• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

hmmm think this coil pack is bad? :)

sorry for the dinner plate and beverage bottle...

think this is a bad coil?
DSC00478.jpg

Is there a punch line to this?

If the rubber boot isn't cracked and the resistance (impedance) is within spec: it should be a good coil.

Holy Crap. What happened to the metal on the underside? Is it torn off or is that corrosion? I replaced my rear bank coils because they had a slight rusty color on them.....but they were nothing like yours. Mine all still Ohm out fine so I probably replaced them for nothing.

Did this coil cause any problems in the cylinder?

Yes, seems like heavy corrosion as if someone spread a bucket of salt in the engine room. :D

If you hear misfiring from time to time, also at idle, get a new one (or better three new one RR).

test it with a volt meter.

only way you can tell.

not a visually inspectable item.

if its with in factory specs, put it back on the car.

happy motoring

Rob :smile:

well everyone, its was kind of a retorical statement...while it did test fine, ender load it would misfire. also any moisture in the air (very rare here in phoenix) or after a wash it would obviously misfire...
it is actually rust on that underside, it rusted so bad that it had started to split and fall apart....

thru in a few new ones and it is back to where it should have been...:cool:

misfire under load!?!? are you sure?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: well....you must be mistaken, because i herad here that the coils either are on or off......

well...despite what anyone can say, my engine is now safe....and i posted my problem, causes, tests and solutions so other fellow primers are aware of what to expect....

misfire under load!?!? are you sure?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You can't 'feel' having misfire without any load. That what he wanted to say. The heavier the load the more obvious the misfiring. :wink:

well...despite what anyone can say, my engine is now safe....and i posted my problem, causes, tests and solutions so other fellow primers are aware of what to expect....

I've replaced my RR coil after having misfire at idle and reading your story.

I hope that my posts regarding this issue helped you preventing any problems with your engine.

one of the first things that make me aware of a possible problem was that when at idle, my exhaust made a POP sound... a mechanic said that was a couple of exhaust valves not sealing... then i started my crusade to solve the mess....

In addition, do something similar like I did on my engine, esp. on rear head but, please, something that looks better than my functional solution and forget about rusty ignition coils for the next 1000 years. :wink:

Last edited:
eahaehaeh

my coils are completly water proof now.... water can pass the coil cover...and be arround the coils...but not under them...they are plastic all arround minus the bottom...so...the bottom is isolated :wink: :wink:

noiw i can even have a hose pumping water directly to the coils that nothing happens :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

kinda quick, question, does anyone know what the resistance should be on the coil? and im assuming you measure it from terminal to terminal?

Back