• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How is the new NSX supposed to compete with this???

The Porsche is a very competent car ...... However, it's just the same old body style constantly. (And .... I do recognize that the company does not want to change it.)
It makes me chuckle when I see magazine headlines touting: Spied !!! The 20xx Porsche !! .... I always think to myself: 'Gee, it looks just like the 19xx version' ..... :biggrin:

I concur. At the very least, they should have chose proportions that resemble the original NSX or MID4 from the 80s, instead of a stretched out Bug. I don't think anyone would complain about 40-50 years of NSX proportions. Heck the NSX styling is still going strong for over 20 years now.

I want a steering wheel with a flat top and bottom like that 458... That may be my next mod...

I concur. At the very least, they should have chose proportions that resemble the original NSX or MID4 from the 80s, instead of a stretched out Bug. I don't think anyone would complain about 40-50 years of NSX proportions. Heck the NSX styling is still going strong for over 20 years now.

In 2010 I sold my 2005 NSX because I was done with sports cars ha! FF to 2012-13. Decided to get another 'fun" car. Purchased a '13 M3- nice car, but not for me. Since there was no new NSX yet or C7 (at the time) decided to purchase
a 991S. Fantastic car, but still keeping my eyes on what Acura decides to give us in 2015. The more photos I see, the less I like by just comparing the "looks" to my 991.... let alone whatever the performance ends up to be.

Porsche has managed to evolve the styling of the 911 through the years by not alienating current owners. The only feature that is the same on the 991 compared to the 997 are the door handles, but they manage get the message across.

I have to stretch my imagination to see resemblance or heritage to the original NSX's I've owned (5). Maybe I'm missing something, but the more I see....well I don't "drink 'em pretty" anymore.

P1010809_zps504a1e33.jpg~original

Last edited:
Well we've been told the final design is more classy and less racy than the concept so hopefully we'll know more in January at the NAIAS. I like the new design but to purchase I'll be waiting for the vert.

Well we've been told the final design is more classy and less racy than the concept so hopefully we'll know more in January at the NAIAS. I like the new design but to purchase I'll be waiting for the vert.

What's wrong with racy ? Isn't this vehicle supposed to be in the exotic category .... Classy is for luxury cars, no ?? :confused:
I sure hope it looks very much like the concept; that would be a sales winner!!

What's wrong with racy ? Isn't this vehicle supposed to be in the exotic category .... Classy is for luxury cars, no ?? :confused:
I sure hope it looks very much like the concept; that would be a sales winner!!

I'm not sure what wingz meant exactly but the way I'd interpret classy would be something more conservative, organic/smooth/free flowing, and minimal. It's not tied to the type of car so much as how cutting edge and "different" the car tries to be. A Porsche 911, Ford GT, and Jaguar CX75 are a few that are "classy" in my mind. The Mclaren P1, Corvette C7, BMW M4, Lamborghinis, etc that have a lot more superfluous detailing (to be fair in cars like the P1 its actually functional detailing), hard edges and lines, random vents/ducts/scoops would be on the racey side. JMHO

If they wanted to make the concept less racey they could smooth the front bumper surfaces (those little flaps that fold around under the headlights) into something a bit more seamless, remove some of the body creases (the beak... please kill the beak), put normal wheels on the car, simplify the rear valence, etc.

Sorry guys can't find the quote where he said "classy" although I'm sure that's what he first said. I'll keep looking though. Until then here's the last interview where he mentioned it will look better than the the concept.

And what about that simply jaw-dropping exterior? "There won't be any more concept versions, just the actual version, and that car will look even better on the outside, believe me," he says with a smile.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/New-Honda-NSX-aims-for-Ferrari-458-2013-09-10

I hope it won't be too tall in production form.

Porsche has managed to evolve the styling of the 911 through the years by not alienating current owners. The only feature that is the same on the 991 compared to the 997 are the door handles, but they manage get the message across.

I have to stretch my imagination to see resemblance or heritage to the original NSX's I've owned (5). Maybe I'm missing something, but the more I see....well I don't "drink 'em pretty" anymore.

I have to agree with Hothonda. while i'm not particularly a Porsche 911 fan, I do love that Porsche has kept the heritage of that car so recognisable for so long. any 911 you see, be it from the 70's or 2000's, is absolutely a 911. some people may not like that about Porsche 911's, but I bet all of the 911 owners do...

- - - Updated - - -

the beak... please kill the beak

yes, please do kill that beak!

In 2010 I sold my 2005 NSX because I was done with sports cars ha! FF to 2012-13. Decided to get another 'fun" car. Purchased a '13 M3- nice car, but not for me. Since there was no new NSX yet or C7 (at the time) decided to purchase
a 991S. Fantastic car, but still keeping my eyes on what Acura decides to give us in 2015. The more photos I see, the less I like by just comparing the "looks" to my 991.... let alone whatever the performance ends up to be.

Nice white 991 cs... I see you have the Sportdesign package....does the front fascia scrape easier with the reduced angle of approach? Thanks.

After listening to Ted Klaus at NSXPO, I am even more convinced of my first assessment: the new NSX will not be competitive in the way most consumers view "competitive" with the Ferrari 458. Of course marketing won't come right out and say that and neither will Ted Klaus, but it is perfectly evident if you read between the lines. They are simply redefining "competitive" to include the ownership experience. For example, frustrations with the 458 trunk space, or seat controls, or ability to casually drive it through town all factor in to their measure of 458 vs NSX. Thus the overall "experience" of owning a NSX will be competitive with the overall experience of owning a 458.

As far as I am concerned, that's just a marketing gimmick. Given the anticipated wide price gap between the two vehicles, I didn't expect it to compete and I believe my expectations are right on target. Ferrari has upped their game since 1991 and there won't be a repeat of the NSX putting a better car to market and a significantly lower price in my opinion.

After listening to Ted Klaus at NSXPO, I am even more convinced of my first assessment: the new NSX will not be competitive in the way most consumers view "competitive" with the Ferrari 458. Of course marketing won't come right out and say that and neither will Ted Klaus, but it is perfectly evident if you read between the lines. They are simply redefining "competitive" to include the ownership experience. For example, frustrations with the 458 trunk space, or seat controls, or ability to casually drive it through town all factor in to their measure of 458 vs NSX. Thus the overall "experience" of owning a NSX will be competitive with the overall experience of owning a 458.

As far as I am concerned, that's just a marketing gimmick. Given the anticipated wide price gap between the two vehicles, I didn't expect it to compete and I believe my expectations are right on target. Ferrari has upped their game since 1991 and there won't be a repeat of the NSX putting a better car to market and a significantly lower price in my opinion.

You may have a point, however....I do not think Ferrari 458 and the GT3 have much difference in pure performance and yet the 458 is priced as it is because it is a Ferrari and can get away with that.

Therefore, while the NSX may or may not equal the 458 in performance, it will NOT be because of the price differential.

That the GT3 can essentially match [and some feel exceed] the 458's performance with "only" 475 HP gives me hope that the NSX with around 500 HP and a light well balanced chassis can do the same.

The GT3 is around 3200 lbs or a little less. If the NSX can be around that weight with around 500 HP, it could do wonders.
The GT3 has a torque of about 324 ft.lb. The NSX with a tuned 3.5 li NA engine and batteries with instant torque, should be able to exceed that handily.
The NSX will have its engine in the right place, like the 458 and should have a great handling advantage given that the centrally and low placed batteries should help.

If the NSX can provide this level of performance for about the price of the GT3, then the question will be not whether to buy the Ferrari or the GT3 or the NSX...those who want the Ferrari for its intoxicating sounds and unbeatable presence and bragging rights of owning a Ferrari, will still buy the Ferrari. The question will be, whether the GT3 with its NA 3.8, made in Germany badge, 911 heritage, non extotic but great looks.......or......the NSX with its 3.5li Honda engine and electric motors, exotic looks[low and wide], with superb interior and comfort and performance, with a made in Ohio badge. It will be a tough call and a great time for car lovers.:cool:

I agree, the GT3 is a much stronger benchmark for Acura to aim for. I just worry that when the next generation GT3 with a hybrid drive system comes out, the NSX will deservedly be labeled "underpowered". I also fully recognize that the marketing team *should* be using the 458 as its competitive point if they want to sell cars (and which company doesn't), I just think they are setting themselves up for massive blowback from the automotive press and owners when people realize that "competitive with a Ferrari 458" comes with a lot of fine print.

Side note - me personally, I am on board with lower powered, more usable vehicles. My current NSX is plenty fast for my needs, and I much prefer the pleasant, lower hassle ownership experience. However, I don't pretend to claim that my NSX competes with the Ferrari 360.

Side note - me personally, I am on board with lower powered, more usable vehicles. My current NSX is plenty fast for my needs, and I much prefer the pleasant, lower hassle ownership experience. However, I don't pretend to claim that my NSX competes with the Ferrari 360.

Smart man.
Peace of mind is the ultimate luxury :)

Nice white 991 cs... I see you have the Sportdesign package....does the front fascia scrape easier with the reduced angle of approach? Thanks.

Lowered my previous NSX's w/Bilsteins set on the lower perch. Learned quickly what was go-no go.

The Sport Design w/optional SPASM suspension (Porsche talk for 20MM lower springs than the base car) is about the same clearance - 5.75" from the spoiler to the ground.

What exactly do you mean by "go-no go"? I am about to install new Bilsteins and was leaning toward lower perch .. are you saying that wouldn't be wise? And if so, why, in your experience?

Hi Ian...Meant I learned from experience when approaching a driveway or slope - either take it at an angle or just skip completely (go or no-go).

The lower perch/Bilstein setup was a great way to lower my NSX's!

that is one beautiful and classy 991.

ive see black, white, blue 991 in person. the car looks incredibly hot in all colors.

True that!
That picture is great with just the perfect angle of view.

Someone with photoshop skills please show us this picture in different colors to help those deciding which color to go with :)

Hey Blue did he sound like they're going to "Turbo it" lol I ask as apparently you guys asked Ted "dumb questions"

RolledaNsx wrote:
From the NSX club meet in NC.

They asked Ted dumb questions.

Will it have the beak? yes

Would it look like the car at Mid-Ohio? No....it will look like the Concept at Detroit.

the mule at mid-ohio was just for testing suspensions'

Will it come in three versions? No

Just like the first NSX,down the road there will be special editions but not the first couple of years.

Only about a 1000 will be made a year.

Priced to beat the R8 with performance of the 458.

Will have less rear view than concept.

Last edited:
Back