• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long should shocks and springs last? Getting more and more rub on front fenders.

Hello! So, back around 80,000 miles or so, I put Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and Bilstein Sport shocks on my 1994 NSX. Now that I am over 200,000 miles, I have noticed that for the past year or so, there is becoming more and more rub on the fenders and fender liners when turning, and it apprears that one of the wheels is actually tucked inside the wheel well, while the other is getting close to being tucked in. What I am trying to figure out is how long shocks and springs should last, and what I need to do to fix this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

~ Mitch ~

HI Mitch,

Unfortunately the Eibach's do sag over time. I am about the pull mine and go back to stock. Mine are over 10 years old, and they are done.

HTH,
LarryB

HI Mitch,

Unfortunately the Eibach's do sag over time. I am about the pull mine and go back to stock. Mine are over 10 years old, and they are done.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, wondering about your opinion on stock springs/shocks on a /94 with 45,000 miles on the clock -- no evidence of leaking and no softness but ride quality of car is just plain horrible on our horrific roads around the greater Detroit area. I guess my question is do the shocks/springs degrade with passage of time (not just mileage) such that replacment of same might make car handle a bit better and improve the ride. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Jeff

The Bilstein sport shocks - like most aftermarket shocks - come with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. If they are showing clear signs of problems - such as leakage - Bilstein will be happy to exchange them for new. Since it's a matter of just not feeling all that crisp any more, I'd give them a call and see what they can do for you. Maybe they'll exchange them for new at no charge, and even if they don't, maybe they'll cut you a special deal on a new set.

HI Mitch,

HTH,
LarryB

Thank you, Larry. I appreciate that. Sounds like time for a suspension upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

The Bilstein sport shocks - like most aftermarket shocks - come with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. If they are showing clear signs of problems - such as leakage - Bilstein will be happy to exchange them for new. Since it's a matter of just not feeling all that crisp any more, I'd give them a call and see what they can do for you. Maybe they'll exchange them for new at no charge, and even if they don't, maybe they'll cut you a special deal on a new set.

Thank you, Ken! I will put the car up in the air and check it out. I appreciate the heads up.

My stock shocks and springs started feeling really tired and exhibiting the same symptoms around 90k miles. I'm pretty sure it was just the springs but I replaced both springs and shocks just to be safe.

Same boat, '91 w/96k miles, not bad but just not the crisp response I had when I purchased her 12 years ago. Not a track guy but do like to push her a little on the back road twisties. Would like to go just a little beyond stock setup. Recommendations?

Same boat, '91 w/96k miles, not bad but just not the crisp response I had when I purchased her 12 years ago. Not a track guy but do like to push her a little on the back road twisties. Would like to go just a little beyond stock setup. Recommendations?
New Bilstein shocks. (That's exactly the reason I replaced my stock shocks with Bilsteins when I did.)

What about the non compliance bushings and toe links and/or heavier sway bars?

What about the non compliance bushings and toe links and/or heavier sway bars?
I wouldn't bother. If your suspension is in good condition, those items aren't going to make a huge difference, especially since you don't track the car. Change the shocks and see how you like it then.

My old RX300 needed new struts at 60,000 and 120,000 almost on the dot. But it was because they essentially rushed into the SUV market and used the ES300 suspension but with 600 more pounds. My Integra also needed new struts around 90,000 miles. Meeyatch your car is gorgeous, I'm surprised you haven't completely taken apart the shocks and reassembled them back in the same manner they did at the Bilstein factory using only Bilstein bolts, washers, oil, valves, bushings... I kid, I kid, I've seen your reassembly of your car from practically a bare frame and I have to commend you for the level of detail and care you have put into it.

Yes it could be time for a shocks upgrade and springs do sag a bit overtime but also tires matter,either go a size smaller or choose a tire manufacturer that is a bit smaller then others

I replaced mine around 117k; I also think Bilstein HD on stock springs is the best option both price and performance.

I replaced mine around 117k; I also think Bilstein HD on stock springs is the best option both price and performance.
how did that compare to oem shocks for handling and ride?

Another datapoint. I too have the Eibach/Bilstein combo and have gotten noticeably lower over the 18 months/37K miles I have driven the car. Unfortunately I am sagging more on the right side than the left side for whatever reason. I need to replace the suspension soon.

Ride is very compliant. Handling improved but I did few other mods almost immediately after (sways, front compliance clamp, tires) and can't eval just shocks. I think it's great combo if you don't want to go BC or KW coils etc;
It's cheap ($550 for shocks or smth like that) and super streetable. I think if you compare to adjustable koni yellow it may be close to 50-60% stiffness koni vs bilstein. I would def go the same route unless setting up suspension for specific track.

I just put used Bilstein with TEIN springs that I purchased from a fellow Prime member. I moved the springs to the top perch. So far so good. It did lower the car a bit. If you are sagging, its the springs. Shocks absorb rebound, so if your rebound is OK, then your springs maybe the issue. I also have an R brace under the batter area and will be putting the front brace on next week. That lower brace really helps keep the front end stable.

I did that same swap, OEM shocks for Bilsteins, keeping the springs and the rest of the suspension stock. I thought it compared very well. In terms of handling, the Bilsteins handled much better than the OEM shocks, but keep in mind my OEM shocks were old and had gotten quite a workout. I think the Bilsteins handled with the same crispness as the OEM shocks when the latter were brand new. As for ride comfort, the Bilsteins offer similar ride comfort to the stock shocks (again, when new); they're very comfortable around town and on the highway, and when you're screaming through turns, they firm up nicely. That's why that's such a great combination.

My old RX300 needed new struts at 60,000 and 120,000 almost on the dot. But it was because they essentially rushed into the SUV market and used the ES300 suspension but with 600 more pounds. My Integra also needed new struts around 90,000 miles. Meeyatch your car is gorgeous, I'm surprised you haven't completely taken apart the shocks and reassembled them back in the same manner they did at the Bilstein factory using only Bilstein bolts, washers, oil, valves, bushings... I kid, I kid, I've seen your reassembly of your car from practically a bare frame and I have to commend you for the level of detail and care you have put into it.

Thank you.....I think you may be onto something there....hmmmm. :biggrin: :cool:

i'm going to get new shocks in the near future,only 42k miles on mine but 19 years,and will probably get either bilstein or oem,leaning toward bilstein because of comments on here and their general high quality.i don't want more ride harshness,and it doesn't seem like they have it.i do wonder if anyone knows if there is anything special about the oems as far as being especially well-made,or carefully matched to the oem suspension,or if they are just regular honda shocks.

The engineer inside of me says that spring sag should be affected by usage style and miles much moreso than age. This would be unlike the age-old timing belt replacement question. Anyone disagree, from experience?

HI Mitch,

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, if you go back to STOCK springs, wouldn't that affect drop-height? - Unless of course the shocks that you are using have a low enough perch to preserve the drop-height.
I believe OEM springs + Bilsteins work nicely according to the rest of the people here.
My current setup : Eibach Springs (sagging) + OEM shocks
But my question mainly concerns ride height.

Last edited:
I'd think that dampers get worn out depending on how much they get pumped through their range of motion – i.e. usage style and miles. The car is always compressing the springs even when it's just sitting in the garage, so if you have springs that tend to sag, age probably plays a big role there.

I had Eibach springs and stock shocks and the car kept getting lower until the point where it started scraping going into my driveway. I hadn't heard of the stock springs sagging over time so I guess they are a higher quality than what Eibach USA sells for NSXs. Bilstein's lifetime warranty was confidence-inspiring on the shock absorber side. So to keep my NSX a bit lowered, I installed used OEM springs with new Bilstein dampers set to their lower ride height. Like that, the ride height is subjectively the same as it was with the Eibach springs before those started sagging and the ride height has stayed the same for many years now.

Back