• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help...I'm buying my first NSX and I smell a rat

Let me just first say how awesome NSXPRIME.com is. What a wealth of information. I need some more help from you guys though. I am going to look at a car next week and there are some issues to clear up. First, it is a 1991 with 25k miles for $32k. He is only the second owner. Great, right? The seller says there is a mistake on the CarFax report stating a roll back of the odemeter. He swears that he has sufficent maintenence record to prove this. Is it possible that CarFax screwed up? If so, can it be rectified through CarFax? He has replaced the cluth already...isn't it a bit soon for 25k miles? And lastly, the car is within "snap ring" range...I don't even know what this means. How terrible is this "snap ring" thing. What do I ask to see if he has fixed it? I want to make the right decision for my first BIG toy. Should I run away, and look elsewhere? Or what?

Thanks

I agree with them all. If you have that many questions and issues with it then pass on it. You'll be forever asking yourself questions.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

I'm in the market for an NSX as well. So far, I've been looking for the past 7 weeks. All the guys I've talked to have said...patience, patience, patience. It can only reward you. So, I've taken my loan out and so now it just sits there while I look and wait. Good Luck!!!

Originally posted by NSXhopeful:
I'm in the market for an NSX as well. So far, I've been looking for the past 7 weeks. All the guys I've talked to have said...patience, patience, patience. It can only reward you. So, I've taken my loan out and so now it just sits there while I look and wait. Good Luck!!!

Lets say you borrowed 30k to buy the NSX. Instead of it just sitting you did this:

Bought 30k worth of IBM on Oct. 9th at around 55, ~ 545 shares. Then sold them on Friday the 18th at 74. You would now have $40,355, it would be like getting a free super charger.
biggrin.gif

Or if the stock market did the opposite you would be paying back a loan and have 0 to show for it.

Wait for the car. Don't play games with your money.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by 92NSX:
Or if the stock market did the opposite you would be paying back a loan and have 0 to show for it.

Wait for the car. Don't play games with your money.

If 54 is the year low for IBM, 55 was a pretty safe bet on a blue chip company like IBM.

I wouldn't avoid snap ring cars for that reason alone. It's possible to live with it and just be aware of the symptoms that it needs repairing (as noted in the FAQ).

This car doesn't sound right for other reasons, not the snap ring. At least he knew, and was willing to tell you, that it was in the range...

Back