• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help, shifting problems

Guys,

Here is my clutch story!

I was having a ton of problems with my clutch. It was notchy, sometimes it would grind a little going into 2nd and/or 3rd and was hard to get into gear on down shifts. It was also hard to get a rhythm when shifting. it seemed like the shifting points were always changing.

I have had 2 clutches installed and removed and still it didn't fix the problem (way more to this story, but won't go into it).

The master cylinder was NOT leaking. I said WTF, change the master cylinder... FIXED! Now is shifts like butter.

The mechanic figures an inner seal got damaged or something. All I know is I am back in love with my NSX.

My 2002 only has 34k miles on it. I bet it never needed a clutch replacement in the first place. The easiest way to describe what the mechanic and I figure was going on is that the master cylinder was catching and not allowing the clutch to fully engage or disengage. So, maybe 10% movement was getting lost in both directions. This would describe the grind AND the clutch slippage smell.

My mechanic knows NSX's and he said that he has never seen anything like this. I watched him check the master cylinder 3 different times and NEVER found a leak.

I wonder how many other clutches have been replaced when the problem was the master cylinder?????

I have heard other 2002 and newer owners complaining of shifting issues similar to the ones I was experiencing.

Hope this helps solve some problems and saves you some cash! Can always use extra cash for more mods!!!

first thing should have checked was master and slave to rule out disengagement issue. not sure why it took 2 clutch jobs to figure this out. :smile:

happy to hear you both got your car fixed and that acura stepped up.

first thing should have checked was master and slave to rule out disengagement issue. not sure why it took 2 clutch jobs to figure this out. :smile:

happy to hear you both got your car fixed and that acura stepped up.

Agreed!

It took 2 clutch jobs because it was an intermittent issue. Fluid was fine, never changed.... there were no leaks. Not saying that the master and slave should not have been changed out earlier, but there were absolutely no signs of them being bad.

Live and learn....

It took 2 clutch jobs because it was an intermittent issue. Fluid was fine, never changed.... there were no leaks. Not saying that the master and slave should not have been changed out earlier, but there were absolutely no signs of them being bad.

Live and learn....

ya sorry to hear that, i would have changed out m&s first thing.

good to hear the car is fixed now.

sometimes cars are very tricky and require trial and error or expereince or both.

Todd McKelvie, Just for the heck of it, if your car was driven on for a long time before repair, drain the transmission fliud and check it for metal shavings or metalic dust, (you can use a small magnet to check for ferris particles) to be sure there is no premature gear wear, (while it is warm) since your still in warranty, the repair was mis-diagnosed, to be sure there's no chance of early gear failure. It's cheap and easy insurance.
Probibly not but you never know.

Cheers
nigel

Todd McKelvie, Just for the heck of it, if your car was driven on for a long time before repair, drain the transmission fliud and check it for metal shavings or metalic dust, (you can use a small magnet to check for ferris particles) to be sure there is no premature gear wear, (while it is warm) since your still in warranty, the repair was mis-diagnosed, to be sure there's no chance of early gear failure. It's cheap and easy insurance.
Probibly not but you never know.

Cheers
nigel

good tip :) change it anyways just because you love your car. :smile:

Back