• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HID conversion kit special for NSX Prime members

Todd,

4300K is going to be "bright white", while 6000K has a strong blue tint. I have the 6000K installed, so you can check out mine if you want. If I had to do it again, I'd probably look into the 5000K.

Here's a pic of my 6000K kit vs. a Philips 4300K kit:

DSCN0446.JPG

Hi Guys-

Yes, got everyone's order - thanks all! Today I'll be getting some extra looming needed to complete a few more of the wire harnesses to give you guys the OEM look and orders will ship out today or tomorrow at the very latest. Also, wow - got some slim ballasts in - they look pretty nice and they are waterproof as well. I'll post pics up later.

About the color temps:

4300k = OEM white which looks like the sunlight at 10am.

5000k = Has a very very slight tint of blue to give it the LED white which is like the sunlight at noon or 1pm.

6000k = Has more blue and by now you are losing approximately 12% of your usable white light due to the color. Looks great on a white surface but put it on the black pavement and you'll start seeing less light.

8000k = Even more light is being lost now, close to 20% and the light output on the black pavement will be "ok". It will still be twice as bright as your halogens but this color temp or higher is really for people who are more interested in style vs light output.

Hope that helps guys.

Clifford

Yance - got your order but you didn't include a color temp- please send me a PM.

Thanks.

Clifford

veleno - got your ballast right here buddy. ;)

talk about slim... here are a few shots with the obligatory motorola razor comparison... the only drawback is that there is an external ignitor and I'd be worried that it would get mixed up in the headlight carriage for the NSX but if one cinches it down tightly, things should be fine.

slballasts.jpg

doing a lot of testing right now - the ballast is waterproof, just went through the dunk test today- sat in water for 6 hours, fired up fine... tomorrow - hammer time. ;)

this will be a new product offering come 2008. :)

And boy oh boy has there been a lot of testing here...

ballasts.jpg

wooooooo!!

c.

Looks like you've added more ballasts to the test. Do you have a write up of the results? I've read the current one a few times before but it doesn't mention the other ones added to the test. Or do those also fall into the same past results? I'm guessing it's still in the works.

yep - still in the works. :) i'll post more later. thanks!

Wow, under water for 6 hours. Man that sound like a flood victim. If only my car would also start after 6 hours under water. The testing is great for durability, but man if someone took a hammer to my HID's, I think my inner firewall/fenders would be all tweaked like a Coke can. J/K.

Update on the hammer test...

ummm...

Who wants a nice new paperweight?

Hi Koolaid-

Both are rubber injected. The slim ballast is undergoing testing right now to ensure it's a good reliable piece. The traditional style ballast is what is officially being sold and if all goes well with testing this month, the thin style will be offered in 2008. price is not determined yet but it will definitely be affordable.

:)

Got mine installed. Have a question or two.

I noticed the bulb flanges with the 120 degree tabs dont' recess up into the housing like the OEM bulbs did. The diameters seem ok. THe only thing I noticed is the housing behind the bulb and in front of the flange is thicker and longer than the oem one. Do those flanges have to lock into place or just be held firm?

Should the headlights have to be adjusted up? The lights don't seem to project up and out in front of the car as far as the OEM ones. They sure are bright though.

THanks,

Hi Aero,

As long as the bulbs stay firm, you'll be fine. As far as adjusting the headlights, you might want to since during the installation the headlights may have shifted a bit.

Thanks.

Clifford

After rechecking my bulbs for that fitment, I came up with a better way (seems so anyway) to mount the ballasts. Originally I just had them zip tied in there next to the servo motor but didn't really like that since they weren't really mounted that well. So after discovering there were actually brackets in the box I found a way to mount them. The brackets mount right to the top headlight bracket. You do have to drill two small holes but its pretty easy if you mark them carefully. Getting the locknuts on the bottom of the fasteners can be a real PITA though. I'd recommend using philips countersunk screws instead of flats (less chance of slipping). I put a piece of black electical tape over the end so its less obvious once you get everything back on there. If you had a diff color car you could use something else.

tape.jpg

side_mount.jpg

great idea to ensure they stay out of the way! :)

btw - all NSX kits ordered are going out today, you should have them by Saturday or at the latest, Monday just in time for Christmas.

Thanks all!

Clifford

Back