• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Horns

You can replace them with air horns for a louder, more European sound. Do a search I think it's been discussed or written up in the FAQ under DIY mods.

I recently added the Hella air horns to my car for the same reasons you mentioned. Now that I have gone through the effort of installing all the components and trying very hard to hide all the components, (2 horns, compressor, wiring) I would consider another option.

An easy alternate is to buy used horns from a junk yard (ie, horns from a Volvo or a Cadillac) that have deep sounds. You could pick these up for very cheap. Then wire them up to the existing horns (in the front of your car) and see if you like the sounds without removing the OEM horns. You can mix and match different sounds, or even add another sound to the 2 existing horns.

By replacing the OEM “beep beep” horns with air horns, I had a difficulty with the ‘third’ horn that is also used for the alarm. I didn’t want to disconnect it and loose my alarm horn. So now I have 2 air horns and one “beep beep” horn.

When I honk my horn, I hear both sounds (in actual fact, the “beep beep” sound kicks in first until the compressor builds enough pressure to sound the air horns). But the time lag between the two is very short and you wouldn’t really notice.

Good luck with your winter project.

I believe the "alarm horn" is just an extra when the alarm goes off to increase the total dB. If you disconnect it, AFAIK, your airhorns will just go off by themselves.

BTW, Griots now sells a wholly contained unit cheap.

ANYTIME said:
Here are a few previously discussed topics here and here.
John :)
Gee, I could swear that both those links go to the same topic. ;)

That topic is somewhat old, and I have found a much less expensive place to get the Hella air horns. I've probably posted about it since then, but just in case, the link is here. Great prices and great service. I got the 85105 kit, with two horns. (Warning, to those who think that more is always better: the three horn kit (85100) has a significantly bigger compressor, that will be more challenging to find space for under the hood. That's why I'm happy with the 85105.)

Daria said:
Did you disconnect the alarm horn on your set up?
No.

I'm pretty sure that the horn is the "blended sound" - IOW, that all three horns (the two air horns plus the alarm horn) sound when you beep the horn. I like the sound that way.

Back