• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help - Mouse stuck in HP all-in-one printer

Okay - this is a real. Finally figured out why our cat was watching the printer when I woke up this morning. Seems there is a mouse stuck under the fuser (?), metal bar thing at the front of the printer. It is still alive and I don't want to kill it or to leave it to starve to death/die of thirst. I brought the printer outside to work on it so when it was free it wouldn't be running around the house. I just don't know how to remove the piece that looks like it needs to be remove so mousey can get away.

Here's a picture.

IMG_0346[1].jpg

And yes, I know that 80% of you are saying, "what the f----. Just kill the thing". I'm just not in to killing things. I even take stink bugs outside for those of you that know what they are.

Any ideas from those who are a bit more handy with printers than me.

I guess I should revise the 80% to around 95%. Okay, this post is for the 5% that are not cracking up about this. I hope a few of you are techies.

Sorry the pic is upside down. Guess I took it with the phone upside down. Wasn't sure how to upright it.

The cat has been trying all morning to get it. She couldn't reach it. I was fine with her killing it, just not me.
IMG_0339[1].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I am really looking for a way to extricate it. If anyone does know how to remove the part of the printer shown in pic, that might help.
IMG_0347[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0347[1].jpg
    IMG_0347[1].jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D4HqI1s8Xgs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was TOTALLY going to post that same movie clip.

In all seriousness, I would suggest the following:

1. Post the exact brand/model of the printer and someone can probably find some tech info on how to take it apart (or you can google for that info on your own)
2. A prybar will probably crack it open, but then of course you will not have a printer.
3. Smear peanut butter on something near the mouse on the printer to add extra encouragement (if you cat wasn't enough).
4. I assume you have tried powering it on? That might get the gears going in a way that will allow mr. mouse to get the heck outa there.

It's probably pooped and peed in the printer. I'd probably just dispose of it somehow.

Or take it to the Geek Squad.

It isn't that it doesn't want to come out; it is physically caught in one of the rollers. By its head. That's why in the pic its head is up (when the pic is turned the right way that is).
Printer and mouse are outside. Taking it to the Geek Squad would be worth it just to see their faces. And it did poop on the papers that were in the paper tray. Potential pee as well, but not so familar with mouse piss.

HP All-In-One J6400 Printer. If you turn the other wonderful photo I attached upright, the light colored part is what I think I need to remove.

I did google this and even asked one of the techy sites, but they didn't know how to fix mechanical problems with the printer. :eek:

If its a male mouse it may be enticed to come out if you show him this........

Saitek_pinkmouse.jpg

Whahhhhhh

I just want my printer back. I'm going to go see if maybe a snake came out of hibernation because it could smell roasting mouse and ate the damn thing.

Well, at least now we know HP printers are decent mousetraps, if nothing else. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Whahhhhhh

I just want my printer back. I'm going to go see if maybe a snake came out of hibernation because it could smell roasting mouse and ate the damn thing.
Hmm, a snake stuck in a printer would also be an entertaining thread. :biggrin:

I would guess you have a USB printer which attracted a USB mouse. Unless you spilled cereal in the printer and attracted a serial mouse. This shatters another myth: that the photosmart has heads in the cartridges - not in the printer.

These guys may be able to help you. I think they once found a mouse in a beer bottle. LOL.

bobanddoug1.jpg

Carla I think most likely it will be the mouse that survives or the printer. You know me, I am a softie for animals so I would probably destroy my printer to save it. And if it died while I was trying to, I wouldn't care, at least I tried. I think you need to get the printer to someone handy with tools. I'd do it for you if I was there. You probably don't have a ton of time left. I wouldn't worry about the printer, they are so cheap these days, maybe god just wanted you to get a new printer. LOL...

You can probably take it to any mechanic and they can get it out. Just requires some tools and a handy guy. Costco has new printers with new ink for $50.

Let me know how the adventure goes.

It's only a few hours drive from NJ to MA. Get in your NSX and drive the printer to Dave. I'm sure he'll buy you a new printer if he can save the mouse.
404.gif
:sorrow:

This is too much - one of the funniest threads I've ever seen on Prime!! I feel your pain (sort of..) but you guys crack me up :biggrin: Good luck!! Assuming you get him out alive, don't let him near your NSX !!!!

Back