• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HID headlight bulb replacement

I guess one of my HID bulbs is burnt out so im wondering what bulb i need to get. The previous owner was the one that installed them so i dont know what kind it is. Hopefully this isnt a stupid question. BTW i did check the faq and i couldnt find the info i need.

I asked my dad and he said that the previous owner said that the HID kit is from hella. I am looking on their site but i dont know which one it is.

Are you sure its the bulb, and not the Balast?
I would swap the bulbs from one side to the other to make sure.

Also check your relays, your kit might allow you just to pull the relays out of their sockets and swap. Remember to check your basic power and ground as well.

The bulbs are expensive. You will want to make sure whatever replacement bulb you buy has the correct connectors and the same color temperature. If not, you might think about buying both bulbs in a matching set as the quality and colors vary between manufacturers. The best bulbs (Phillips) are available at www.hid-online.com

Here's a picture of the bulb, the connectors are on the left hand side of this picture. There are two connectors and these are fairly common for HID bulbs, just make sure the connectors to your ballast are the same.

9919grommet_wrong_wire-med.jpg

ok i switched the bulbs and i think you're right the ballast is the problem. Does anybody know of a good place to order a new ballast? does it matter if i get the same brand?

vtecNSX1 said:
ok i switched the bulbs and i think you're right the ballast is the problem. Does anybody know of a good place to order a new ballast? does it matter if i get the same brand?

Have you verified that it's not the relay? Relays go bad, too. A relay is a LOT cheaper than a ballast. Relay gives power to the ballast.

Phillips makes the best ballasts and bulbs. So as long as it fits the bulb, it doesn't matter what the brand is. But if you want the best quality, get the Phillips.

vtecNSX1 said:
ok how do i check the relay.

I don't know if you know what a relay looks like but it's usually a small black cube that's plugged into a socket on a harness. Here's what one looks like plugged in. It's the black box device at the top.

relayhar.jpg

You should find one of those somewhere near your ballast, connected to your ballast. You could just pull the relay from the socket and swap it with the relay on the other headlamp and see if it works.

If the relay is broken, you could just bring your old relay into Radio Shack and they can find a replacement for you for about $2.

alright cool im gonna check that.

ok i switched the relays and no change so i guess it is the ballast. :( Does anybody know of a good place in socal to buy one in person, i want to make sure i get one before the meet next friday.
edit: the ballast says 12v 5dv007 760-47
d2s, d2r

vtecNSX1 said:
ok i switched the relays and no change so i guess it is the ballast. :( Does anybody know of a good place in socal to buy one in person, i want to make sure i get one before the meet next friday.
edit: the ballast says 12v 5dv007 760-47
d2s, d2r

Not sure where you can find a quality ballast in socal on a shelf. I know SuperAutobacs carries full HID kits. Now that you've experienced a bad ballast, you probably want a high quality unit. Your best bet is to buy a Phillips unit like one here:

http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/products/ballasts_12v.htm

$161. You'll want to make sure your existing harness fits the socket on this ballast otherwise you have to get a harness as well. I think I've seen some units where the harness was part of the ballast.

Well i got the problem fixed. Apparently it wasnt a problem with any of the components the problem was that somehow the ground wasnt grounded anymore. I dont know how it happened but where whoever installed it decided to ground it wasnt a good ground anymore so i moved the ground to the same spot as the one for the right headlight and now everything works perfectly. Well at least it didnt cost me anything.

Back