• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda CEO Talks Up NSX

sporteknik

In an article posted yesterday from Motortrend.com, Honda president and CEO Takanobu Ito said regarding launching a production version of the HSV-010GT, "we might just launch the car in limited numbers as is, with a downtuned V-8."

Also mentioned in the article are two additional hybrid sports vehicles rumored to be in development.

- A medium-sized sports car with a V-6-hybrid (strongly rumored to debut as an Acura, based on the Accord/TSX?)

- A compact lightweight four-cylinder hybrid coupe (CR-Z?)

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/...nda_ceo_talks_up_nsx/index.html#ixzz1EoZ9UdkB

Last edited:
In an article posted yesterday from Motortrend.com, Honda president and CEO Takanobu Ito said regarding launching a production version of the HSV-010GT, "we might just launch the car in limited numbers as is, with a downtuned V-8."

I wonder how many of the "limited" would make it stateside...if it is even anywhere near real.

I got a feeling the real reason they are doing this is because the FIA may not allow them to keep using the HSV-010GT for the Super GT series if there isn't a production model out to the public. They gave them some slack last year but running a car for 2 to 3 years that isn't out to the public when all their competition does so is kind of unfair to their competition.

Honda NSX Revival Rumours

• By Paul Gover
  • Carsguide
  • 22 February 2011

• nsx_ww.jpg
    Honda's Takanobu Ito hints that Honda could put a small number of cars, based on the latest V8-powered NSX racer, into production but does not say when.

In Japan Sports cars are back on the menu at Honda as the company considers a road-going version of its race winning NSX.

Honda killed the 2nd-generation NSX with its F1-inspired V10 engine before it could hit the road but is now considering a new plan after scoring a string of successes in Japanese GT racing.

After consolidating its green technology with the Insight, Civic Hybrid, CR-Z and Jazz Hybrid, Honda believes the is right for a serious re-evaluation of its sports car program.

The head of Honda, Takanobu Ito, says the company is "rekindling" the spirit of motorsport and has commenced evaluation of a new car - for sports driving enthusiasts and motorsport - that will meet the expectations of a public wanting greener technology.

The result is likely to be smaller and lighter, and have a smaller and greener powerplant, but still generate a decent amount of power. Ito hints that Honda could put a small number of cars, based on the latest V8-powered NSX racer, into production but does not say when.

But Honda is known to be on 2 other cars, 1 a medium-sized sports cars with a V6-hybrid, strongly rumoured to debut as an Acura for the USA, and the other a compact lightweight four-cylinder hybrid coupe.

Last edited:
I got a feeling the real reason they are doing this is because the FIA may not allow them to keep using the HSV-010GT for the Super GT series if there isn't a production model out to the public. They gave them some slack last year but running a car for 2 to 3 years that isn't out to the public when all their competition does so is kind of unfair to their competition.

Makes sense. Hopefully they done make 5 of them and charge $500,000 each.:frown:

Honda has turned me into a pessimist. Every CEO going back the last decade or so has touted the next NSX or a successor. So far, nothing. While the news is interesting, I won't hold my breath until I see the car in a showroom. :redface:

Oh and if it's FR layout, forget it. Nothing against it if the market wants it, but its just not for me. :biggrin:

Honda has turned me into a pessimist. Every CEO going back the last decade or so has touted the next NSX or a successor. So far, nothing. While the news is interesting, I won't hold my breath until I see the car in a showroom. :redface:

Oh and if it's FR layout, forget it. Nothing against it if the market wants it, but its just not for me. :biggrin:

+11tybillion

My only concern? Will we see a mid engine car again.

Doubt it, and I wish people would stop calling the HSV a NSX. Its not a NSX it has nothing in common with the NSX except for the Honda badge. Call it the HSV.

I agree with many here. I am only interested in a MR sports car in general and Honda has the styling and build quality to deliver a total package as they did with the NSX.

Best direction would be to do limited production run on the HSV FR platform with the V10 and then do a $60K-$80K mid engine sports cars, possibly hybrid performance as they are talking about while also taking advantage of the R&D from the HSV. That way they don't waste the R&D/pre-production they did on the HSV V10 FR and also deliver a behind the driver mid engined car that can appease the NSX lovers and sell well accordingly.

Doubt it, and I wish people would stop calling the HSV a NSX. Its not a NSX it has nothing in common with the NSX except for the Honda badge. Call it the HSV.

Amen.

As much as I'd love for Honda to stick to the tradition of the NSXs MR lay out, I honestly wouldn't mind if it was an FR layout. I have been a Honda guy ever since the S2000 came out and it's a shame that Honda has not produced a sports car similar to Nissan's GT-R, so them taking this action has me very excited.

All I ask is Honda to NOT make it a Hyrbid PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

I honestly would much rather purchase the HSV over the GT-R, if of course if within 100k.

Shhh! It actually stands for 'Hybrid Sports Vehicle'

:wink: FYI

Attachments

• NSX.jpg
    NSX.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 279
  • nsx1.jpg
    nsx1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 269
  • FT-HS supra.jpg
    FT-HS supra.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 270
  • FT-HS supra 2.jpg
    FT-HS supra 2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 237
  • FT-HS supra 1.jpg
    FT-HS supra 1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 230
  • LFA CV.jpg
    LFA CV.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 239
The red car (2 posts up) looks like a POS Accord-derived sports coupe, and the white one looks like it comes from the POS CR-Z. Honda = lame (to put it very nicely)

The red car (2 posts up) looks like a POS Accord-derived sports coupe, and the white one looks like it comes from the POS CR-Z. Honda = lame (to put it very nicely)

None of those designs/concepts are from Honda. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that the pics I saw of the NSX replacement being tested at the Nurburgring resembled the red car. The others were Toyota. Actuallyh the LFA convertible looked good.

To the guy that mentioned the "NSX" in the same breath as the LFA - uhhhhhmmm there is no way that the NSX replacement would be on par with a $350k LFA - at least if it is it will not be in anyone's price range that I know.....so I hope it isn't devised to be on that level - cause I'd like to be able to afford it eventually.

There hasn't been much follow up to these "announcements" about a new NSX - which makes me think this is all total bs. I'd like to think it isn't but I don't have a great feeling about this.

Does anyone?

It seems to me that the pics I saw of the NSX replacement being tested at the Nurburgring resembled the red car. The others were Toyota. Actuallyh the LFA convertible looked good.

To the guy that mentioned the "NSX" in the same breath as the LFA - uhhhhhmmm there is no way that the NSX replacement would be on par with a $350k LFA - at least if it is it will not be in anyone's price range that I know.....so I hope it isn't devised to be on that level - cause I'd like to be able to afford it eventually.

There hasn't been much follow up to these "announcements" about a new NSX - which makes me think this is all total bs. I'd like to think it isn't but I don't have a great feeling about this.

Does anyone?

Nothing is impossible. If they are planning a very limited production run of the JCTC model -- it just might happen. But they might also cost $500K.

None of those designs/concepts are from Honda. :rolleyes:
Honda basically doesn't release their concepts until long after spy shots have already shown what their products will look like, no? So it's not as if we can expect much of a surprise from them.

For the white car pictured I may not have looked close enough to notice it's the Toyobaru thing, but whether it's that or the Honda sportscar in the March Road & Track (teal car, that looks close enough to pretty much all the other $30K-ish concepts), they're all non-exotic, and judging by their mundane looks, meant to compete with Z cars and the like, and most probably share their chassis with sedans or coupes.

As for the red car (not the chopped-top Lexus), it certainly mirrors an Accord - sideview/front end/taillights/roofline; check out the badges front and back - they look like they say "H" to me.

Back