• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

highest mileage nsx ever!!

A metric tach is one with denominators based on a decimal base, and in which the relevant numerator is arrived at by simply moving the decimal point. On a metric tachometer, when the indicator needle points at the 5, for example, you would multiply that by the factor of 1000 or by moving the decimal point to the right three places to arrive at 5000 (rpm). I've never seen a tach that that wasn't metric, and that's a good thing.

Sorry, but I don't apologize for my humor. Sorry.

i believe a metric tach would be in radians instead of revolutions. ?perhaps?

That is amazing... You're my new hero.

When did they move the TCS light? looks like yours is in the tach, mine ('95) is in the upper right section of the gauge cluster.

um. you know, i never paid that much attention. I feel ashamed to say that i can't tell you exactly where the light is at. I am thinking that it was at the top center of the gauge cluster. I would run out and check, but i just got back up to school and won't see my car until friday afternoon. :(

i am far from a hero as i did not have the honor of racking up the miles. That pleasure went to the original owner. :(

Last edited:
So if service records are provided, and the car of coarse is checked out before purchase at a local shop or Acura dealership, and if the water pump/timing belt have been replaced(i think thats what everyone said the 2 major problems are)....would a 140k mileage nsx even be something to worry about?

I only ask because for the price range im looking at, i will only be able to afford a 91-94 nsx with over 110k miles and up. And i will only be driving it about 7,000 miles a year at most.

So if service records are provided, and the car of coarse is checked out before purchase at a local shop or Acura dealership, and if the water pump/timing belt have been replaced(i think thats what everyone said the 2 major problems are)....would a 140k mileage nsx even be something to worry about?

I only ask because for the price range im looking at, i will only be able to afford a 91-94 nsx with over 110k miles and up. And i will only be driving it about 7,000 miles a year at most.

I say go for it. If it was serviced regularly, it should be good for a long time.

I believe that the timing belt replacement recommendation is once every 7 years or 90k miles whichever comes first. So, for a '91, it should have had the timing belt replaced twice by now not once...and be only a couple of years from the third.

Having said that, there are a number of people on this board (my previous owner included) who have exceeded the 7 yrs without disastrous consequences. So, if the previous change was 2002 or more recent, you might be ok although you'll be looking at doing it again soon and it's not cheap.

....would a 140k mileage nsx even be something to worry about?

I have over 143k miles now and I am simply not worried. My car is actually better now than when I bought it, only with about 95k more miles. I say better because I have taken care of all the usual NSX issues, and I know how it has been driven and maintained for the last almost seven years. If you were to find a low-mileage car of the same age, it almost certainly would have a list of things that need to be taken care of, like the timing belt/water pump, failing speakers, failing antenna, leaky taillights, HID headlights, iPod adapter, replace the windshield washer nozzles, etc. etc. I have taken care of all those things and more on my own car, so I would much rather keep my car than trade for an NSX of the same age with low miles that needs those things addressed.

It is of course important to get a pre-purchase inspection and watch for the usual issues: salvage title, snap-ring range, timing belt replacement, has the car been abused etc etc, but I wouldn't let mileage scare me away from a well-maintained NSX - mileage is less of an issue than maintenance. If maintained reasonably well, an NSX should go over 300k miles easily, or at your proposed annual mileage 23 years.

The same is true of light aircraft. Better to buy a mid-time aircraft that has been flown regularly and is up to date than a hangar queen with low hours that sits and needs thousands of dollars of repairs to make it airworthy.

Last edited:

There's nothing wrong with a regularly-driven, regularly-maintained 140K mile, 240K mile or even 340K mile NSX as we've discussed in this thread.

The problems begin to occur when the car sits undriven for years or is driven very infrequently over an extended period of time, e.g. 5,000 miles over 10 years. This is typical of ultra-low overall mileage NSXs but it's also possible that even a higher-mileage NSX has sat undriven for many years although less likely.

When cars sit undriven for extended periods some gaskets, seals and hoses that normally don't get serviced during regular service may begin to deteriorate through non-use. Even if regular service is performed per the time guidelines if the car isn't driven much other issues related to non-use may appear.

In this case the issue is if the car has sat undriven or was driven infrequently for any extended amount of time. Even regular service won't protect against these types of issues which is why I am a huge opponent of purchasing ultra-low-mileage NSXs with the intention of driving them regularly from that point on.

Not only are ultra-low-mileage NSXs often neglected in terms of regular service but they also have other issues related to non-use that could arise. The premium that ultra-low-mileage NSXs carry means that one is spending far more for a car with potentially neglected maintenance and other odd issues related to non-use that you may have to fix resulting in a very, very poor value. Unless one is in search of a museum piece that won't get driven much a higher-mileage, more driven NSX will almost always be a better value.

This applies to the NSX in particular since higher mileage is really not much of an issue for NSXs and Hondas in general. This theory might be less applicable to an American classic car or an older European car, for example, that is ostensibly less reliable with higher mileage overall.

Yeah, probably. :rolleyes: However, aren't all nsx's oil pressure measured in kg/cm2?
Unless I'm mistaken ALL of the guages on the NSX are metric except for the US cars in which the Speedometer was changed out to support the Imperial system which is only used in the US. :cool: Everywhere else in the world would of course utilize Metric with the speedo in Kilometers.:wink: The Fuel and Temperature are of course bilingual because they simply use high and low settings. I'm not certain on there being a metric equivalent measurement used for Voltage?

Last edited:
There's not.

The metric tach thing made me lol.
I was laughing too, but I "think" it was being referenced as such because of the 1K multiple. That said though it still wouldn't be metric because metric is base 10, not base 1000.... Time to stop guessing and just enjoy the laugh. :biggrin:

I just hit 370,000! :smile: I have seen threads now, though, that there are some higher mileage ones out there. ...wonder why they never posted in here?:confused:

As mentioned above, we are all interested in a compression and leak down from you. Have you considered doing it?

Thanks,

There was one on craigslist about 8 months ago with over 400k on it. There was a pic of the odo. There was a thread about it as well.

If it was the one in Huntington Beach, I saw that car last November and was able to get a pic of the odometer. Had 409K miles on it when I saw it.

Back