• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How fast have you taken your NSX up to?

Originally posted by CmputerWiz:
I was not aware the gearing on the 5-speeds would allow for such a high speed. WOO! :: looks for a straight track ::

SR
fact is I did not know what the gearing would allow until I just read your post, so I went to the faq and it says the 5 speed tops out at 186 from gearing
best regards david
ps I think the lower stated limit of 167 is due to wind drag

I think the 168 limit is attributed to more than just wind drag. How about rolling resistance of tires, other frictional forces, and the fact that HP is levelling off and/or decreasing as function of RPM now, rather than increasing.

I don't have the exact equation, but I can guarantee you, it is a differential equation with all of the above rapped up into it.

Engine HP is going to be a function of air density and humidity. Wind drag won't care about humidity directly, but will be a function of air density (which may have contributing factors related to humidity).

Originally posted by AndyVecsey:
I have 4.55:1 and short gears (however, short gears affect only 2nd, 3rd, 4th) and hit 163 MPH at 7500 RPM.....doing the math says 174 at 8000 RPM

Doing the math, the 4.55 ring and pinion should drop your redline in fifth from 186 mph to 166 mph, not 174. 186 * 4.062 / 4.55 = 166.

Originally posted by AndyVecsey:
doesn't the rev limiter engage at 8250 RPM?

I believe the rev limiter engages at 8000 RPM, but that the tachometer indicates 8250 at this point, due to tach error. No?

Be careful out there, gang. I got caught by the cops cranking out some big numbers like this and I got to see guns drawn and some very upset police. I did not even know that they were trying to catch me until after I had stopped for a light. They only good thing is that I did not lose my license and the only reason for that is that they were not able to clock me. And whatever you do, be safe.

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

If they didn't clock you, then they shouldn't have a case. I'm no lawyer, far from it actually. But I've had my share of tickets. But I recall getting a ticket on my bike but the officer never clocked me. When I was in court and fought the ticket, the judge seemed frustrated that the cop even gave me a ticket and dismissed it right away.
smile.gif
Maybe Texas is different, I get lots of minor offense tickets and get them dismissed with my lawyer.

Originally posted by JPS Europa:
Be careful out there, gang. I got caught by the cops cranking out some big numbers like this and I got to see guns drawn and some very upset police. I did not even know that they were trying to catch me until after I had stopped for a light. They only good thing is that I did not lose my license and the only reason for that is that they were not able to clock me. And whatever you do, be safe.

Originally posted by NSX FoYoAss:
If they didn't clock you, then they shouldn't have a case.

Yeah, right. All they need to do is claim that they clocked you. If it goes to court, it will be your word against theirs. Wanna guess who usually wins?

Sometimes, you know that they never clocked you, because (a) the terrain is wide open and you never saw anyone, and (b) the speed they claim that they clocked you at is much, much slower than the speed that you were actually driving. For example:

fd048744.jpg

True true, I guess I was lucky then and speaking from personal experience.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Yeah, right. All they need to do is claim that they clocked you. If it goes to court, it will be your word against theirs. Wanna guess who usually wins?

Originally posted by NSX FoYoAss:
True true, I guess I was lucky then and speaking from personal experience.

And I was lucky or unlucky (depending on how you view getting a ticket for less than you were going) and also speaking from personal experience.

175 mph in my 01 996 TT
160 mph in my 99 NSX T

Open roads...the tracks in Southern California (Fontana excepted) don't lend themselves to really high speed motoring.....
WSIR in the tt top speed 145mph on the front straight.

[This message has been edited by kinnsella (edited 28 March 2003).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

Sometimes, you know that they never clocked you, because (a) the terrain is wide open and you never saw anyone, and (b) the speed they claim that they clocked you at is much, much slower than the speed that you were actually driving. For example:

fd048744.jpg

NSXTASY:
Just curious, do you know anyone there? or were you there?
how fast they actually drive? and do you know how much was the fine?

[This message has been edited by NSXER119 (edited 28 March 2003).]

Originally posted by NSXER119:
NSXTASY:
Just curious, do you know anyone there? or were you there?
how fast they actually drive? and do you know how much was the fine?

Yes. Yes. I'd rather not say, but it was a lot faster. Yes.

We learned that (a) you are a lot more likely to get picked up if you're going really fast as part of a group than if you do it alone, because it increases the chances that other drivers are going to call the authorities on their cell phones; but (b) you can negotiate a sweetheart settlement if you have a lot of people that they don't want heard as separate court cases. Typically, someone caught going that fast alone (particularly in a rural jurisdiction like ours) can expect to pay a very stiff fine (e.g. $1000) and possibly spend a night in jail...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 March 2003).]

Back