• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help Please.... spilled motor oil

Help Please....

Okay heres the problem, my dad spilled motor oil on my car and I can't seem to be able to fully wash it all off. There are still traces of it over the car. Is there a way I can completely wash/clean off the oil?

thanx a lot guys

-paul

I'd go for a good wash with Dawn. You'll have to rewax though...

Where on the car is it?

My dad place the bottle on the roof of the car, left it and then turned around to grab it and knocked it over spilling onto the trunk,windshields, and side door areas.:(

Paint Prep

Try Acrysol or another paint prep product.

That sucks!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would use the solvent KGP told you about. I don't know if I would want to let it sit on there until the solvent got here though, so I'd probably hit it again with the Dawn THICK and scrub the car with a clean MF towel once you have gotten the dirt off (no scratching that way).

I would also check into Simple Green. I've used it to clean up oil before and it works great. I've also used it for years on solaris silver rims and it did no harm. That being said, I have never used it on the body. Call them and ask if it is paint safe.

Good luck getting it off - don't forget the nooks & crannies!

White94 said:
That sucks!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would use the solvent KGP told you about. I don't know if I would want to let it sit on there until the solvent got here though, so I'd probably hit it again with the Dawn THICK and scrub the <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A> with a clean MF towel once you have gotten the dirt off (no scratching that way).

I would also check into Simple Green. I've used it to clean up oil before and it works great. I've also used it for years on solaris silver rims and it did no harm. That being said, I have never used it on the body. Call them and ask if it is paint safe.

Good luck getting it off - don't forget the nooks & crannies!

Simple Green is paint safe and will cut through that oil. Just make sure to cut the simple green 4:1 or more. Don't use it straight. You can use the "consumer" non-concentrate formula if you wish...that should work ok.

KGPs recommendation is another option but as mentioned, you'd have to wait quite a while.

Brian2by2 said:

KGPs recommendation is another option but as mentioned, you'd have to wait quite a while.
Any automotive paint supply shop will have something similar to Acrysol. Just tell them you want some paint prep solvent to remove all the contaminants on the paint.

I take it that this was un-used motor oil?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
KGP yes it was unused motor oil.

I did try to wash it off with a degreaser similar to simple green, but maybe i diluted it too much? because there's still left over residue.

Update:

yesterday i rewashed my car first with degreaser and then with dawn and noticed that the oil was removed. so i spent all of last nite zaino'ing my car:D

thank you all for your advice and help

DetailersParadise said:
Are you sure it is left over residue? The products recommended will strip any wax you have on the car and give the appearance that the oil is still there.

yeah i'm sure that it was left over oil because whenever I sprayed water you could see a thin line of oil washing away...

Smack my dad??? :eek: I completely agree with smokey your never to old to get smacked by your dad!:p

besides as much as it pains me to say this; It's just a car.;)

Back