• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help Sos Trunk Struts!!

I purchased science of speed trunk struts about a month ago and installed them immediatly. They worked when installed and I just opened my trunk and they no longer hold it up. Whats the story?:confused:

Mine don't work either. I contacted Chris and he offered to replace them, which I haven't done yet. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this. :confused: But they look awesome!

Just for info,
I bought new ones at the Honda dealer, they never worked. Trunk fell down just like the old ones. They wouldn’t give me a refund.
So I sent them to the Canadian guy, he rebuilt them into heavy duty ones.
Will install them next year.
So there is an inherent problem with those things…

It seems like I remember mine giving me a little problem once after I installed them. I was shocked that they did but haven't had a repeat of it so I'm not to concerned with it now.

Just for info,
I bought new ones at the Honda dealer, they never worked. Trunk fell down just like the old ones. They wouldn’t give me a refund.
So I sent them to the Canadian guy, he rebuilt them into heavy duty ones.
Will install them next year.
So there is an inherent problem with those things…

Yes, that happened to me too! The new oem ones don't work! :mad:

Henry.

Last edited:
Mine look great and work great. Thanks Chris...

I installed new factory struts about 2.5 years ago, and now they're hosed. I was surprised that they lasted such a short time! Especially since they're hardly used. I wonder what the "expected" life is supposed to be :confused:

Wow! I got lucky. My SOS stuts have been fine for a year now. Anyone know how the Canadian fellow makes them stouter?

You can contact Frank Irvine at Strutwise and ask him how. I had a set of his rebuilt struts for years and they worked fine. I wanted to try Chris's at SOS as they looked a lot cooler and the price was right.

15 months later, my SOS trunk struts have also failed with very little use.
They may have failed earlier but couldn't say as I don't open my trunk often.

Last edited:
I think its time to replace the oem spoiler with something lighter. The spoiler weighs a tonne compared to the cf one. Maybe someone could make a CF oem shape spoiler with space to put the oem LED.

Something must be up with the way the struts are loaded or something. Honda superceded the PNs for the struts again to 74872-SL0-023 (which I need to order; I'm getting sick of using a spring clamp to hold it open).

Yes, Frank did mine years ago and I thought they had too much spring at that time!!! They are working fine still with lots of spring.
Sos units look cool and a nice alternative. Hope they get it figured out.
Frank is so cool. You can call him at midnite and get him and talk to him, or he will talk to you......very proud man.
Sos units look cool and a nice alternative. Hope they get it figured out.
Trev

+ 1 for Frank. Great customer service. One of my original set from him failed under his warranty terms and he said that mechanics will often use vise grips on the shaft to keep them up when working on the car .. so he smoothed the shafts; re-charged them; and they've been working for me for years. I don't even remember how long .. probably 4+ years. And mine are subjected to what you might call 'severe service' .. Canadian winters .. -35F.
Maybe it's the heat that makes them fail. :smile:

Wax or stock wing!
I just put on my stock wing and wow, thats heavy, carbon fiber is much lighter!
Trev

Mine stopped working after 5 months. SOS is sending me a new set, thanks Chris!

I just installed the most recent part number from Honda on my 97 and they work fine, will hold the trunk in any position and I like keeping the car 100% original plus they were cheap, $64 shipped for the pair. Was fun cutting the old ones off the studs so I could reuse the painted originals. The old ones would still hold the trunk in a wide open position but just barely but if the replacements last the same eleven years, I'll be happy.

My SOS ones would fall once in a while for the first week or so. Now they are fine.

The SOS hatch struts are AWESOME.

My SOS hatch struts have failed me. :frown: One of them leaked some heavy oil and made a mess. I am going to have my oem ones rebuilt with Strutwise.

Back