• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How hard is DIY alarm system install?

How hard is it to install an alarm system?

I have a viper alarm that doesnt make any noise or immobilize right now. I will lock and unlock the doors. I think I need an upgrade.

I can install a A/V system and Avic-D3 myself in my SUV. so Im pretty handy. I just hate the idea of looking for an installer and have his teenager worker installer put in my alarm.

any tips or recommendations?

I would pay for an installer if he is reasonable and reputable. Im in the so cal - SGV area

It can be difficult if you don't have the right tools and connectors and if you are not proficient at finding wires. Most of the wires you want to find can are at the security control unit above the subwoofer.

That being said, I don't trust anyone else but myself to install alarms in my cars. I take the time to solder wires wherever possible and avoid shortcuts. It can be a daunting experience your first time, troubleshooting can be very difficult. I'd say it's quite a bit different than installing an audio/video system. AV installers sometimes never install alarms.

If your current alarm doesn't immobilize right now, it might just be a matter of installing a starter kill relay and a siren to make noise. That's a lot easier than installing an alarm. But also by the same token, a lot of your wires must have already been found by the previous alarm install.

If I had to choose between you and an equipped & experienced alarm installer to put in an alarm, I would choose the installer. Even if he's only installed 3 or 4 alarms. :) Even just doing a few of these gives you a lot of good experience and you just have to have the right tools and connectors.

Hey there

It is not that hard at all.

The tricky part is not finding the wires but rather figuring out the alarm system.

I would recommend stay away from a .... ebay no name brand. Often the wiring diagrams are not in english or the wiring diagrams for the alarm does not match that of the alarm system.

I would spend 300$+ on a good US manufacture like a VIPER and then the self install would be MUCH MUCH easier.

If you have wiring experenince, it will be a sinch.

Give it a shot. its easier than you think

being a mechanic, i have seen my fair share of "profeshional" alarm installs. its a joke. i have yet to see one that is clean and well done with out loose wires and modules stuck i which ever crack and cranny will fit. if your only paying someone 100$ to put it in... that means they have less than 1 hour and a half to do it. they'll try and slam it in as fast as they can which is not in your best interest.

on my supra when i wired the alarm, it took me about 6 hours to route everything cleanly and make all the adjustment i saw fit. Im very good at wiring and it is the least amount of time which i would have needed to make sure everything is up to my standards, ofcourse it a more complex system with pager and feedback .

also with the nsx, wiring is different than FR setup where most of the wiring can be accessed from under the dash. with the nsx, the tech has to roll around in the seat so gota make sure no damage is done to the leather.

the rear panels are tricky to take off and if done wrong can bend and damage the rear card board backing resulting in panels falling off regularly after damaged.

I would take my time and diy since you'll take care of the car or get good tech to install the alarm for you who knows their way around the nsx.

regards

Rob

Last edited:
Back