• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How come Japan is unable to design sexy and beautiful cars?

I asked this question on another car forum of mine, local to my hometown.
I'm curious on are your thoughts on Prime

---------------------------------------------------------------

In all the years, the only truly beautiful car to come out of Japan is the original NSX.

However, the NSX was designed by Pinifarina, which is Italian.
The designer for Pinifarina (forgot exact name, Ken something, I'm sure someone on this forum knows.) was Japanese, and he also designed the body of the C5 Corvette.
The body of the NSX was not an original Honda design.

One of the reasons IMO why Japan can't sell worthy sportscars is because none of them look like sportscars/supercars.
They all look weaksauce.

When you look at any Lambo, it's cool, menacing and makes you want one. It's instantly recognizable as a Lamborghini, from the old ones to the new ones.
Even after Audi bought Lamborghini, they had a good designer for the Murcielago and the Gallardo.

How come Japan can't/won't step up to the plate and design a beautiful car?

We already know that they can build decent performing cars - reliable, powerful, and enjoyable - but one of the main things that attract people to a sportscar/supercar is that it looks beautiful.

THIS IS NOT A GTR TOPIC, but if the new GTR looked universally cool (like a Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin, etc) it would be all around popular, instead of fanbois, track guys, performance guys.

I'm talking about Japanese sports cars WITHOUT bodykits needed to look good/decent. There aren't that many.

The only Japanese sports cars that I feel look good from the original design is:

NSX
99 Spec RX7
240Z
S14 Silvia (kouki, late model 97+)
S15 Silvia (Which was also designed by Pinifarina, IIRC)
FC3S RX7 (2nd gen RX7)

All the other japanese sports cars look good/decent (Skyline GTRs, MK4 Supra, 3000GT, 300ZX, 350ZX, etc) but don't look cool enough to inspire lust/want.

a lambo is a lambo because its a lambo, the incredible exotice cars like lamborghini, ferrari, come from a somewhat concentraited area they make high power, sexy looking expensive cars, just like germany has bmw and mercedes which are extremely nice sport luxury cars, japan has the nsx and its pinnicle of perfection in japans purpose built, really simple but works great idea, simple as in look at the charactoristics, the maintnence, the reliability, the way it makes an incredible car with only 300hp, its not suprise the exterior was designed by an italian, that really doesnt suprise me one bit, nothing else from japan has the elegance of the nsx.

although, i have to admit, i think r34 gtr skylines are pretty dam awesome looking, not nsx level in terms of looks, but choosing a r34 vs the new gtrs would be a tough choice

and dont get me started on america and our god dam piece of shit ford and chevy garbage that we make here, all i have to say to describe them like i described the others is "built ford tuff" and "chevy, like a rock" i mean look at the new z06 corvettes, all that performance and look at the bland cheap american interior, how about the new vipers interior, all these homosexuals flocking to california to get married and not one of them can be an interior designer for ford or chevy or dodge:tongue:

disclaimer: the new ford f150 interior is nice

I don't know but I will say that some of the UGLIEST concepts originate in Japan. At almost every Tokyo motor show there is one car that makes you want to Ralph.

I don't know what it is. Italians are always good at design. Look at their clothing lines, their artwork, its more than just cars. They just have design down. Japanese make lots of really ugly stuff. Don't know... if you figure out the answer let me know. They should have given the new NSX to Paninfarina... Or Italdesign.... or Bertone... something like the ASCC would never be designed by Georgetto Giugiaro.

I Think the NSX was a way for the Honda corp. to say to the other exotic car manufactures "Hey look, we can make a car like that too" "And reliable to boot" And they did. And it is. But after all this time I dont think they will do it again. They could, but with everyone wanting a 80 MPG vehicle, Maybe they think It just wouldnt be worth their time, or money involved in production. Clearly that acura concept nsx replacement P.O.S. will never be produced because 1. Its god ugly and 2. It was supposed to be a V-10 motor. 3. It was designed in America. Thats 3 strikes. If you ask me, there is no american design team that could even come close to the NSX. Why? Easy. These design students that land these jobs are retards, they take what they see on the road and stretch it out a bit, make it fat here, skinny there....Hell just throw them a piece of play-dough and they will be happy. I think I could design a better car than any american manufactuer out there right now. Someone send me a clay brick and I'll prove it.

Bottom line is Ignore my ranting, the Japanese knew they could make a super car, and they did. No need to do it again. Its like driving the NSX. Theres no need to go fast ALL THE TIME. the car speaks for itself. People probably have a good Idea what It can do just by looking at it. That may be Honda's stand-point.

It's called "culture". Every culture has things they find beautiful and recognizable/comfortable. From language to art to fashion to cars, the nations culture is captured.

It's not Japan, it's you.

Mazda FD RX7 is pretty good looking. Toyota Supra MKIV is sort of good looking. Nissan 350Z is kind of good looking. Mitsubishi EVO...nevermind.

wall.gif
I think they're priorities are different. Seems like looks and styling are an afterthought.

They have. The NSX is sexy. FD RX-7s are sexy. 2nd gen Eclipses/Talon's are hot. 3000GTs have a sex appeal to them. S2000s are sweet, as are NB Mazdaspeed Miatas.

There's a few, but they're rare.

Don't look just at economy considerations for the lack of good looking cars. Mitsubishi made the FTO, and that was a smaller engined front drive car that looked pretty good, and I liked the last celica as well as the last integra.

Right now there are more strict standards for side impact making cars look taller and fatter, as well as pedestrian impact safety rules coming out of Europe that are raising hood heights to what I consider ridiculous levels.

Not only that, but styling to me seems to go in waves. The muscle car era had styling that might not have been sleek, but had definite character all its own. The eighties sucked. The nineties brought all the defining Japanese sports cars we love, and now cars suck again. Even Ferrari, to me, hit a low point in the eighties. Look at the 308 compared to the old Lemans cars, and also compared to the 360/430.

Nick

Why design your own when you know the person you paid for the job will get it done right the first try?

Ken Okuyama, a famous Japanese car designer who used to work for Pininfarina headed the design team for Ferrari Enzo, 599, P4/5 and etc.

I Think all current Honda cars are fugly except actually, the civic. The accord (at least the sedan) fugly. CRV, fugly. Element, fugly. The new passport... Fuglier than last years. The odyssey is ok... For a minivan. The ridgeline... Its kinda ugly. How is this manufacturer going to design a nice NSX?

It's called "culture". Every culture has things they find beautiful and recognizable/comfortable. From language to art to fashion to cars, the nations culture is captured.

It's not Japan, it's you.

well then why does pretty much everyone find most Italian designs beautiful? It doesn't seem to be cultural. Don't give them that handy culture excuse. They like ugly because they are used to making lots of it. LOL

i dont like the design on 350z, g35, RX7, s2000, GTR33,34, 35, EVO, STI. i feel they are all kinda ugly. even BMW,MB, Porsche, i dont like any of their design. good performance car, but ugly shape.

italian design is almost the most beautiful one.

italian design is almost the most beautiful one

why does pretty much everyone find most Italian designs beautiful?

Respectfully, comments like this have no statistical evidence to support. It's almost like saying most people prefer Italian foods to Japanese foods - says who? Who are these "most people"? Italians? Americans? Japanese?

Italian cars that many Americans are used to are Ferraris and Lambos which are regarded as exotic cars, not really representative of general Italian cars.

If you go to Italy or European countries and look at cars made by Fiat (a parent company of Ferrari) or Alfa Romeo, you will soon realize that not all Italian cars are beautiful. Or, simply visit Fiat website and see their product lineup. You will appreciate and realize unique design elements that Japanese cars offer.

One person's taste can be influenced by many factors, cultural background being one of them. For instance, many of my friends who grew up and currently live in Asia find Japanese cars to be unique and beautifully designed.

I personally think that all current Honda cars are handsome.

Pininfarina designed NSX?

No, Ken Okuyama worked for Honda straight out of school and he was the chief designer of the NSX while there. I imagine the NSX being on his resume helped him get his later job at Pininfarina. There was a documentary about him on TV produced by NHK and shown on HDNET. The actual portfolio that Okuyama sent to Pininfarina when he applied for the job was not full of car drawings. They were various Japanese animation-style drawings that were of everything other than cars. His creativity and imagination in the drawings convinced Pininfarina to hire him.

Alfa 8C...
061025_ar_8c_10_1024.jpg

Honda Puyo....

Honda_PUYO_Concept_Car.jpg

Why you ask? Two words...the kids grow up surrounded by:

HELLO KITTY

Hello-Kitty.jpg

Hence the Puyo in the post a few lines up. :tongue: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back