• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help... Tech wanted in Portland, OR

I am looking for a reputable and experienced tech in Portland, OR. Morgan at Acura of Portland was promoted to Service Manager; so he's no longer getting his hands dirty at all. His 24 year old protoge' sounds okay, but only has two years total Acura experience, minor NSX experience, mostly just observational experience with NSX's. Addtionally, Morgan admits his skills in diagnostics are lacking. Any ideas????

Thanks

Without Morgon, we are lost. Maybe Seattle? If you go to Tonkin instead of Hannah, be careful about the diagnosis. Their newest tech wanted to remove the entire front end ($200+ for labor) to replace a burned out parking light. If he had read the manual, he would have known there is a screw (2 minutes of labor). Until we find someone, I will rely on Morgan's supervision of his staff.

I ended up doing my own clutch because Morgan was unavailable. I figured if I was going to pay someone to learn I might as well learn it myself. Wasn't to bad. I have had some very bad experiences with the service department at Tonkin I wouldn't take a Pinto their. They really like to add extra labor that isn't needed. Even if you know what your talking about they still try to get away with it.

I got this message straight to my email...anyone know of these guys??

NOTE: This is a message from 91BLACKANDBONENSX at NSX Prime ( http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/ ) sent to your NSX Prime account and forwarded by the system. The message follows below:

--------------start of message----------------------------

Jim waters and don waters used to be the best they were at tonkin a while ago. they do sidework and are good. I can get you in touch with them. I know I was the first person Morgan wrote up when he got promoted

--------------end of message-----------------------------

--------------start of message----------------------------

Jim waters and don waters used to be the best they were at tonkin a while ago. they do sidework and are good. I can get you in touch with them. I know I was the first person Morgan wrote up when he got promoted

--------------end of message----------------------------- [/B]

Jim Waters used to be at Tonkin. He changed my oil a couple of times. He was very helpful and he seemed fairly knowledgeable. He left and his replacement had zero NSX experience. Tonkin told me Waters moved to Arizona. I do not actually know if he is around here or not.

I know I was the first person Morgan wrote up when he got promoted

?? What does this mean?

Jim used to be the NSX Tech at Tonkin. I have never had any work done by him, but I do know someone that used to work with him and they say he is fairly knowledgable. He no longer works for Tonkin as far as I know.

Jim left to join some division of the military, which I can't quite recall what it was. It was one of those specialized divisions like secret service or CIA. I doubt he has time to work on cars even if he is still in the vacinity.

Allen

Well, I actually bought my car from Tonkin about a year ago. And while I got a good deal, and it's a nice car, at the end of the day, I don't think they really know much about NSXs .

In my case, there was quite a few things that they missed...I won't burden you with the details...none life threatening...but suffice to say, even their "super tech" (the one cited earlier who left for the military or CIA)...failed to research the fact that my car was the subject of a Service Bulletin for the hoses (that had never been replaced), and that it had a weak window regulator (since replaced).

All in all, I'd call that pretty lame. And if "super tech" has been replaced by someone of a lesser caliber, I'd consider bringing your car up here to Seattle.

Morgan is they guy you want to work on your car. We should all show up at once to acura of Portland and demand Morgan get his hands dirty again. J/K I wish him the best with his new job.

TALKED TO MORGAN AT ACURA

GOOD NEWS!!!
Morgan is back. He said sometime in August he will be back on the job doing side work. He misses getting dirty and wants a nice car to drive so line up but dont all call at once.

John

Hello all NSXers in the Portland/ Vancouver area.

I am happy to add you to the local NSX group's list of members but you need to E-mail me directly please. I am at: [email protected]

Please write me and give me the following info:

Name
Address
Car year/ color /mods
E-mail address
Phone numbers

Please remember to join the National NSX club. It is very inexpensive and supports the National and Local activities. Even if you don't care about the National activities, by joining the Club officially, you will be helping to keep the NSX name and organization alive!

Thanks.
Steven Forrest

Back