• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do I tell which alarm system I have?

I just picked up my 91' 2 days ago.
The alarm FOB is a Clifford. I'm wondering if there is a way to tell exactly which model it is so I can learn how it works.

Thanks,

Paul

Great question. My fob is a Viper. I bought a spare fob and have no idea how to set it or even where the alarm is located.

Any chance you could contact the previous owners or perhaps check the owner's manual pouch, map pocket behind passenger seat or any pile of documents you got with your cars and see if an owner's manual magically appears?

If not, the "brain" of the alarm was most likely mounted under the passenger side of the dash of behind the center console. You'll have to go hunting.

You have to find the brain and hope the model number is on there.

I know Vipers have their model numbers on the black casing. I forgot with Cliffords.

Installers are usually lazy and stuff the brain right up under the driver side dash. Just look for a plastic box with a bunch of wires going to it. Should be about 4"x4"x1"

Thanks Hugh & Bradley

I'll go hunting for the brain this weekend.

ANYTIME said:
That sounds pretty funny if you take it out of context :biggrin:
It would have been worse if I had said "my brain".

^^ did you buy the exact same remote?

If you have a picture of the remote, you could narrow it down significantly to which VIPER unit you have.

ALso, reprogramming is basically the same for most DEI (Viper/Python/newer CLifford) modules. Let me know if you need help. I'm in the LA area too =)

egprelude said:
^^ did you buy the exact same remote?

If you have a picture of the remote, you could narrow it down significantly to which VIPER unit you have.

ALso, reprogramming is basically the same for most DEI (Viper/Python/newer CLifford) modules. Let me know if you need help. I'm in the LA area too =)
I bought the exact same remote. I'll post a pic of the remote/fob this weekend. Would I still need to find the alarm brain before programming the remote? The instructions I received with it said something like that but I didn't know where it was.

BTW, if I press the open button for 3 seconds the trunks pops open. Does the factory alarm do this?

No owner's manual...boooo! As clean is this thing is, I am shocked it was missing. I'll thumb through the other docs when I get home. It's just been so friggin' cold here.
Otherwise, I'll go "brain hunting"

Thanks!

SoCalDude said:
BTW, if I press the open button for 3 seconds the trunks pops open. Does the factory alarm do this?

Don't confuse the factory alarm system with the OEM keyless entry system. They are independent of each other but do work in concert if the keyless entry is installed. In any case the OEM keyless entry does not pop the trunk.

Hugh said:
Don't confuse the factory alarm system with the OEM keyless entry system. They are independent of each other but do work in concert if the keyless entry is installed. In any case the OEM keyless entry does not pop the trunk.
The OEM keyless entry unlocks the doors only? Anything else?

Well, like I said, most DEIs are generally the same in programming.

You just need to find the VALET switch, if there is one. You wound't necessarily need to go find the actual model of the unit. Let me know if you need directions.

If you do find the model of the brain, I can get you the manual on that too.

I've looked and still can't find the alarm brain. Must be hidden pretty well. Here are pics of the spare remote I bought (which is exactly the same as the one that car with my car) and the instructions that came with it.

RemoteFront.jpg

RemoteBack.jpg

RemoteInstructions.jpg

Does it go beep beep or honk honk? Anyways that alarm pad looks just like the one my bro-in-law has. His is a viper alarm.

SoCalDude said:
I bought the exact same remote. I'll post a pic of the remote/fob this weekend. Would I still need to find the alarm brain before programming the remote? The instructions I received with it said something like that but I didn't know where it was.

No, the factory alarm does not do it even though there is a trunk solenoid. Ridiculous, really. The fob even has a button blank where a trunk pop would go.

The picture you show is at least one of the rolling code models so it's not a super old school alarm. I would guess it's one of the HFs, like the 500HF or 800HF. But like egprelude says, the vipers have been using mostly the same programming procedure for several years. What did you want to do?

Malibu Rapper said:
What did you want to do?
Got the remote that came with the car that works fine. Just want to get the backup to work as well since it's not programmed yet. Can I do this without knowing where the alarm brain is?

SoCalDude said:
Got the remote that came with the car that works fine. Just want to get the backup to work as well since it's not programmed yet. Can I do this without knowing where the alarm brain is?

Yes, if you can find the valet switch. A clever installer can put this switch anywhere though. It's basically a black button, usually the wire that runs to the button is a flat, thin gray wire. You can follow those procedures that you have if you can find that button. :)

Looks a lot like the switch below except that the collar around the button is chome. There is part that is right under the button is a threaded so that what you do is you drill I think a 5/16" hole, push the head of the button through the hole, and use a nut to tighten the button down from the top. The button is usually harder to find than the brain. But if you can peek behind and find that gray wire, you can trace it to the button most of the time. It all depends how clever your installer was. Look for a shiny little black button with a thin chrome hex nut around it. It is possible to leave this valet button out as well but most installers will put it in.

switch8631lg.jpg

Malibu Rapper said:
Yes, if you can find the valet switch. A clever installer can put this switch anywhere though. It's basically a black button, usually the wire that runs to the button is a flat, thin gray wire. You can follow those procedures that you have if you can find that button. :)

Looks a lot like the switch below except that the collar around the button is chome. There is part that is right under the button is a threaded so that what you do is you drill I think a 5/16" hole, push the head of the button through the hole, and use a nut to tighten the button down from the top. The button is usually harder to find than the brain. But if you can peek behind and find that gray wire, you can trace it to the button most of the time. It all depends how clever your installer was. Look for a shiny little black button with a thin chrome hex nut around it. It is possible to leave this valet button out as well but most installers will put it in.

switch8631lg.jpg

These are correct except it doesn't necessarily have to have a chrome collar.
Some ESP/ESP2 models have the exact same valet swtich as posted^^ and those have the same type of remote.

Basically, you want to look for some type of push button maybe under the dash somewhere. IF you really cannot find it, you can take your LED that blinks when you arm the car, trace that wire back to the BRAIN, and then follow the gray/black wire to the valet switch.

Again, you wouldn't need to find the brain unless you really can't find the valet switch. Heck, I don't even put a valet switch in my installs most of the time. But most often than not, there should be one.

egprelude said:
Basically, you want to look for some type of push button maybe under the dash somewhere. IF you really cannot find it, you can take your LED that blinks when you arm the car, trace that wire back to the BRAIN, and then follow the gray/black wire to the valet switch.

Again, you wouldn't need to find the brain unless you really can't find the valet switch. Heck, I don't even put a valet switch in my installs most of the time. But most often than not, there should be one.
So far I can't find the brain or valet switch. I'll try again. Is the valet switch usually on the drivers side?

SoCalDude said:
So far I can't find the brain or valet switch. I'll try again. Is the valet switch usually on the drivers side?

For the sake of programming, it's easier if it's on the driver side or within driver reach. But that does not mean it is on that side, it can literally go anywhere. Good installers hide it really well, could be hidden in ashtrays, glove compartment, anywhere, or even nowhere to be found as they could leave it out completely.

There is a good chance the alarm is somewhere near the OEM alarm as a lot of the inputs can be tapped from the OEM security unit. This is the area above the subwoofer on the passenger side.

Back