• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda/ Acura announces their forray into Lemans racing!

American Honda's Acura division announced today at the New York Auto Show that next year they will be backing a factory team to compete in the ALMS series in the US with the possibility of also competing at LeMans! They will field a pair of cars in the LMP2 prototype class which will run against the new factory backed Porsche RS Spyders as well as the Lola's!
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Honda/ Acura annou nces their forray into Lemans racing!

HON2006041227776_pv.jpg

HON2006041227754_pv.jpg

HON2006041227844_pv.jpg

HON2006041227743_pv.jpg

Very cool. Precusor? I'm wondering if the next generation NSX engine will be used in race trim?

Next generaeration sports car will NOT be mid engined like the NSX but be a front engined AWD GT to compete against Aston Martin...sorry to say

VintageracerNYC said:
Next generaeration sports car will NOT be mid engined like the NSX but be a front engined AWD GT to compete against Aston Martin...sorry to say

I thought that this was one possible direction Honda might pursue, but wasn't cast in concrete yet.

I'd be extremely surprised if the LMP2 engine has anything to do with a production car. From www.motorsport.com:

The Acura 3.4-liter aluminum alloy V8 powerplant will be designed and developed in-house by Honda Performance Development, the first of its kind for the wholly-owned racing subsidiary of American Honda. The idea behind HPD is to match the powerplant with chassis from two top manufacturers: Courage and Lola.

if they race, it will be a good time to test the new NSX motor :smile:

Wow. Sweet! I think if I take off my engine cover that baby just might fit... :D

NetViper said:
Wow. Sweet! I think if I take off my engine cover that baby just might fit... :D
if it dont fit. we'll make it fit. u really dont need the trunk anyway :biggrin:

Woooo!! REPRESENT!! Might have to check out an ALMS race next year in person....Laguna Seca anyone? :biggrin:

Acura Joins the American Le Mans Series

Acura will enter the 2007 American Le Mans Series, competing in the LMP2 class, company officials have announced. This will mark Acura’s first factory motorsports program in the 20-year history of the company.

Full story here:

http://world.honda.com/news/2006/c060412AmericanLeMans/

amgnsx said:
if they race, it will be a good time to test the new NSX motor :smile:

NSX-Tuner said:
Very cool. Precusor? I'm wondering if the next generation NSX engine will be used in race trim?

Isn't that motor missing 2 cylinders? :confused:

Only looks like a V8 to me...

From the article :

2007 Acura American Le Mans Series Entry

Engine Specifications:
Engine Type Normally aspirated, fuel-injected, aluminum alloy cylinder block V-8 Displacement 3.4 liters Horsepower 500+ bhp Valve Train Dual overhead camshaft, four valves per cylinder Engine Management Motorola/Honda ECU Ignition System CDI Lubrication Dry sump Cooling Single water pump

I was under the impression everyone already knew that the new NSX will be a V10 and estimated at 400+ HP. This engine isn't going near the redesigned version.

1UFO 2C said:
I was under the impression everyone already knew that the new NSX will be a V10 and estimated at 400+ HP. This engine isn't going near the redesigned version.

Most people on the site know it is going to be a V10, but I don't really think any official HP figure has been given.

Depending on the market they are going after, 400HP might not cut it.

ChopsJazz said:
New ALMS rules state that all Prototype cars are to be configured as two-seaters.

Cool. I call shotgun! :eek:

bsudiro said:
From the article :

Quote:
2007 Acura American Le Mans Series Entry

Engine Specifications:
Engine Type Normally aspirated, fuel-injected, aluminum alloy cylinder block V-8 Displacement 3.4 liters Horsepower 500+ bhp Valve Train Dual overhead camshaft, four valves per cylinder Engine Management Motorola/Honda ECU Ignition System CDI Lubrication Dry sump Cooling Single water pump

Motorola? For a better signal on his headset??

:)

ChopsJazz said:
New ALMS rules state that all Prototype cars are to be configured as two-seaters.

International LeMans rules have required two seaters for years.

Back