• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hello all, considering an NSX. What should I be looking out for?

I'm seriously considering a first-gen NSX as a weekend\summer driver to supplement my daily driver (a 1993 Infiniti Q45, nearly stock). I've done some digging around to figure out what some of the things to watch out for are, and these are what I've come up with.

Snap rings
Clutch
Timing chain
Water pump

With first-gen Q45s there's a really common issue with them using plastic-backed timing chain guides - that's kind of the biggest issue to watch out for with those. I'm just wondering if there's any similar type of thing to watch out for with the first-gen NSX. I'm looking to spend $22,000-$29,000 or so. Any advice is very welcome. :smile:

My Q:
sig1.jpg

It has a timing belt, not a chain. Check the FAQ in the red bar at top of the page. Plenty of info in there. Also try a search within the new/prospective owner forum if you don't see what you're looking for in the FAQ. Good luck in your hunt.

TyraNSX said:
It has a timing belt, not a chain. Check the FAQ in the red bar at top of the page. Plenty of info in there. Also try a search within the new/prospective owner forum if you don't see what you're looking for in the FAQ. Good luck in your hunt.

<feels silly> Thanks, I missed the FAQ. Just got done going through most of it, got some really great info in there.

Watch out for the famous "perfect" or "near mint" condition when the mileage is anything but ridiculously low.

The quicker the seller is too negotiate the sales price, the more questions that I would be asking.

Look at the quality of the paint in sunlight and under "parking lot" lights at night to look for imperfections or evidence of a repaint.

A great sales price on a truly-good deal?: consider the mainenance that needs to be done...belts, hoses, timing belt, water pump, window regulator, tires, brakes etc...Add that to the price of the car.

And the longer you wait to buy one...meaning the more of them you look at, the chances that you will get a better car. Look...ask...learn!

And remember, it is worth a $300+/- plane ticket to go and look at the one you want vs. buying the one "down the street" that is more convenient.

Best of luck to you...

if your looking to spend 28k-29k you need to look no further than a 91-92 with 75000 to 85000 miles in good condition. if 22k is the number you might have to search your local salvage lot and find a nice rebuild. good luck in your search.

ryan

Back