible is that box? I had a vehicle with HUD before and I don't remember seeing such a large darkened box around everything.

The large dark box you see in the pics is actually a film placed on the winshield for 1. better visibilty and 2. so you only see 1 display instead of 2, as the winshield is actually 2 pieces.

is it possible to get a picture from the front?

Coming right up. Pic #3 is a frontal shot. Ill get some more.

Will it read out any other gauge readings?

Will do boost and other readings, but not simultaneously and you will need a separate controller. Check this site

If you were to modify the enclosure (smaller aperture) to cut off more of the surrounding area, would it be possible to reduce the projected image to this component as indicated below?

Yes, trim the film to get the exact area you want. I havent done this yet, as I wanted to make sure the viewing angles were correct before making any other adjustments.

Along the same line as Len's question, is it possible to adapt the Valentine 1 readout through this unit?

Not that I know of. That would be awsome though.

Can the display color be altered to match the OEM amber?

nope only the blue color. I guess you could try putting an amber film over the unit, but cant tell you how that would work out.

I am also interested due to the fact that i messed up the speedometer(10 mph faster than actual speed) during my indiglo gauge install. How will this unit be wired, to the OEM tackomter/spdter unit or the OEM harness wires? I'm asking because i don't want to get this unit if it reads 10 mph faster like my OEM does atm.

It is connected through the wiring in the instrument panel, Assuming your problem of showing 10 mph over is a problem with the needle setting when you changed the guages, Im pretty sure you will get an accurate reading.

Another frontal shot

Front.JPG

just a thought, but would having the entire front wind shield tinted VERY VERY lightly alleviate the need to put just a small rectangular tinted piece on?

I dont know if that would be a good idea. if you look at pic #3, you can see part of the film in the pic. It has a reflective quality to it unlike window tint. I guess if you found something similar in material to the film, it could be done. But if it is THAT much of a concern, probably better off not putting the film on, and risk seeing the HUD double at certain angles.

I am in, if it comes in kilometers per hour. :D
I also want the trick Cover that Chuck created.

Don,

Please put me on that list, I am very interested in buying this ASAP.

thank you don for all the help, here is a list of possible buyers

1. Speedracer
2. Bilulan
3. NSX01
4. jadkar
5. Juejaimon
6. S D NSX
7.awsomr1
8. Prova4re

I might be interested too, but I have questions on the getting the dark box greatly reduced. Also, this price doesn't include the customer enclosure that was made for it right? How difficult is that and how much would that run? Instructions tips for install?

OK talked to Chuck, Good news and bad news.

Bad news:
Due to the cover being made of shaping material, custom fit, and the time it took to make it by sanding, Chuck needs the car and the unit to make the covers. He has discriminating taste, and as such, would prefer to make each one in the same way he manufactured mine to ensure a perfect fit and finish. So basically, he cannot make the cover unless he has the car and unit as it is not made form a mold, but sanded down into the way it was installed from a big block of shaping material.

Good news:
For anyone local or wanting to stop by his shop, he will be happy to make the cover and install the unit for you. Also, He said the wiring is easy, and anyone can do it by looking in the manual to see where and how the wires are laid out. Also a possiblity that your local stereo shop can do a similar job. Or you if you like it enough, you can mount it in its current form on top of your dash.

The DEFI unit itself exceeded my expectations, its very visible, and from what I can tell, very accurate, and right in the line of sight.

Seems to be alot of questions about the film area. I will eventually trim this filmed area down, but I have to say that even the slightest movement (changing channel on the stereo, Checking out a hottie, etc) will put the display out of your original viewing area, so it would be a good idea to trim as small an area as possible. Hope this helps. Thanks for all the replies.

update

1. Speedracer
2. Bilulan
3. NSX01
4. jadkar
5. Juejaimon
6. S D NSX
7.awsomr1
8. Prova4re
9. pixelhaus
10. Project13nsx

Last edited:
Very cool! I'm in for the group buy.
When do you think you will do that?

1. Speedracer
2. Bilulan
3. NSX01
4. jadkar
5. Juejaimon
6. S D NSX
7.awsomr1
8. Prova4re
9. pixelhaus
10. Project13nsx
11. b.gill

Here is some more info on what it can display.

Defi-Link Display VSD CONCEPT System.

Speed/Engine speed
Peak display
Special display

When the Defi-Link Display VSD CONCEPT is connected to the Defi-Link System.

Speed/Engine speed
Water temperature
Oil temperature
Exhaust temperature
Oil pressure
Fuel pressure
Auto warning
Tach warning
You would need extra sensors to do this.

They no longer make the Sports VSD, Boost VSD or Field Compass display's.

More info here.
http://www.defi-shop.com/product/concept/concept_top.html

Don,

I'm a little confused why your shop can’t shape these and then ship them out. Can't the cover be made and then lined up with an NSX maybe yours :) Then once that cover is perfect make all the rest to the same specs as that one. With the advent of interchangeable parts back in the early 1800s, like parts will fit together with other like parts. Meaning all NSX dashes should be extremely similar except for some older ones possibly being warped slightly from the sun, but it would be so slightly the customer could sand it to fit themselves. Heck don't we all deal with that problem with carbon fiber and FG body parts on our cars:)

I'm not trying to throw a wrench in anything, but if you remember I was handling the group buy for the Paddock custom exhaust systems back in December. Those guys made a custom Stainless exhaust completely hand fabricated without customer’s cars there!! They used my car a 1998, then a older 1993 and made sure the exhaust fit. Once it did, they designed a "jig" so each exhaust they made could be lined up. They made a whole bunch and sent them all over the world. That was an exhaust with complicated mandrel bends and custom flanges.

I really don't know what goes into the cover, but I can't believe it would be nearly as bad as a custom fit exhaust.

Anyway, what I am getting at is please let me know if your shop can make the cover as perfect as they can get it. Then if it doesn't fit exactly, I can dremmel it into place. I'm sure others would be happy with that idea as well.

I'm sure that the sale of the display is very much dependent of the sale of the custom cover. I would hate the electronics shop to lose the group buy because the cover can't be produced.

Please let me know if that sounds OK, or if you have another solution besides driving to Maryland. Oh one more thing…..how much does the cover cost?

Thanks,
John

John,

I hear ya. Im just telling you what Chuck told me. I think its just a combination of everything. I can tell you that the cover was about 99% labor and unlike an exhaust where a bending machine and welding is involved, the cover was hand sanded and sanded until it fit with no specific tools or mold. If you tried to make the exhaust and hand bend all the pipes, I can see that potentially having a fit issue unless the car was there and pipes were adjusted to fit at that time with the car there.

Top that on by having a fulltime installing job, and all the labor involved, and time it takes to answer questions, and limited hours in the day, and the possibility that a local shop can produce the same result, I can see his perspective.

Why not talk to a local install shop and see if there is anything they can do. Worth a shot right?

Oh well.....Maybe I'll have to take a ride down to Maryland, I've been wanting to check out your car for a while anyway :):):)

jlindy said:
From the pics, it looks like it projects a large dark box that is on the windshield and much larger than the HUD reading. How visible is that box? I had a vehicle with HUD before and I don't remember seeing such a large darkened box around everything.

That large box is not actually projected, all that is, is a square piece of film that comes w/ the kit to prevent the readout appearing in double vision since the windshield is made of 2-layer glass, you need that piece of film to prevent the double illusion upon reflection off the windshield. This is also why Don & Chuck decided to place the reaqdout to the side as opposed to the center, b/c the film is less intrusive there.

Charleysung, nice GP White you got there, hope we can all get together agian this summer. THe install is not at all difficult, but Chuck is a perfectionist & molded that custom mount himself out of bondo. If you look closely, I believe he also add two led bulbs which are probably the warning lights to a radar detector (K40)? Chuck is who yoyu'd want to to do something like this in the DC area, he can build the NSX w/ his eyes closed!

Back