• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HELP! Seeking advice for FI engine rebuild

Well the time has come to rebuild my 3.0L. I have suffered two broken pistons due to the split second box's inability to control my fuel/timing safely. This is a BBSC/NOVI1000 configured car. My goal is to have a car that is track RELIABLE and can produce around 400rwhp. I am planning to use JE forged 9.5:1 pistons and AEM for the engine management. Upgrading to billet oil pump gears is a must as well. I'm seeking input/feedback regarding the configuration that will best meet the above mentioned criteria. Should I use a deck plate and sleeves? I've heard some have had cooling issues by going this route. I know I need to upgrade the fuel supply system ie pump & regulator. I need to order the parts asap as my car is already torn down and in the shop. Please be as specific as possible, even part #'s and approximate cost would be great. I also need to determine exactly what services to have the machine shop do. I plan to have the rotating assembly balanced. What else is advisable? I welcome and appreciate all input especially from those who have had personal experience with their own cars.
Scott

Was this the SS1 or SS2 box?

Millage since install?

Boy - at this point you might want to check with FactorX on a turbo motor unless you have some arrangement with MB. The only reason I say this is I think they have "pre configured" turbo ready motors and will completely referb your engine for the next turbo install (at least that is what I thought I understood the program to be).

Good luck - I know I would be dissapointed if this happened to me (regardless on the full reasons why).

Nick,
Thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate it. The SS box was gen 1 and mileage since install is not that much...perhaps 2-3k. I admit to finding the latest info on the FactorX kits to be inoxicating to say the least. If I was starting all over again I'd probably consider it after a considerable period had passed with actual customer cars logging actual track hours and reporting no reliability issues. At this point I think it's still a little early in the game for that setup. I don't want to step out of one "semi-beta"(originally) setup and into another learning curve.

matteni said:

Boy - at this point you might want to check with FactorX on a turbo motor unless you have some arrangement with MB. The only reason I say this is I think they have "pre configured" turbo ready motors

They have short blocks configured (sleeves, pistons, balancing, etc.), not the entire motor. However, I'm not sure any are even available at the moment. I know they used one for a pet Frankenstein project they are doing.

matteni said:
Boy - at this point you might want to check with FactorX on a turbo motor unless you have some arrangement with MB.

Arrangement? Oh, you mean getting re-imbursed for a re-build! I have a nice collection of documents you could borrow, but I'm not sure they will help much.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Darton Pro Sleeves that Woody mentioned? If so, what boost levels are you running and what are you using for fuel/timing control. Also, what compression ratio are you running and what head gasket are you using? TIA

9.5:1 with 10.5 lb boost. stock gasket and head bolts. ssbb #2

9.5:1 JE pistons, 11.7 PSI but will probably drop to 10 PSI, factory gasket and bolts, Comptech oil pump gears, no sleeves nor deck, SS-2, daily driver.....20k miles since BBSC installed

Andy, For what years is it possible to put aftermarket forged pistons in without sleeves?

Sig said:
You can put low-comp forged pistons into any engine with or without sleeves.

The 3.2L engine is slightly different. The fact that they uses cf reinfored wall, Honda uses special material for the piston so it expands at different rate as temperature rises. As far as I know, nobody makes pistons that will work good for this application.

According to Comptech, piston slaps will definitely occur using aftermarket piston on 3.2L engine

Back