• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How come Japan is unable to design sexy and beautiful cars?

well then why does pretty much everyone find most Italian designs beautiful? It doesn't seem to be cultural. Don't give them that handy culture excuse. They like ugly because they are used to making lots of it. LOL

Most Italian cars are high end. Are you really comparing Honda's line up with Ferrari's, Lambos, Maseratis? is that ever fair?

Do you know how much that 8C costs? You could buy the entire Honda lineup for that price.

Look into FIAT and see what you come up with.

You're comparing cars made for utility versus cars made for showing off. I think every high end Japanese sports car has looked pretty good for the most part. They're a little edgier but again, that's part of the culture. If you don't get it that's fine, but don't blame Japan.

Most people dislike the look of GT-R...I kinda enjoy it. Maybe it's the Gundum look.

You know what, their buildings look different too....especially their houses.

well then why does pretty much everyone find most Italian designs beautiful? It doesn't seem to be cultural. Don't give them that handy culture excuse. They like ugly because they are used to making lots of it. LOL

The key question really should be like this:

Is the Civiv more fugly than Corolla, Sentra, and Sunfire, etc?

Is the Accord fuglier than Camery, Ultima, Malibu, etc?

Is the TL uglier than .....

I think currently, Honda's got fairly good design ques, I did not like their exterior design during the early 90's such as 92 -96 Prelude, 91 to 95 Civic.

That Toyota 2000GT was easily one of the sexiest cars of its era. I'm glad someone can remember that, as well as the many others mentioned, RX-7 and Toyota Supra, especially.

Like any constructer late to the party without a rich and old history of car making Japan ramped up the auto industry behind the europeans and usa,on a large scale.Imo the japanese styling was derivative.The 2000gt=jag e type,the first rx7 ala 1979=porsche 924.The nsx was clearly derived from the mid engine 308/328 series.Now as these models developed and evolved is when true Japanese design took hold,you have to start somewhere.

Honda had Pininfarina do a study for them called the Honda HP-X. It was a styling research project for a two seat coupe.

Specs: mid-rear engine based on the 1996 cm3 V6 Honda unit developed for Formula 2 cars

http://www.pininfarina.com/index/st...esc&sl=0&ids=4532fab5091e90c0d13f3e13d3675887

01.jpg

exactly, and that is the only input that they had in the dev process of the nsx.... and it is clear to see that they didn't use any of that garbage pininfarina gave them (thank god) :tongue:

OP needs to understand that the nsx IS a JAPANESE design :wink:
oh, so are 90 percent of the beautiful sport bikes out there. :cool:

Most Italian cars are high end. Are you really comparing Honda's line up with Ferrari's, Lambos, Maseratis? is that ever fair?

Do you know how much that 8C costs? You could buy the entire Honda lineup for that price.

Look into FIAT and see what you come up with.

You're comparing cars made for utility versus cars made for showing off. I think every high end Japanese sports car has looked pretty good for the most part. They're a little edgier but again, that's part of the culture. If you don't get it that's fine, but don't blame Japan.

I completely agree....very logical reasoning.

Makers of Lambos and Ferrari are really one trick pony car companies. Much like supermodels, killer looks but people don't expect them to be intelligent, articulate or good cooks.

Japanese car makers like Honda have many missions with different priorities. Someone has to save the world. Don't expect Ferrari to create zero emission vehicles or build jet aircrafts.

Maybe one day Japan will have a pure sport car company with an in house design team whose focus is on making only sleek sexy autos. Until then, talented Japanese designers such as Ken Okuyama will continue to leave Japan and find work in Italy.

Japan is capable of designing sexy and beautiful cars but there aren't enough high end exotic NSX, GT-R projects to go around to establish a reputation and allow talented designers to thrive.

Here is one for you.

Attachments

• Starquest.JPG
    Starquest.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 37
I don't really like any new cars. They're all too damn big, even the MB and BMW........hell especially them. The car world continues to make em bigger and they're just getting smaller in the bike world...........that's a scary proposition :eek: hold on while I hook up that 3rd 139+db airhorn......

They should place a new tablet on the Statue of Liberty inscribed 'Welcome to America, we have serious penis envy issues so we want everything as big as possible while we incessantly bitch about oil prices'

Sorry, I almost got mowed down by a lifted H2 today.........I'm kinda pissed.

I don't really like any new cars. They're all too damn big, even the MB and BMW........hell especially them. The car world continues to make em bigger and they're just getting smaller in the bike world...........that's a scary proposition :eek: hold on while I hook up that 3rd 139+db airhorn......

They should place a new tablet on the Statue of Liberty inscribed 'Welcome to America, we have serious penis envy issues so we want everything as big as possible while we incessantly bitch about oil prices'

Sorry, I almost got mowed down by a lifted H2 today.........I'm kinda pissed.

A lot of that can be attributed to crash standards...and then there's America's love for bigger, badder cars.

Well folks, the writing is on the wall...gas isn't cheap anymore. You'll get your wish of small, eco cars...pretty soon you won't see too many H2's or H3's out there except for people that need them.

I'm kinda looking forward to it.

That interior is hot.

Back