• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HIDs...power from stock lightning harness or direct from battery?

Does the stock lightning harness provide enough power for aftermarket HIDs? Or should I use a combo of relay + fused wire + wire direct to battery for power?

Stock lighting harness should be able to handle the load. With that said. I swear my hid's on my legacy are brighter wired via a fused relay.

If you don't mind the wiring I would go with relay. In the least it would be safer.

are you using a kit designed for the NSX or just a generic kit?

generic made-in-china i bought off of ebay. i bought the same one for my civic few months ago..installed it with relays...works pretty good.

I would hook it up with the relays. There is no sense in burning up your factory wires if something goes wrong.

there's no reason to set it up this way - all HID kits use the headlight harness... no reason not to? :confused:

I mean more power to u if u want to do it that way but it sounds like it would be more work than to just plug it in there and have full use of the switches etc...

Does the stock lightning harness provide enough power for aftermarket HIDs?

No.

Should I use a combo of relay + fused wire + wire direct to battery for power?

Absolutely.

When you open your stock headlight assembly you'll see a black and a white wire going into the bulb socket. The black wire is the "hot" one that will be used to trigger the relay.

http://members.shaw.ca/seks/img_0099.jpg

I definitely need some kind of a connector with 2 wires coming out that fit over the car's bulb connector...instead of using crimped wires as they may come off during a drive over a bump?

:confused:

No.

You cut off the old 9006 bulb connector and solder then heatshrink to the hot wire that will trigger the relay. You'll never use the bulb connector again after running HIDs.

You need to drill a hole in the back of the black plastic endcap and use a grommet to pass the wires through. Make sure it is properly weatherproofed as well. There will be 3 wires coming out of the endcap. The trigger wire for the relay and the 2 wires going to the new HID bulb.

Here is what my car looks like...............

hid1.jpg

No.

You cut off the old 9006 bulb connector and solder then heatshrink to the hot wire that will trigger the relay. You'll never use the bulb connector again after running HIDs.

You need to drill a hole in the back of the black plastic endcap and use a grommet to pass the wires through. Make sure it is properly weatherproofed as well. There will be 3 wires coming out of the endcap. The trigger wire for the relay and the 2 wires going to the new HID bulb.

Here is what my car looks like...............

Hmm...it's essentially the same of what I'm doing, except I didn't snip off the 9006 connector. As you can see, there is a red cable with a single spade going from the hot of the 9006 bulb connector to the relay. Then there is the black cable with the single spade for ground.

After looking around, this is what I need if I want to avoid cutting off the 9006 bulb connector:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/9006-Male-Connec...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1215|293:1|294:50

Hmm...it's essentially the same of what I'm doing, except I didn't snip off the 9006 connector. As you can see, there is a red cable with a single spade going from the hot of the 9006 bulb connector to the relay. Then there is the black cable with the single spade for ground.

After looking around, this is what I need if I want to avoid cutting off the 9006 bulb connector:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/9006-Male-Connec...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1215|293:1|294:50

There isn't much room inside the caps. Snip off the factory bulb connector and be done with it.

I installed my HIDs 5 years ago and haven't had a single issue with them. Then again I got the good stuff (Philips) from autolamps-online.com and not the Asian crap sold out there.

I know its safer to run the wire via relay as the load and current may change at any cause for fault in the system.

your 12V source also changes to a 13.9-14.4V source as soon as the car is on.

So the safe answer would be no.

The Answer of can you, would be yes.

You shouldn't have to cut any wires when installing HID's on the NSX because you should get a kit for the NSX.
That way when you want to uninstall them, you can do so completely and there is no trace of them ever being there.

there's no reason to set it up this way - all HID kits use the headlight harness... no reason not to? :confused:.

Yes, there is a reason not to. Power from the battery is better than using power from the OEM harness. Some ballasts can draw more current than the OEM bulbs do for a short period of time. That can lead to wear on the wire and your OEM wiring can go bad.

It's always recommended to use relays and power directly from the battery. It's easier and cleaner to not do that but in my opinion that's just being lazy and risky. With the newer generation of ballasts, it's become safer to power from the OEM plugs. But safer is not as good as safest and safest way to do this is to use relays. If you've read around on various forums about kits, you'll know that a lot of people have had problems not using relays. Some burned their wires, some had flickering issues that completely went away when they powered from the battery. So if you wanna do it right, use relays, don't be lazy!

You shouldn't have to cut any wires when installing HID's on the NSX because you should get a kit for the NSX.
That way when you want to uninstall them, you can do so completely and there is no trace of them ever being there.

As far as I know, every kit out there is a "generic" kit (not NSX specific). 3rd parties put together pieces to make the install easier for the NSX application. I don't know of anyone that makes NSX caps to cover back of the lights, other than "whitensxs" who makes them himself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know he too uses a off the shelf 9006 generic kit and rewires it to work with the NSX.

I believe the stock wiring is good for the constant powering of the HIDs, however it is the initial startup/firing of the lights that draws the increased current that could pose a problem with your stock wiring.

I've been using the McCulloch kit wired to the OEM plugs for a few years without problems. I may have come across some old posts that the HID's actually consume less power than halogen bulbs... Not sure if that is accurate.

There are some variations of 45W and digital these days... Not sure if they need more or less juice to run or if they are safe with the OEM wiring.

As far as I know, every kit out there is a "generic" kit (not NSX specific). 3rd parties put together pieces to make the install easier for the NSX application. I don't know of anyone that makes NSX caps to cover back of the lights, other than "whitensxs" who makes them himself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know he too uses a off the shelf 9006 generic kit and rewires it to work with the NSX.

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I meant, but didn't say.:wink:

I've been using the McCulloch kit wired to the OEM plugs for a few years without problems. I may have come across some old posts that the HID's actually consume less power than halogen bulbs... Not sure if that is accurate.

There are some variations of 45W and digital these days... Not sure if they need more or less juice to run or if they are safe with the OEM wiring.

When fully powered, most HIDs do consume less power. It's the startup that can exceed the the OEM bulbs.

I used this one:

http://www.mobilehid.com/

They have a kit that includes a harness, w/loom, relay, connectors and instructions that powers from the battery. It's a really nice, OEM looking kit and addresses your power concerns.
wires.jpg

Last edited:
I used this one:

http://www.mobilehid.com/

They have a kit that includes a harness, w/loom, relay, connectors and instructions that powers from the battery. It's a really nice, OEM looking kit and addresses your power concerns.
wires.jpg

my ballast is in the headlights area.

how do you fish the ballast plug and remote turn on plug into the headlights area?

Through the grommet on the side of the headlamp bucket.
They had step by step instructions with pics.

Back