• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help: Power Steering Too Light and Vague?

I have been looking into buying a used NSX. I currently have a 2001 Porsche Boxster S with 14k miles. I just test drove a 2001 NSX today with 12k miles. The car was amazing: The looks, shifter, clutch, seating position, interior quality, exhaust sound, brakes all were better than my Boxster S. However, I felt that the steering was way too light. I felt like it was light and very vague. It felt like there was a lot of play in the steering wheel before the wheels even turned. I have read that the power steering turns off after 35 mph. But it still felt light and not nearly as communicative as the Porsches. I felt unstable at speed. It may be that I was assuming the steering was light at speed because it felt so light under 35 mph. I want to buy a NSX but the steering is going to drive me crazy after being used to the Porsches. Here are my questions:

1) Does the power steering really turn off after 35mph?

2) Is there a way to completely turn off power steering on a post 97 car (I have read that if there is a fault in the system the EPS will turn off. I might prefer to keep it off all the time.)

3) It felt like I had to turn the steering wheel much more than in my Boxster to get the same turning radius. I mostly noticed this in the parking lot. Is the steering ratio high relative to the Boxsters?

The 2001 NSX had 4 new tires and I believe they were OEM's so don't think tires were the issue. I don't know if it was an alignment issue. Someone tell me what I am missing. I really want this car but was completely unhappy with the steering responsiveness. Maybe I was so shocked at the lightness of the steering at low speeds that I assumed it was also light at higher speeds. I will probably go test drive another NSX without power steering to see what the difference is. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you this is a great forum!

nsx rg said:
3) It felt like I had to turn the steering wheel much more than in my Boxster to get the same turning radius. I mostly noticed this in the parking lot. Is the steering ratio high relative to the Boxsters?

Your answer is #3.

I just got a 2003 NSX in June. My previous car had been a Toyota MR2 Spyder. I'm not sure if you ever drove a Spyder before, but it probably has the tightest steering ratio of any car on the market.

When I test drove the NSX, I noticed this immediately. But as you noted above, everything else was so great, that I got it anyway. The first couple weeks was an adjusting period. Not just to the steering, but to the power (the Spyder is very slow in comparison) and the heavy clutch (the Spyder clutch is so light compared to the NSX that I kept stalling on hills). I can honestly say that after about 6 weeks of driving the NSX, I am totally adjusted to both the steering and the clutch.

The steering isn't really "vague" -- it has excellent feel. The ratio is just slower meaning that you have to turn the wheel more to accomplish the same turn. This is something you will get used to in time. I wouldn't let it scare you from buying a NSX.

Let's start with the objective stuff and work down to subjective.

First, should be virtually no "play" in the steering on any NSX. If there was considerable play in the wheel before it started turning the wheels, something is wrong with the car.

As Eric5273 mentioned, the steering ratio on the NSX is slower than many cars. This is because the car is designed to be driven at (not just capable of achieving) high speeds. You probably don't want a fast ratio when you're going 140 MPH. Additionally, the NSX has a relatively long wheelbase, which makes for a larger turning circle than a shorter wheelbase car like the Boxster.

Yes, the power assist cuts out at 35MPH.

Yes, you can permanently disable the power assist if you want.

As for whether the steering feels vague, that is of course a matter of opinion, but one I have almost never heard with regards to either the manual or power steering NSX. Since you mentioned there was a lot of play in the wheel, I suspect there was something wrong with the car you were driving.

Lud: are you sure the power steering turns off above 35 mph at all models? In a NSX brochure here it says the PS is "speed related" - so I understand that the electric power decreases with higher speeds and that's what I feel over the whole speed range up to 280 km/h.

A friend from our club with a '91 model (w/o PS) drove mine ('98) on the track (nearly always above 35 mph) and said my steering wheel felt much lighter during turn ins and that he needs more muscle power with his one (same tires). Or are you right and does this just mean that the steering ratio in his car is different?

If so the starter of this thread should go for a '91 model...

NSX-Racer,

Yes, I am certain EPS stops all electric assist above some low speed which I think is around 35MPH. If it's not actually 35MPH it's in the neighborhood.

However, as you have experienced, a '95+ manual transmission car will still feel different than a 1991 manual transmission car at higher speeds when the electric assist has stopped. This is indeed because the steering ratio is different (and variable). See http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/eps.htm

You can confirm this by pulling the fuse on your '98 and driving it back-to-back with a '91. Keep in mind that differences in alignment, tires and tire pressure can greatly influence how heavy the steering feels.

The original manual steering provides greater driver feedback compared to the current power steering units. I especially like how the steering stiffens up on moderate cornering speeds. Steering feel and feedback is dramatically reduced on the newer NSX. I think the power assist dampens the feel. That's too bad because the original setup was much more in line with the character of the car by keeping the drive connected to the asphalt and the front wheels.

Has someone actually disconnected the fuse on newer units and drive it like that? I know that the ratios are different, but does it still retain the same feel of the 91 Manual?

Back