• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hello, looking at possibly moving myself and the family to Portland

Seeking some advice and local knowledge about Portland.

I've been interviewing with a company out of Portland and possibly making the long haul from Austin to Portland.

Would love to get the skinny on Portland. Where to live, good schools for young children (5 and 2), etc. and living life in Portland. I've read a lot of websites on Portland as of late but hearing the pros and cons directly from someone that lives there would go a long way in my decision.

If I could call one of you that would be great or you could just chime in on this thread or PM me. In any event, I've lived in Austin for over 20 years and a change of setting would be great both personally and for the career.

Thank you,
Jose

Jose,

I lived in Seattle (on and off) for 10 years, but did drive thru Portland many times, and had friends there. Some live in the east side suburbs and some in the Washington side. I do believe Austin and Portland have similarities esp the creative mindset. The city does have a nice light rail system, and good beer.

I drove my NSX from Corpus to Seattle 9 years ago and drove up thru El Paso, to Ogden then Seattle, getting to The Dalles (which is ~100 miles east of Portland). It was a great drive, if you go that route.

Miner

Alas-NSX, I am local and can help with your questions. PM me with specific questions if you like and I will answer to my best. Let us know your family situation, kids what age etc. and then more of us can recommend. Are you going to work at Intel or Nike? :)

FWIW, my cousin (in a similar disposition as you, namely age/career/family-demographics) made the "move" to Pendleton-area of Oregon 10 years ago (after 15+ years in Austin), and life didn't skip a beat for them (for the most part). From all that he said, it was a very similar-but-different area from Austin (in a good way).

With that said, he's now back in Austin (somewhat recent move-back). Though, he's oft back to the PacNW for work/etc.

Back