• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How is the new NSX supposed to compete with this???

I am under the impression the powertrain in the car at Mid Ohio was not production. The actual powertrain is much more powerful. But, Like most things it's all up in the air and only those that are NOT going to say anything are truly in the know... But I do know they are on the site here looking and reading people's insights.

Guess you didn't see this

Honda won't price it above as the Japanese always price lower than the Germans...
If it's $114k, I'll buy you one. No R8 is $115k, nor is any 911 ever $84k. For reference, use ~$135k for an R8 and ~$115k for a 911.

Dunno why you're always harping on the price (guesstimating/stating being so low)... :D

LOL Why do you guys keep trying to make it more than competition?? If a 911 GT3 STARTS at $131k why would they price the NSX at that price. MT magazine came out saying the car would be $130k and like ALWAYS they were WRONG but some of you jumped on that and just made it more and more expensive for what I dunno. I'm not guessing low by any means just looking at market and where it's built. I believe you on the reference for Audi and Porsche but the Japanese don't price like the Germans.

- - - Updated - - -

I am under the impression the powertrain in the car at Mid Ohio was not production. The actual powertrain is much more powerful. But, Like most things it's all up in the air and only those that are NOT going to say anything are truly in the know... But I do know they are on the site here looking and reading people's insights.

The NSX prototype will lap Mid-Ohio ahead of the race’s start, giving spectators their first audible taste of Acura’s resurrected supercar. Acura promises the test car will use the same V-6 engine and three-motor hybrid setup that comprises the brand’s new Sport Hybrid Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive system (SH-AWD). The new NSX will launch in 2015, so there’s still time for Acura to bandy a few more NSXs about . . . Regardless, we can’t wait to hear what the mid-engined supercar sounds like.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/acura-nsx-prototype-with-production-powertrain-to-pre-run-indy-200-race/

(VIDEO) The new NSX powertrain demonstrated next August on a race track
30 July 2013
Update of July 27th article with a new video teaser

Here is an unusual premiere, Honda which has already introduced a concept that foreshadows their next hybrid supercar, the new NSX under the Acura badge first in Detroit and then Honda at the Geneva Motor Show (also remember its featuring in the Avengers movie) will show and race a prototype fitted with the final powertrain next August at the opening of an IndyCar race.
http://www.technologicvehicles.com/en/green-transportation-news/2535/video-the-new-nsx-powertrain-demonstrated-nex

As you see it's not just Car and Driver Acura told other mags this as well and didn't change the story or ask for a correction. Just because it has the right engine and tranny it doesn't need cat's/exhaust for track so it's louder. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
I totally disagree. Honda's glorious F1 years were with Turbo engines, and they offered turbo option on the Honda City, Legend, etc. They have the expertise.

Part of the problem with the original NSX is the limitation on the engine size. It went from 3.0 to 3.2 with 20 HP gain with no chance of improvement.

If they want to keep using V6, they have to turbo the car to keep the car competitive.

With turbo, you can easily double the HP figure of what NA can produce, and will be an instant seller.

I totally disagree. Honda's glorious F1 years were with Turbo engines, and they offered turbo option on the Honda City, Legend, etc. They have the expertise.

Part of the problem with the original NSX is the limitation on the engine size. It went from 3.0 to 3.2 with 20 HP gain with no chance of improvement.

If they want to keep using V6, they have to turbo the car to keep the car competitive.

With turbo, you can easily double the HP figure of what NA can produce, and will be an instant seller.

GT3 and regular 911 are competitive. It's how you tune it. The instant TQ motors is a elegant solution to a turbo. I'm more than willing to see how they tune the three motors. I honestly don't believe the car needs more than 500hp or it will be a failure because Honda keeps telling us over and over again who the car is competing against but most of you guys are in serious denial about that too. When Ted Klause said that the car won't out drag all Corvettes you guys just blow right by that and think it will hang with the GTR but guess what the GTR DOES out drag all Corvettes. So for that matter does the 458. 1+1 equals what???

The instant TQ motors is a elegant solution to a turbo. I'm more than willing to see how they tune the three motors.

I don't think it is an elegant solution at all. Unless they figured out a way to get unlimited power from the batteries, it feels forced. There is no way to guarantee that there will be power in the batteries to draw from.

I don't think it is an elegant solution at all. Unless they figured out a way to get unlimited power from the batteries, it feels forced. There is no way to guarantee that there will be power in the batteries to draw from.

Exactly, consistency and reliability is an issue for the e-motors. I guesstimate 3 hard launches before the batteries need a recharge for atleast an hour before being used again at that capacity

Exactly, consistency and reliability is an issue for the e-motors. I guesstimate 3 hard launches before the batteries need a recharge for atleast an hour before being used again at that capacity

It is from the standpoint that it adds tq quicker than a turbo but also allows increased fuel efficiency which is the only way they were going to get Ito to green light it. The insiders who wanted the NSX back had to get past Captain green ANOTHER thing a lot of you keep forgetting about. Without this tech we would not be seeing the NSX again.

It is from the standpoint that it adds tq quicker than a turbo but also allows increased fuel efficiency which is the only way they were going to get Ito to green light it. The insiders who wanted the NSX back had to get past Captain green ANOTHER thing a lot of you keep forgetting about. Without this tech we would not be seeing the NSX again.

I am not doubting this, but it feels like tech for tech's sake. Inelegant. For me, it is one of two aspects I have a wait and see attitude on. The other being, guess what, the nose. The rest for me is almost a slam dunk, even with flappy paddles.

let's face it, some times Honda really needs to pull their head out from their arse. their philosophy for making motorcycles is much the same. when half of NSXprime hasn't decided if they yet like the new car, they're not doing something right.

GT3 and regular 911 are competitive. It's how you tune it. The instant TQ motors is a elegant solution to a turbo. I'm more than willing to see how they tune the three motors. I honestly don't believe the car needs more than 500hp or it will be a failure because Honda keeps telling us over and over again who the car is competing against but most of you guys are in serious denial about that too. When Ted Klause said that the car won't out drag all Corvettes you guys just blow right by that and think it will hang with the GTR but guess what the GTR DOES out drag all Corvettes. So for that matter does the 458. 1+1 equals what???

Honda won't price it above as the Japanese always price lower than the Germans. BTW I'm not concerned with HP as Porsche has done great things with 400hp 911's. It's all how you tweak it.

no question there, Porsche does amazing things with their 6's. the GT3 makes 475 horsepower out of its 3.8 litre engine. the Turbo S makes 560hp. if Honda wanted to make massive power out of a six-cylinder, they could also. i do not doubt they have as much engineering prowess as anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

this should only be a problem if you're taking the car to the dragstrip for the evening. or having a really tight race with a GTR at every single traffic light you come to!

Last edited:
no question there, Porsche does amazing things with their 6's. the GT3 makes 475 horsepower out of its 3.8 litre engine. the Turbo S makes 560hp. if Honda wanted to make massive power out of a six-cylinder, they could also. i do not doubt they have as much engineering prowess as anyone.

Benchmarks for the NSX IMO (GTR, GT3, McLaren):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocSjiJbevaU

Last edited:
that competition is massively tough. those new Porsches are sick, and the new GT3 is simply amazing. the biggest shocker for me is how good it sounds. there is no small feat ahead for Honda...

If it's $114k, I'll buy you one. No R8 is $115k, nor is any 911 ever $84k. For reference, use ~$135k for an R8 and ~$115k for a 911.

Dunno why you're always harping on the price (guesstimating/stating being so low)... :D

Lightly optioned 2013 991S (built 10/12)....cars manufactured after 1/1/13 about 3% higher - accessory prices remained the same. GT3 w/a few extra necessities will easily hit $145K +TTL

P1010671_zps5787a5ab.jpg

If you knock off the SportDesign Package, electric sunroof, audio package, sports exhaust, and sport chrono package - you're looking chopping off almost $15k ... so $111k sticker. That's not too bad.

That's the thing though the Europeans will option the sh*t out of you the Japanese don't do that. Whenever you compare a German to a Japanese car base to base the Japanese will include pretty much everything that's "optional" on German cars. Honda just tried the German thing with the RLX. Base price not including a leather interior and it's not going well. They overpriced the car and it's already selling well below sticker. Car isn't even 6mos old yet. Porsche can get away with asking almost $100k for a car w/o leather. Let's see Honda try that:rolleyes:

That's the thing though the Europeans will option the sh*t out of you the Japanese don't do that. Whenever you compare a German to a Japanese car base to base the Japanese will include pretty much everything that's "optional" on German cars. Honda just tried the German thing with the RLX. Base price not including a leather interior and it's not going well. They overpriced the car and it's already selling well below sticker. Car isn't even 6mos old yet. Porsche can get away with asking almost $100k for a car w/o leather. Let's see Honda try that:rolleyes:

Correct...Porsche has the system figured out.

Last edited:
Correct...Porsche has the system figured out.

Brother do they ever lol! I was just looking at this article and with options they want $70k for a car with less straight line ability than the old 3.0 NSX. Only Porsche could do this with a straight face.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-porsche-cayman-manual-test-review

If Honda or Toyota tried to sell this kind of performance at this price all types of holy hell would be raised and they would be bad mouthed beyond belief! When the R8 first came out so many people said this is the NSX successor! Now that their making a car to compete with the R8 that's not good enough and it must be a Ferrari slayer (even though the R8 wasn't/isn't). It's almost like slapstick:biggrin:

Last edited:
Porsche has had years of beating the same drum to get to the point of being able to charge for what they do. You have to remember, they went through some lean years in the 80s and 90s when Honda was kicking ass and taking names. Honda had an opportunity with Acura and they blew it. Lexus is in the position Acura could have been. So now Honda has to prove themselves once more.

On a side note, why is it that British automobile video journalism is so good? I guess Chris Harris with Drive could technically be considered American...

Porsche don't have the tits clean reputation as Honda on reliability.

While NA2 NSX was competitive, but the figures didn't sell when you can spend half the money for the same amount of HP.

Nissan got it right with the GTR, initial HP figure was under 500, and it increases it every other year simply by switching the boost, and the car is still the monster to beat with practically no changes.

I think Turbo is inevitable for Honda if hope to sell this car in mass quantity. You can't charge more for less performance than GTR simply because it is aluminum.

It is nice to say "i run in the 3's 0-60" but lets face it. If it is supposed to be a drivers car the Ferrari is not, same with the new Vette and many others. For me its still about the twisties and my stock suspension '91 gives all these new cars hell around here. I hope their target is the GT-R and Porsche. I'm not going to run into a 458 so I dont have to worry about it.

I think this blows the 2nd generation out of the water and based on what we've seen, compared to this....we can be happy with the 1st generation and move on to better things.( I was hoping honda would have been closer to this.)

three-rotor turbocharged rotary engine developing more than 700hp
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1024867_x3-concept-based-on-mazda-rx-7

I think Turbo is inevitable for Honda if hope to sell this car in mass quantity. You can't charge more for less performance than GTR simply because it is aluminum.

Honda has already announced they won't make more than 900 a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow so it's interesting that a year before Ted Klaus and Honda confirmed it Car and Driver has pretty much nailed it. Think they have an "inside source"?? This article is from March 2012.

Unlike the nearly half-million-dollar LFA from Acura’s Japanese luxury-car competitor, Lexus, the new NSX should be within reach of the merely rich. We estimate the price to be between the cost of a Porsche 911 and an Audi R8, both prime competitors. So plan on an entry figure of about $110,000.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2015-acura-nsx-future-cars

Honda can't (or won't) compete. The next NSX is going to have as big an impact as the ISF did to the M3 market. Some people will buy it, but it's not going to affect that crowd too much.

Unless they've been misleading us all and keeping the lids on their 500+ hp engine/hybrid system.

Everything already sounds mundane: Hybrid, no manual transmission, etc.etc. Don't get me wrong, they are all technological marvels. But if you want to know how much SHAWD helps with sales or making a product look/sound sexy, look at the Acura RL (or whatever they call it now).

The new NSX bears no resemblance/heritage to the original NSX except a name, which they are only using to leverage our great history.

Honda can't (or won't) compete. The next NSX is going to have as big an impact as the ISF did to the M3 market. Some people will buy it, but it's not going to affect that crowd too much.

Unless they've been misleading us all and keeping the lids on their 500+ hp engine/hybrid system.

Everything already sounds mundane: Hybrid, no manual transmission, etc.etc. Don't get me wrong, they are all technological marvels. But if you want to know how much SHAWD helps with sales or making a product look/sound sexy, look at the Acura RL (or whatever they call it now).

The new NSX bears no resemblance/heritage to the original NSX except a name, which they are only using to leverage our great history.

LOL Honda hasn't mislead us unless you follow the "insiders" who say this will be a $150k+ 600hp turbo monster:wink:

Back