• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help choosing a new exhaust.

Hey primers,
I have been all over previous forums and I still cannot make up my mind on which exhaust to choose.
Any comments or help would be ideal.

My car will soon be ctsc'd.
What I am looking for:
A low to high pitch exhaust which is more "quiet" them my taitec jgtc. I am getting older and while I love the scream of this current set up, it becomes more bothersome when I am just under normal street driving. It has a shitload of drone at 3500 rpm which goes away on throttle lift. Basically I am looking for a low rumble under 3500 rpm but something that really comes alive at 7000 rpm.

The ones I am looking into are:
ct gen 2- I hear this has the best flow for sc and quieter but I cannot find very good sound clips.
circuit werks- the sound of this exhaust is definitely under my most liked list and a bargain.
pride v2- sounds awesome under deceleration, but raspy and juvenile under throttle lift. Maybe it's not?

Thanks in advance.

All aftermarket exhausts will drone even just a little. I had Pride V2 on my first NSX and loved the sound and my neighbors would still talk to me. Plus Mark is a great guy to work with. However, You'll want as few bends as possible for forced induction and I've been told Prides Lightweight is good with forced induction. Though I've not heard it yet.

My current NSX had Angus AP-X exhaust when I bought it and I decided to keep the Angus exhaust when I installed my twin turbo kit. It's quiet at low RPM but when you get on it the sound is much louder without being over powering in the cockpit and isn't too raspy at speed. Forced induction will make the exhaust a bit quieter so I would suggest high flow cats which will also help the performance of your CTSC. As with Mark at Pride, Wes at Angus is great to work with. I've had a lot of positive comments on the sound of both exhausts from my Lambo and Ferrari friends. Here's a picture of my current setup with the Angus exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 840
I have the RM exhaust and get 0 drone. Very quiet with a nice rumble. With test pipes on it sounds perfect IMO. Without test pipes, the CTSC will definitely over power the exhaust note.

Thanks. Unfortunately the cats are staying put. I live in California and that is why I am going ctsc rather then tt.
The angus exhaust looks nice though I am on the fence about all those v-band clamps.
The sounds clips that Caroline nsx has of the cw exhaust sounds very nice. Any sound clips of the angus?

I have the Angus also. Great exhaust. I love the sound.
As far as the v bands. Take a look at any semi truck and you will see that they use vbanda with out any issues.
I havent had any leaking or issues with my exhaust.
Hope that helps and good luck on your search. Will has been great to work with.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a sound clip from my iphone of my car with the exhaust newly fitted. If you want to hear it. Just pm me your phone # and i'll send it. Unfortunately no drive by sound clips.

Here a quick in-car video of my car with the Downforce intake scoop, Topspeed headers, stock cats, and the GT-One N1 catback. I love the sound...not too loud or drony with the stock cats and has a pretty throaty sound.

Here's a picture of what it looks like on the car...

15388718678_4a9c5ffb33_b.jpg

Also other pictures of this exhaust here...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/75419-Unofficial-GT-One-Exhaust-thread

Last edited:
That sounds nice. My taitec jgtc is like 4 times louder. The jgtc though at 7000 rpm, sounds like a wet dream. Just too unbearable under normal rpm.

I believe most rasp issues are from losing Cats to test pipes. If your maintaining stock cats then you may not have such a rasp issue. On another note, I can't see any problems with band clamps.

I've gone from Stock, Parallel twin, HKS, GTLW, open header, and now my custom valvetronic exhaust.

The only one that didn't drone was the HKS and obviously stock. The GTLW droned like crazy but sounded good. I built my own to have the best of both worlds since the valves help control the drone but can also open up to bypass the cats and run wide open.

I did a lot of research on exhausts.

there is only one consistent fact about all types of exhaust. the bigger the actual muffler the less drone you will have.

I had a custom made exhaust which had a huge muffler and it was quiet as stock. pretty boring but probably pretty good flowing. The DF intake scoop was like 10 times louder than the exhaust itself.

Bernhard

Yes indeed, that is what I would believe. More muffler means more sound deadning materials. Which is why I think I may choose either the ct gen 2 or the cw from pride. If I miss the jgtc I can always put it back on.
Thanks for the input.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the v band clamps on the angus kit, I am not worried of leakage as I know all the hype behind them. My concern on them was why are they even necessary? I see like four or five of them on there. That means more welds,high cost yes?
maybe someone can explain why a cat back exhaust even has these when they still bolt to the cats?

- - - Updated - - -

Correction, 3 v band clamps.

Another big thumbs up for Will's AP-X Angus exhaust. Look closer at the photo posted above - there is only 1 v-band clamp used to secure the middle section of the 2 Y-Pipes where they merge into an X. The mufflers themselves secure to the X pipe with conventional heavy duty accu-seal muffler clamps. if you use an impact wrench to tighten the 2 conventional clamps you shouldn't get any leaks. I've had no issues or problems with the v-band clamp. When you look at the system up close you can understand why the v-band was used.

I like the modularity of the system, it makes changing parts out very easy, e.g. if you damage a muffler or want to change mufflers you don't need to cut apart the system.

Here's some photos of my install (pre/post) some years ago.

DSC_2150.jpgDSC_2147.jpg

That looks like some high quality shit right there brother. Are the mufflers available to but separately?
I may need to reconsider.:confused:

- - - Updated - - -

To " buy" separately. God damn these apple products and spell check!

Does the Taitec JGTC work with the Taitec Tip silencers?
I installed them on my SOS Endura Lite and it removed the drone and make it much more bearable for everyday driving. I was super close to selling my exhaust but this simple modification saved me a ton.
DSC02553.JPG

Here's mine straight (no silencers)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w3Z-WDYBQj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here it is again with the silencers installed
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oFD6-nuwL_c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Pride V2 hands down.

I had almost all of the exhausts

Pride V1 was to throaty Comptech was to loud, SOS was similar to Comtech, and the others I have heard and driven
and none sound as good as Pride V2. it has no drone, and when you want people to look just give it some gas and it throats like you want.
and price isn't that bad Mark Is awesome

I'd really like the v2 as well. Though my 91 will be ctsc next week so I have seen some posts say less bends is better but then again I have seen Dyno charts showing only a very slim 5-8 hp loss with v2.

I'd really like the v2 as well. Though my 91 will be ctsc next week so I have seen some posts say less bends is better but then again I have seen Dyno charts showing only a very slim 5-8 hp loss with v2.

V2 along with others like it GT-One's versions are not really designed for real HP gains. Purely exotic sound. Mark does have his Circuit werks version that very likely out flows the V2.

Anyone here have the circuit werks exhaust?

The ctsc will overpower a comptech gen2. You will barely hear it. The v2 sounds good and you will hear it. Mine drowned around 2300 rpm. I have the jgtc parallel exit and it's perfect, but it is loud. I have stock cats.

The ctsc will overpower a comptech gen2. You will barely hear it. The v2 sounds good and you will hear it. Mine drowned around 2300 rpm. I have the jgtc parallel exit and it's perfect, but it is loud. I have stock cats.

Netviper, I have the same exhaust. Man I love it! But it drones like Afghanistan at 3k. Going off your reply it seems best to wait and experience the noise produced by the ctsc prior to replacement? I drop the car off to Shad Saturday.

Netviper, I have the same exhaust. Man I love it! But it drones like Afghanistan at 3k. Going off your reply it seems best to wait and experience the noise produced by the ctsc prior to replacement? I drop the car off to Shad Saturday.

That's what I would suggest. I don't think there are a lot of exhausts that you will hear over the sc. Mine drones a little but not much. Nothing like a gt lightweight.

That's what I would suggest. I don't think there are a lot of exhausts that you will hear over the sc. Mine drones a little but not much. Nothing like a gt lightweight.
Thanks! This was the confirmation I was looking for. Good looking out and sharing your own experience.

- - - Updated - - -

A quick note to add, my jgtc when I bought the car had enormous 5" coffee can tips on it as seen in my before and after posts. I cut them off and welded on 4" double wall manga flow tips which I am sure contributed to the heavy drone. I also had to weld on the hangers therefore the exhaust is not perfectly straight. I had just bought the welder and was playing with it so the welds are definitely unprofessional, but hey you gotta learn somehow! Besides It was a work expense:biggrin: the welder that is.

All this talk about drone on a gt light weight is bs. I doesn't matter anyway because you can no longer buy them. However I have owned 4 gt lightweights on three different nsx's 93,97,05 and no drone. (Supercharged and not superchaged) it is the best sounding nsx exhaust period

All this talk about drone on a gt light weight is bs. I doesn't matter anyway because you can no longer buy them. However I have owned 4 gt lightweights on three different nsx's 93,97,05 and no drone. (Supercharged and not superchaged) it is the best sounding nsx exhaust period

If it is bs why do so many people complain? I've heard several of them and owned one and they ALL droned. In fact, a friend who got one said his wife wouldn't ride in the car anymore because it droned so much. But yeah we are all making it up.

Back