• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help on going true keyless

hi all. was wondering if anyone has gone with stardrive or "2 go keyless" with thier nsx. i want my old nsx to be like a new car witlh all the options. kind of like the lexuses. thanks.

It so funny people think that that option is new, they had push start button on cars back in the 50's

it got old and now its back.

its like bell bottom jeans, old now its back.

and ford thinks this new Voice activated radio etc. and now Navi.. yikes look out honda had Navi in the 80's and 90's

usually these options are standard on Imports, and take 10-15 years for anything american to get it. LOL

I don't think they're talking about that Shawn. True keyless means no key is required in the ignition, you just need to have your key chain or whatever with you.

Installed this a few months ago myself:
http://www.advancedkeys.com/

Works great. I will be disabling my steering lock so I will have a truly keyless set up. Honda's steering lock is a joke. I will also be putting in quick release steering wheel/lock combo, so if I'm going to be parked somewhere far from my car where there's not many people/foot traffic around, I'll use them. Might also look into customizing a manual steering lock somehow as well.

Last edited:
What does steering lock have to do with keyless?

What does steering lock have to do with keyless?

If you do not put the key in the ignition and turn to unlock the steering, you can not steer the car. Or, as mentioned, to modify to disable/remove the factory steering lock to use a keyless system.

If you do not put the key in the ignition and turn to unlock the steering, you can not steer the car. Or, as mentioned, to modify to disable/remove the factory steering lock to use a keyless system.

Oh yeah, that might pose a problem. Ha!

How do you disable the wheel lock?

Oh yeah, that might pose a problem. Ha!

How do you disable the wheel lock?

If I remember correctly, the ignition tumbler actuates a pin that locks into the steering column. If you remove the pin and/or the complete key tumbler, you should be able to get it to work.

Ditto,
So it's truly keyless by not having to stick the key in the ignition at all. So basically walk towards car, doors unlock. Sit in and hit the push button, and you're off. Don't forget your seat belt. Didn't touch any keys or anything. New cars have electronic steering locks that automatically disengage when the fob is detected.

If I remember correctly, the ignition tumbler actuates a pin that locks into the steering column. If you remove the pin and/or the complete key tumbler, you should be able to get it to work.

And VRooM's got the right answer again. There is a pin you would have to remove. They actually show you how to get at it and remove it in the factory service manual.

Last edited:
What about the fuel pump? It's not priming the entire time your sitting in the car, right? I mean, if you just want to sit and listen to the radio with the engine off. What tells the pump not to run?

Last edited:
What about the fuel pump? It's not priming the entire time your sitting in the car, right? I mean, if you just want to sit and listen to the radio with the engine off. What tells the pump not to run?

Oh, for my system when you get in the car, power isn't engaged. When you hit the push button once it turns on the accessory power, then hit it again it turns on to ignition 2. Hit it again and it turns off. To start the car you have to depress the brake pedal, then push the button.

Also, your fuel pump only primes for a couple of seconds when you turn the power on the car initially. It doesn't keep priming if your power is on. ECU tells it not to prime.

Last edited:
Dumb question here; what if your key fob's battery dies? What next?

Not a dumb question. The kit I have comes with two fobs. They are actually cards, that are like the size of a credit card but is somewhat thick, about a quarter of an inch? So if one dies you have a back up. The system warns you if the fob is running low on battery and needs to be replaced.

If you're out somewhere and not near home to grab the second fob you can be screwed, but the kit also comes with a bypass card, the exact size of a credit card, that a transponder can read, so you can carry that in your wallet. The transponder is mounted by the windshield so you just place the bypass card against the windshield in that area and the doors will unlock and you can start the car. You should also still carry your key with you in case as well. The car won't start if it can't detect the fob or the bypass card, so in case of both failures as long as I can get in the car, I've wired a hidden switch which allows me to disable the system all together as if it was never installed and start my car with the key as usual. That's why I still carry my key along with my house keys.

Last edited:
So how difficult are these to install?

So how difficult are these to install?

It really depends. If you are are a really DIY type of guy should be fairly simple. If you have installed car alarms before should be really easy. I've never installed car alarms before, but have installed car stereos and amplifiers and it was fairly simple. Hard part was trying to connect some wires as the NSX is really tight to work on. It took me a bit of time though because I connected everything up roughly to make sure it worked and re-did it again properly: cut the wires to length, made proper connections, etc. The hardest part for me was to make everything neat with all the wires and finding a good place to mount the modules. If you have a hard time looking at an install manual for a car stereo, I suggest you not attempt it.

The kit I bought had the keyless entry, and push button start. If you just want to install the keyless entry only system it's easier with less wires to run. If you want to add the push button starter, it's quite a bit more work but doable. Imo, push button starters are stupid if you still have to put your key in the ignition and turn it to power on the car before you can press the button to start it. Might as well just turn the key one more time and crank it to start.

I'm gonna have a tough time finding a place for the alarm module when I attempt to install an alarm. lol.

Last edited:
how did you wire in the switch to have the key start the car making the keyless entry wasnt there. thanks

I just added an on/off rocker switch that you can find at any automotive store between the battery power and the module and hid the switch somewhere.

Well, keyless start technology is certainly cool or else manufacturers like Mercedes won't offer them as options.

However, I think Advanced Keys took it one step too far by strictly letting the car unlock when the Access Key is near and lock when far with no compromise. Call me old fashioned but every so often, I do like to pull the car handle after locking with the remote to see if it is firmly locked. With Advanced Keys, I won't have that option because with me right next to the car having the Access Key in my pocket, the car will stay forever unlocked. In their website, I don't seem to find an option where one can switch off an Access Key :confused:

In fact, Advanced Keys probably took it one step backwards by not allowing one to remotely lock or unlock his/her car (no wonder they don't name the company Advanced Keyless Remote).

Maybe I will become a believer in the years to come when they put more thoughts into this but for now, I only find my peace of mind when seeing the Door Lock Pulls goes down or Signal Lights' blinks at my command at a push of a button.

With just keyless start alone, I can totally live with starting a car without the car key in the ignition.

Last edited:
Well, keyless start technology is certainly cool or else manufacturers like Mercedes won't offer them as options.

However, I think Advanced Keys took it one step too far by strictly letting the car unlock when the Access Key is near and lock when far with no compromise. Call me old fashioned but every so often, I do like to pull the car handle after locking with the remote to see if it is firmly locked. With Advanced Keys, I won't have that option because with me right next to the car having the Access Key in my pocket, the car will stay forever unlocked. In their website, I don't seem to find an option where one can switch off an Access Key :confused:

In fact, Advanced Keys probably took it one step backwards by not allowing one to remotely lock or unlock his/her car (no wonder they don't name the company Advanced Keyless Remote).

Maybe I will become a believer in the years to come when they put more thoughts into this but for now, I only find my peace of mind when seeing the Door Lock Pulls goes down or Signal Lights' blinks at my command at a push of a button.

With just keyless start alone, I can totally live with starting a car without the car key in the ignition.

The parking lights do flash when it arms and disarms and the horn honks and tells you. Or you could hook it up to a siren. I tested it multiple times and no problems. And you don't have to step very far for it to disarm. Well within range where you van here the power locks go down.

I had a compustar alarm with the auto lock feature where you can choose to have it on or not. But I found it too finicky as it would work and sometimes not and sometimes disarm when I wasn't even that close to the car so I disabled the option. You do have confirmation from the remote, but it was annoying. The advance keys doesn't have any issue so far for me. I'm quite happy with it.

I do agree that an option to override it manually would be nice. I know that you can still use the oem fob to lock or unlock the car but can't remember if it will trip the advanced keys alarm output. I'll try it out and see. If it doesn't, then you can use that as the manual overide.

I've actually decided to disable the lock and unlock feature and also install a compustar alarm on the car and use the compustar fob to control the locks when I arm and disarm. If I need to manually disarm and arm a car might as well have it control the locks.

I installed the advanced Key system too. If the system is unable to lock the doors as you walk awy, the horn will beep 2 short times to warn you until you wak back into range or close all the doors so the system can arm. it also includes a SIMPLE alarm that sounds the horn and flashes the lights (similar to the factory alarm) if the system is unlocked without the fob being present.

It also includes a starter kill switch that is activated if the alarm is triggered.

Last edited:

Vrooom have you done this? Ia m surprised if you haven't, but I'd like to know why if you haven't.

Thought about it at one time. I wanted a blue tooth system that I could use a fob and/or my phone to operate (open trunk etc). I was told the RFID units can be "spoofed" and re-transmitted to get into your car.

OK guys I know this is an older post but I'm trying to add this advanced keyless system to my car and the shop is telling me it won't disarm the after market alarm when I walk up to the car. I want the alarm for the extra interior and exterior protection. I know I could have both of them but would have yo disarm the alarm with its fob before could use the keyless system so kind of defeats the purpose. My question is has anyone made this work with a after market alarm where when you walk up the keyless system unlocks the doors and turnes off the after market alarm? Any help would be appreciated.

What alarm do you have? Perhaps you shouldn't go with advanced keys complete system. If you have a DEI product with a D2D port, using directeds PKE module will give you a passive keyless system. I would then just purchase advance keys standalone push start system AK-PSB05 and adapt it to the DEI alarm with the PKE module.

Back